In-Process Quality Control Job Scope

M

Muhd Firdaus

I am seeking your valuable opinion for the following issue,

I have received negative feedback from my Qc team about one of my qc inspector. According to them,they have found that this Qc girl are very often doing task which is not related to her job function. They also informed me that,very often she let herself getting involve into production job such as helping production to do packing and many other thing which not related to her. She is currently assign to handle all Inprocess Quality Control and need to spend most of her time with production.

As a new guy to the company,what should i do to overcome this problem?
i am thinking to conduct a short meeting with all my team member and to explain on their job scope as for them to clearly understand their role in the company. Any other idea?, please share with me...thank you

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Re: Inprocess Qc Job scope

Hello again Muhd,

Since the QC girl's activities were brought to your attention it seems clear it is a matter of concern to someone. My question is, why is it a concern?

Does her assisting with packing render her unavailable for QC activities?

Is there a concern about her inspecting her own work?

While doing QC work in a machine shop in the U.S. I frequently helped with cleaning and packaging of parts. In Western organizations we are very often "flexible" for the sake of efficiency. In fact, we could probably do a time study and determine I spent more time in production activities than in QC. ISO 9001 makes no clear distinction except that "Auditors shall not audit their own work" in 8.2.2 so I presume this is an organizational concern.

So, I would pursue it to the extent of value a change in behavior would bring, with the eventual idea that flexibility might also add value.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
First I would document all of your staff's jobs, whether in an official job description or just a in a list of bullet points.
Then I would meet with each one and go over these job descriptions to make sure they reflect reality.
Then I would have a team meeting and share the job descriptions with the team so they can all see who is responsible for what and when they can help out with other functions.

This is making the assumption that the complaint is coming from within your group. If it's coming from outside your group, I would still do the above steps, but then would meet with the supervisor(s) of the people who are complaining and discuss the situation.

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
One question, is she under-employed in her current QC role? I can see how someone who's role does not fill their time fully can find other activities to fill their time or to add value. If this is the case then it could be said to be good that they looked for value added activities. It is also true that the role might need reviewing and amending to make sure that person adds value where it is most advantageous to the company. It does not have to be the case a QC person is completely distant from production if they can carry out their role in QC objectively (auditing own work apart of course which is not the case in goods inwards, i.e. from somewhere else).

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
hmm. I echo Jennifer's questions...but I will be even more pointed. too often QC/QA are seen as and act like POLICE. I agree that inspectors can't allow production to see quality as a roadblock to shipments. Bit I've also found that over all quality improves when QC sees that they are collaborative partners with Production to manufacture and ship quality product. the organization only succeeds when each group sees their role as part of the system not as adversaries. if they see themselves as adversaries then you know there is something wrong. fix that and you don't have to worry about narrow job descriptions.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
eule del ayre Merging FMEA and Quality Control Process Flow FMEA and Control Plans 0
M QCOS (Quality Control Operation Sheet) - Process inspired from GM India? FMEA and Control Plans 3
T Quality Control System Ideas to stream line the PPAP Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A TQPC (Total Quality Process Control) for Injection Molding Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
S Quality Control during the Production Process (Space Constraints for QC Inspectors) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
I SPC (Statistical Process Control) and SQC (Statistical Quality Control) - Difference? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
S Difference between SPC (process control) and SQC (quality control) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
L Manufacturing and quality control process in furniture production company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Process Measurable - Ideal process measurable for a quality control department ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Is quality control a value adding process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 112
normhowe "The Problem with Quality Management: Process orientation, controllability and zero-defect processes as modern myths" Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
B Two excellent examples of process capability analysis from Quality Magazine Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
Pau Calvo Quality Management process is mandatory in ISO9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
B Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) A Key Process of the Quality Management System Dec 17... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
F Process Review - What is the ISO requirement for reviewing SOPs and quality documentation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
O Examples of Critical process parameter (CPP) and Critical quality attribute (CQA) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Improving Quality inspection gate in one piece flow manufacturing process Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
M CMQ/OE or SSGB? I'm Quality management rather than process improvement oriented Career and Occupation Discussions 1
Sidney Vianna AS9100 News PPAP in the Aerospace Sector - What is it? AS9145 - Requirements for Advanced Product Quality Planning and Production Part Approval Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
M Establishing a FTQ (First Time Quality) process for an engine assembly line Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
L Supplier Approval Process – Should the Quality Department be Excluded? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
Q Passed ASQ Certified Quality Process Analyst Exam! What next? Professional Certifications and Degrees 7
R Material allowed in the ASQ CQPA (Certified Quality Process Analyst) Exam ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
M QAM (Quality Assurance Matrix) for a sterilization process Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
M Does a process map satisfy 21 CFR 820.20(d) (Quality Plan)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
R 5.4.1 Quality Objectives - Nonconformity: The process was not fully effective ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 36
J How to measure process quality? Is DPPM the correct metric? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
WCHorn Quality Digest article on the Process Approach to ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A Recommendations for the CQPA (Certified Quality Process Analyst) Exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
W Design and Development, and Assembly Process Quality Metrics AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Incoming, In-Process, Final and Outgoing Quality Inspection Procedure examples Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Y Must every Process have a Quality Objective? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
T QIP (Quality Improvement Process) for CAPA Process. Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
M Seeking input for a process-based quality management system training course ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J Quality Management Process Model Possible Interactions and Effects ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
I How to calculate the Current Quality Level (CQL) of a Process Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
J Quality Clinic Process Charts Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
O Process Indicators in a Quality Manual Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
A Are all In-Process Quality Records required in final QA Batch Record Review. 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
AnaMariaVR2 Pharma ?Quality by Design? (QbD): An Introduction, Process Development & Applications Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
Q AQL - How do I determine Acceptable Quality Level (AQL) for In-Process Inspection? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 2
V Differences between Business Process Reengineering (BPR) and Total Quality Management Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
A Where to define Process Tailoring Form used in CMMI in the ISO 9001 Quality Manual? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
F Updating a Quality Manual from ISO 9001 to ISO TS 16949 - Process Mapping IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
K The Process Interaction Matrix from Quality Works Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 9
V Defining Quality Assurance's Role in R&D (Product and Process Development) Design and Development of Products and Processes 11
B Process Approach to Auditing Quality Management System Internal Auditing 12
H AS9100C - Do Quality personnel have to perform the In-Process and Final Inspections? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
C Certified Quality Process Analyst vs. Certified Quality Improvement Associate Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
S Marketing Process as part of QMS (Quality Management System)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17