Incoming Inspection AQL Sampling of Bulk Textiles

J

John356Boy

I have a company that imports safety related textiles – suppose in automotive terms you could relate this to say seat belt webbing material. We have no ability to check the manufacturing process. We are down to imposing a statically valid sampling system on incoming – very old philosophy I know but...

I have long time ago used the old Mil 105 and am familiar with the newer BS6001 / ISO2859 but this was for discrete parts. I do know that the moment you start tampering with the sampling the whole credibility goes out of the window – suppose crux of the problem is how to take random samples from a reel of bulk material?

Help required!

John

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
I have a company that imports safety related textiles – suppose in automotive terms you could relate this to say seat belt webbing material. We have no ability to check the manufacturing process. We are down to imposing a statically valid sampling system on incoming – very old philosophy I know but...

I have long time ago used the old Mil 105 and am familiar with the newer BS6001 / ISO2859 but this was for discrete parts. I do know that the moment you start tampering with the sampling the whole credibility goes out of the window – suppose crux of the problem is how to take random samples from a reel of bulk material?

Help required!

John
Can someone help John?

Thank you very much.

Stijloor.

A

Alexisss

I am sure there is a procedure described in an ISO/TR that I have at home. I am currently on a honeymoon trip :)

I promise to check upon return and tell you the number! :bigwave:

Tim Folkerts

Super Moderator
There are a few questions that come to mind ...

• Is it possible to check material near the center? If not, you almost have to use parts of the material before you can get to later parts to test.
  • Is the test destructive? Do you have to cut the material to get a sample? This might leave you with pieces that are not suitable for use (for example, a 100 m roll where you test a total of 1 m, but you are left with random length pieces that are tough to work with)
  • Is testing expensive? Does it shut down production to get test pieces near the middle of the roll?
Sampling is an "insurance policy" against really bad products. The goal should to come up with an "insurance policy" that makes economic sense -- the cost of testing is less than the cost of failures. You will have to decide what makes economic sense for your situation (or tells us more and ask more questions).

Tim

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Incoming (Receiving) Inspection - Is it really necessary that we follow the AQL? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 7
D Incoming (Receiving) Inspection - General form for incoming part inspection Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 17
T Primary & Secondary Inspection Definitions - Incoming, In-process & Final Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Ajit Basrur Incoming Inspection for Instructions for Use (IFU) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
R Is pre-conditioning supplier component before incoming inspection tests allowed? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 16
T How to identify requirements for 'Incoming inspection' Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
J Incoming Inspection Plans under Design Control (part of DMR)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
L How to define R & D Receiving (Incoming) Inspection Plan Design and Development of Products and Processes 18
M Incoming, In-Process, Final and Outgoing Quality Inspection Procedure examples Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
M Partial Incoming (Receiving) Inspection Delivery Inspection. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
C Incoming Inspection Database Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
C Incoming Inspection Acceptance Sampling by Variables and Minitab Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
S Calibration/Certification requirements for an Incoming Inspection Fixture Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
M Incoming (Receiving) Inspection Procedure - Please Review Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
K Incoming (Receiving) Inspection for Commodity Items used in Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
C Medical Device On The Floor Receiving (Incoming) Quality Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
S Inspection & Verificaton of Incoming Material - How best one can accomplish ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
R Incoming Inspection, Handling and Storage Procedure for Lead Acid Batteries Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
T Is Material Certification Required for Incoming Material (Receiving) Inspection? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
N How to apply Incoming (Receiving) Inspection to Customer Supplied Material? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
L Critical Characteristics in Incoming (Receiving) Inspection - Inspection Levels Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
P Implement FAI process in my Incoming (Receiving) Inspection Procedure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Incoming Receiving Inspection from Sister Plant IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
M Incoming Quality Receiving Inspection Report sample Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
S Incoming Goods Process Flowchart for Inspection - Rejection / Approval example Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
M Incoming (Receiving) Inspection of SMT components Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
T Which control chart for incoming (receiving) inspection - Sample size of 10 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
K Incoming Materials First Article Inspection (FAI) Procedure needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S OPL (Open Point List) in audit - Incoming inspection result Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 15
L Certificate of Conformity? Supplier incoming material inspection CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
J Auditing Incoming Materials (Store) - No Procedures nor Inspection carried out. Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
H Medical Device Manufacturer: Incoming Raw Material Inspection ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
W Identifying Critical Components for Incoming Inspection ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 27
H Incoming Inspection Sampling Plan ISO 2859-1/ ISO 2859-2 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
C Incoming Inspection - Consignment Storage of some Purchased Parts Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
G Ball Grid Array (BGA) component Incoming Inspection IPC-7095 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
G IPC-Std-610D Component Incoming (Receiving) Visual Inspection Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 16
J Incoming Inspection Skip Lot - Industrial staples Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
K Incoming Receiving Inspection Form Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
T I would like to implement ISO 2859 standard for Incoming (Receiving) Inspection Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
E Should we do Incoming Inspection (Receiving Inspection)? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
Q Streamlining incoming audit - 2 separate inspection processes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Z How to handle Incoming (Receiving) Inspection as a PFMEA item? FMEA and Control Plans 36
T Return to Vendor processes - Supplier parts which fail incoming inspection Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
I Incoming parts inspection in automotive industry Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
M Incoming Inspection Procedure - Seeking an example Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
B Process FMEA Scope - Does PFMEA cover Incoming (Receiving) Inspection & Dock Audit? FMEA and Control Plans 8
S Incoming Inspection trends? ANSI Z1.4 / Z1.9 - What is normal? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
ccochran ISO 9001:2000 Clauses 7.4.3 & 8.2.4 - Incoming inspection records - need your input Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 30
W Product Audits must include raw material or incoming inspection process? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14