In which country do I certify my company? (ISO 13485)

L

lbc3003

Hi everybody,

I need your help on the certification of my company which has different locations in the world :bonk:
I have to certify a subsidiary of my company under the ISO 13485 which is based in the country A and which is the legal manufacturer of the products. All the employees of the company are physically based in the subsidiary in the country B. Our product are design and manufactured in countries C & D and they go directly from these country to the client (a subsidiary of the company) in country B (where the employees are based). The product never go in the country A. Where can I realize the certification of my company based in country A? in country A? Can I realize it from country B where all the employees are?
Hope I'm clear in the explanation...:)
Thanks for your help!
:thanx:

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
Re: in which country do I certify my company (ISO13485)?

Hello IBC3003,
Not sure that I got it all figured out :) but the address of the legal manufactured should be included in your ISO 13485 certification.

Practically speaking, you can apply for one certificate with multi-sties. In your case site A and B together. Site C and D are your contract manufacturers; they don't have to have ISO 13485 although it would be nice. It's important that the quality manual per site explains which activity is being performed in that site, and to have good quality agreements with sites C and D.

Cheers,
Shimon

L

lbc3003

Re: in which country do I certify my company (ISO13485)?

Thanks Shimon for you quickly answer! The thing is we have to certify the legal manufacturer of our product (the company in country A) as soon as possible so it will be faster to certify only this company. But in country A, physically there is nothing. The 3 employees of this company are physically based in country B (because they work within other subsidiaries of the group). So they realize activities of the company A from country B. Design and manufacturing are outsourced. All other activities are either outsourced or realized by the 3 employees in country B. So I would like to know if we can certify the company A with it's address in country A from another country (e.g B where the employees realize the activities of the company)? Or we have to realize the certification audit in the country where the company is based?
thanks a lot!

Lucie

shimonv

Re: In which country do I certify my company? (ISO13485)

Hi Lucie,
I think I understand what you are up against, and I've been there unfortunately.
You need to understand the the certification body has to audit the site whose address appears on the certificate.

As I mentioned before, your quality manual for site A has to be very clear about which functions are being carried where, and you should have a good quality agreement between site A and site B to support your statements.

For the onsite audit you should send your team from site B to site A with the QMS files so they can host the auditor and show him records to inspect. Keep in mind that the certification body may require auditing of site B as well before issuing the ISO certificate.

It is recommended to talk to the certification body ahead of time so as to give them "heads up" and present to them what you plan to do so there won't be any misunderstanding.

Goodluck,
Shimon

L

lbc3003

That's exactly what I didn't want to do...:nope:
Ok now I know how I have to deal with it.
Thanks a lot Shimon!

L

lbc3003

Hi Lucie,
I think I understand what you are up against, and I've been there unfortunately.
You need to understand the the certification body has to audit the site whose address appears on the certificate.

As I mentioned before, your quality manual for site A has to be very clear about which functions are being carried where, and you should have a good quality agreement between site A and site B to support your statements.

For the onsite audit you should send your team from site B to site A with the QMS files so they can host the auditor and show him records to inspect. Keep in mind that the certification body may require auditing of site B as well before issuing the ISO certificate.

It is recommended to talk to the certification body ahead of time so as to give them "heads up" and present to them what you plan to do so there won't be any misunderstanding.

Goodluck,
Shimon
Thanks but I have another question. In our site A we do nothing, there is no activities on this site. Everything in done in site B. So the auditor will come anyway in this site? Because there is nothing to check, I don´t see what point of the standard they can audit on an empty site. if they have to go on the site A, can we do a power to the attorney we have there to realize the audit for example? or only an employee of the company can be audited?
thanks!

Lucie

shimonv

Thanks but I have another question. In our site A we do nothing, there is no activities on this site. Everything in done in site B. So the auditor will come anyway in this site? Because there is nothing to check, I don´t see what point of the standard they can audit on an empty site. if they have to go on the site A, can we do a power to the attorney we have there to realize the audit for example? or only an employee of the company can be audited?
thanks!

Lucie
Hi Lucie,
I believe you cannot avoid audit in site A, even if it's an empty parking lot...
The site whose address appears on the certificate has to be audited.
If you like, you can try and find some 'dodgy' certification body from China or North Korea that might be willing to go along with your plan :)

About the attorney you mentioned, he needs to be in some way a member of your organisation and appear on your org charts for site A. Even if you power him as acting site manager he needs to know what's what in your QMS. It's a long shot, I think.

I believe you owe me coffee..

Best,
Shimon

L

lbc3003

Sure I do!
The issue is that my company is legally created in site A but the employees work remotly from another country.:bonk: So employees have to go on site A for the certification? There is no way to avoid this... even going under multisite process
Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M CE Mark and 510(k) -Global registration requirements for every country Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
DMLqms Country of Origin on Commercial Invoices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Medical device country of origin Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
MDD_QNA Country of origin - Made in EU or Made in Finland? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J In-Country Representative - Thailand Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
Z In which country is essential to have and IEC 60601 CB Report? Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
E How do you identify what standards a country recognizes outside of FDA, EU, Health Canada Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
P Notified body located in an other country than manufacturing company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
T Change to Country of Origin on Medical Device Labeling Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
K IoT, AI, Big Data and National Strategies of Other Countries (in your country, do you have any?) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 12
M Medical Device News EU - List of national market surveillance authorities by sector and country EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Is "Made in (Country)" a labelling requirement? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 8
C Legal requirement for same indications as in Country of Origin Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
F Class IIa/b in-country registrations x5 ? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
rob73 Worldwide device regulatory authorities at country level Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
M Forced NOT to meet End Customer Expectations - Corrupt Third World Country ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4.2.2 - Country of Receipt - The provider's or supplier's country? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M IATF:16949 Common Quality Manual - Company is in Country A and Country B Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
K Markets with No Prior Approvals? Without Country of Origin or other Prior Approval Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
M A non-religious country, where you don't drink? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 14
F Country of Origin or Made In Tags - Where a country is a principality EU Medical Device Regulations 11
Q Efficient way to manage different country Medical Device Regulations Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
K Country/region specific medical device regulatory requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Correlation matrix of ISO 13485 and other country regulations Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
D Can country-specific regulatory timelines be shortened if the device has a CE mark? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
P Law restrictions in each country [REACH, CONFLICT MINERALS, Canada Gazette] RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
K DFARS (Defense Federal Acquisition Regulations) Certs for a Qualifying Country Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
0 ISO 9001:2008 interpretation not the same per country? (Netherlands and France) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Becoming an In Country Entity in Foreign Countries Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
Marc Cross Country - Traveling in Style! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
P Certification of an office in different country ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
V Analysis of Raw Materials, as per pharmacopoeia ... of target OR originating country US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S Use of Made in XXX Country on Medical Device Labels Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
F Specific Country Requirements for Medical Device Registration in Europe CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M 7.4.1.1 Statutory & Regulatory Conformity: Legal Requirements of which Country? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
N Foreign Manufacturer requesting FDA's CFG over their country's FSC 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
G Country of Origin Medical Labeling - Foreign Content, Domestic Assembly Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
S Bringing a Medical Device Sample from a Foreign Country into the US 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
S Power Supply Cord Requirements of the Country where the Product is Sold EU Medical Device Regulations 5
C Class I Medical Devices - Country of Origin Marking on Retail Packaging (Labeling) Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
K How do you celebrate Halloween in your country? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 23
V Production Line Change - Moving to another country IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
C Labeling Requirements and COO (Country of Origin) Other US Medical Device Regulations 13
R EU Country Specific Medical Device Registration Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 33
T FTC "Made In U.S.A" Labeling Rules vs. Saudi Arabia's "Country of Origin" Regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
Ajit Basrur Country Comparison - Life Expectancy at Birth Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
B Country CE Mark Registration Requirements in EU (France and Germany) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
R Class III Medical Device in Netherlands - Member State Country Notifications? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J What do you call this calibration device in your country? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
P How to Calibrate Laser Micrometer when no Calibration Company in the Country? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3