Inactive FAA Repair Station Certificates

A

anitah652

As a general rule, what is the FAA's view on repair station certificates for repair stations that are not active. In other words, there is an a repair station certificate, but no employees, an empty building, and no work being performed. How long would they let the certificate remain "active" before taking the certificate away?

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
As a general rule, what is the FAA's view on repair station certificates for repair stations that are not active. In other words, there is an a repair station certificate, but no employees, an empty building, and no work being performed. How long would they let the certificate remain "active" before taking the certificate away?
You should notify them immediately. I believe you're in violation. See far 145.105 and 145.151. You have a change in facilities and you do not have personnel capable of performing a repair.

A

anitah652

What if you still have an empty building and a person on standby? Your facility is still there, just not in use.

A

anitah652

FAR 145.105 is very specific about changing the location of the repair station (which is not being done), and changing any housing or facilities that could affect the ability to perform maintenance (also not being done, the building is empty, so any work could be performed in it). And there is a person on stand-by. So there is adequate personnel. I appreciate any other interpretations!:D

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
FAR 145.105 is very specific about changing the location of the repair station (which is not being done), and changing any housing or facilities that could affect the ability to perform maintenance (also not being done, the building is empty, so any work could be performed in it). And there is a person on stand-by. So there is adequate personnel. I appreciate any other interpretations!:D

You must still notify the FAA of the changes. There is no way of getting around this, in my opinion.

errhine

Involved - Posts
The FAA would have to be notified in the change of the roster. The PMI would know that there is only one person. If that person has the capability to perform the repairs, even if they choose not to exercise that ability, it would technically be an 'active' repair station. It would be up to the PMI to revoke the certificate.

Without more information, this would all be conjecture. May I ask why you are asking the question?

A

anitah652

Because I have found myself responsible for a repair station such as I am describing.:mg:

errhine

Involved - Posts
If you feel that the repair station certificate needs to be revoked, why not have an aside to your PMI and make sure they know that it should be 'looked at'. As the accountable manager, I am sure you know the regulations well enough to lead your PMI to ask the important questions. That is, if you want it to be gone. :notme:

On the other hand, do you meet the requirements of the repair station? Qualified to perform the work and follow your repair station manual? The repair station I work for was in the same boat, gave up the cert, kept a man in the building to keep the business license and the test cell alive, when the company was ready to become active, the just went through the cert process again.

Top Bottom