Incoming (Receiving) Inspection for Commodity Items used in Medical Devices

kansascitysteve

Starting to get Involved
We currently are ISO 13485 and manufacture class I and Class II medical devices.

We perform incoming inspection of raw materials using ANSI Z1.4. We also have implemented a basic skip lot program.

My question is related to common commodity items such as screws, washers, nuts, bolts, couplings, adapters, hose clamps, tubing, etc. that can be purchased nearly anywhere. All of these items would be caught in the manufacturing process if they were defective and we have never had any failures from our incoming inspections.

Does any think its problematic to receive them directly into inventory without a receiving inspection? I do not see any value in inspecting numerous samples from a lot of commodity items each time they arrive.

Can anyone else give me an idea of how they handle basic commodity items and the incoming inspection process. Again, none of these items are critical to our product and are extremely low risk parts.

Any thoughts?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Incoming (Receiving) Inspection for Commodity Items

I assume that you are referring to non implant commodity products (screws etc), my response works on this assumption, but could be applied to all goods in inspection.

I think it is entirely reasonable and justifiable to apply different inspection routines to different products in different risk groups; therefore a low risk item may just be counted in while a high risk item may undergo more rigorous inspection...counting, measuring critical dimensions etc.

ISO 13485 does not prescribe what inspection you must carry out on purchased items; it is left to the company to decide how to do that, just justify and document why you do what you do.

BradM

Leader
Admin

Hello Steve!:bigwave:

My question is related to common commodity items such as screws, washers, nuts, bolts, couplings, adapters, hose clamps, tubing, etc. that can be purchased nearly anywhere. All of these items would be caught in the manufacturing process if they were defective and we have never had any failures from our incoming inspections.
In this section, I have a question about this line:

All of these items would be caught in the manufacturing process
Are you suggesting that they would be caught in the supplier that made the product? So you are company B, and you're buying from company A. Company A would catch the failures? Are you sure?:D

I would think that any reduced sampling/ inspection plan would be dependant on historical performance, risk level, upstream quality programs, etc. If you have evaluated the sampling/quality/inspection plan for company A and have documented that evaluation, I would think you could demonstrate that a reduced sampling plan is justified.

If you can demonstrate that your upstream suppliers has sufficient sampling/inspection plans, then I would say that you could reduce your sampling plan. However, if they have no demonstrated sampling plan, then I would say you should have an adequate sampling plan based on your risk level. :)

kansascitysteve

Starting to get Involved

Thanks for the responses.

Are you suggesting that they would be caught in the supplier that made the product?
I was likely not clear enough. I was saying that if we received a bad batch of simple screws, then our production/assembly people would not be able to use them and we could route them through our nonconforming product process. It is a correct assumption that the commodity items I was referring to are non-implantable items and all things that could be purchased at nearly any hardware store.... I just was unsure if receiving these items straight to the shelf with no formal inspection would create any issues during an FDA or ISO audit.

T

tomvehoski

What is the risk to your product if you receive zinc coated screws instead of stainless and your operators don't catch it? Pan head vs. flat head? 3/16 instead of 1/4" length?

If no risk, send them straight to stock. If a little risk (like rusting 10 years down the road), do a basic verification on important parts like stainless (if any). Sampling plans and checking to make sure that there is not a screw with a miscut head are not going to add value.

kansascitysteve

Starting to get Involved

If we determine there is no risk and we send items straight to stock, do we still need a written inspection record showing that someone verified the correct part # ordered vs the packing slip?...and signature/date?

pkost

Trusted Information Resource

There is no such thing as "no risk"...never underestimate the ingenuity of fools.

I think it is appropriate to just sign off that you have received the goods and that they match the purchase order part#. I would consider this to be the absolute minimum for goods in inspection

Does any think its problematic to receive them directly into inventory without a receiving inspection? I do not see any value in inspecting numerous samples from a lot of commodity items each time they arrive.

Can anyone else give me an idea of how they handle basic commodity items and the incoming inspection process. Again, none of these items are critical to our product and are extremely low risk parts.
Any thoughts?
No problem at all. Why are you forcing yourself to inspect numerous samples ?
Original pack identification, Part number identification, Make identification, all these are inspection in its simplest form which even the inventory officer at stores can do with appropriate training.

kansascitysteve

Starting to get Involved

Why are you forcing yourself to inspect numerous samples ?
We have been using ANSI Z1.4 and typically looking at 20 samples and have never found any issues and seems to no longer have any value. I wasnt sure if simply receiving them into inventory based on correct packing list and item verification would cause any issues with FDA about inspections.

I appreciate all of the feedback and guidance!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Incoming (Receiving) Inspection - General form for incoming part inspection Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 17
L How to define R & D Receiving (Incoming) Inspection Plan Design and Development of Products and Processes 18
M Partial Incoming (Receiving) Inspection Delivery Inspection. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
M Incoming (Receiving) Inspection Procedure - Please Review Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
C Medical Device On The Floor Receiving (Incoming) Quality Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
T Is Material Certification Required for Incoming Material (Receiving) Inspection? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
N How to apply Incoming (Receiving) Inspection to Customer Supplied Material? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
L Critical Characteristics in Incoming (Receiving) Inspection - Inspection Levels Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
P Implement FAI process in my Incoming (Receiving) Inspection Procedure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Incoming Receiving Inspection from Sister Plant IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
M Incoming Quality Receiving Inspection Report sample Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
M Incoming (Receiving) Inspection of SMT components Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
T Which control chart for incoming (receiving) inspection - Sample size of 10 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
G IPC-Std-610D Component Incoming (Receiving) Visual Inspection Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 16
K Incoming Receiving Inspection Form Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
T I would like to implement ISO 2859 standard for Incoming (Receiving) Inspection Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
E Should we do Incoming Inspection (Receiving Inspection)? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
Z How to handle Incoming (Receiving) Inspection as a PFMEA item? FMEA and Control Plans 36
B Process FMEA Scope - Does PFMEA cover Incoming (Receiving) Inspection & Dock Audit? FMEA and Control Plans 8
L Incoming (Receiving) Inspection - Is it really necessary that we follow the AQL? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 7
N Incoming Product Quality - Receiving inspection for chemical substance Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
C ISO13485 Incoming Receiving Parts Verification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
K LEAN in the Incoming/Receiving Department Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
F Supplier Measurements vs. Incoming (Receiving) Measurements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
B Sample Size for Incoming (Receiving) Materials and Parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
T Incoming (Receiving) Quality Control Laboratory for Raw Paper Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
P Incoming (Receiving) Components Inspections Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
W Incoming Certification Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
J Incoming Stock QC, where to start? Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
J Incoming Inspection Records using Excel File ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Requirements as a Distributor for Incoming Inspection of Purchased Finished Medical Device Medical Device Related Regulations 0
J Action Not defined in procedure - NC - Incoming inspection AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M Material incoming to the production process reflected in PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 9
silentmonkey How to decide what characteristics need to be verified during incoming inspection? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Incoming insepction needs repair - sell as "new", "brand new", or something else Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
T Primary & Secondary Inspection Definitions - Incoming, In-process & Final Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Ajit Basrur Incoming Inspection for Instructions for Use (IFU) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
R Is pre-conditioning supplier component before incoming inspection tests allowed? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 16
T How to identify requirements for 'Incoming inspection' Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
J Incoming Inspection Plans under Design Control (part of DMR)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
T Can incoming and outgoing areas be allocated inside the store? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
R Policy Statement for FDA CFR 820 Acceptance Activities of Incoming Products. Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Incoming, In-Process, Final and Outgoing Quality Inspection Procedure examples Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
C Incoming Inspection Database Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
A Incoming Material Quality Assurance Cell Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
R PFMEA (process FMEA) for Incoming Material stage FMEA and Control Plans 7
C Incoming Inspection Acceptance Sampling by Variables and Minitab Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
S Calibration/Certification requirements for an Incoming Inspection Fixture Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
T Incorporating incoming procedures (ISO9001:2008) with ISO 13485:2003 Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
S IQC (Incoming Quality Control) requirement on Electric Power Adaptor for US and CE Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3