Incomplete forms and records missing date or a name

Haddad9921

Starting to get Involved
Hi,
I have a question about incomplete forms and records. I am talking about forms and records missing date for example or a name. Is that considered to be a nonconforming situation under 4.2.3, 4.2.4 or any other clause(s) of ISO 9001-2008?
Thank you

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
It depends upon the specific scenario. Have a read through How to deal with incomplete forms and see if your question is answered there. If not, come back to this discussion thread and ask a more detailed question.

The bottom line is that all forms must be completely completed unless otherwise stated in your internal documentation. This should be part of the instruction and/or training employees responsible for using and completing the form receive.

insect warfare

QA=Question Authority
Trusted Information Resource
Hi,
I have a question about incomplete forms and records. I am talking about forms and records missing date for example or a name. Is that considered to be a nonconforming situation under 4.2.3, 4.2.4 or any other clause(s) of ISO 9001-2008?
Thank you
If you're referring to records, 4.2.4 is the relevant clause. But nowhere does it explicitly state that incomplete fields on forms and such are by and large a nonconforming situation. It merely states that "records shall remain legible, readily identifiable and retrievable".

The classification of nonconforming will most likely come down to the degree in which the missing information will have a negative impact on business performance. More serious infractions or omissions should always be given the higher priority for correction or corrective action. If the missing information is important to your business, common sense dictates that it is probably a NC in one way or another.

Brian :rolleyes:

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I respectfully disagree. Even in ISO 9001 (which is no more than "Basic Business Practices 101") incomplete forms (which become records) are going to be problematic.

You are correct in saying ISO 9001 does not explicitly require that forms be completed - But just consider the aspects of responsibilities (e.g.: no name entered).

Relating non-completed forms to "business performance" is not appropriate in my opinion.

A "Form" with omissions is no less than an "in-complete" record.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
<snip> forms and records missing date for example or a name. Is that considered to be a nonconforming situation under 4.2.3, 4.2.4 or any other clause(s) of ISO 9001-2008?
A nonconformance is a situation where someone is not doing what is expected. Lots of companies have forms where not all fields are not filled out. Is it right? Is it wrong? We could debate for a long time.

Some information is clearly necessary, depending on the form. As an auditor, if it appears there is meaningful information missing, it would be an audit trail. It frequently leads to a nonconformance against records. If non-meaningful info is missing, I would probably just move on to more meaningful discussions, or perhaps suggest they modify the form.

insect warfare

QA=Question Authority
Trusted Information Resource
I respectfully disagree. Even in ISO 9001 (which is no more than "Basic Business Practices 101") incomplete forms (which become records) are going to be problematic.

You are correct in saying ISO 9001 does not explicitly require that forms be completed - But just consider the aspects of responsibilities (e.g.: no name entered).

Relating non-completed forms to "business performance" is not appropriate in my opinion.

A "Form" with omissions is no less than an "in-complete" record.
Marc, I was thinking in broader terms of "information", not just the completeness of paper forms, but also the use of electronic data (which too qualifies as "records") as an input for decision-making. If negative trends begin to manifest themselves, a lack of meaningful information may lead to missed opportunities, so I believe (in this context) it is appropriate to relate to the business performance angle.

For example, if a large company experiences a sudden increase in product failures but (because of poor IT planning) their shop floor control data does not provide traceability to specific users, an opportunity was missed either to re-align the under-performing individuals to the related objectives or to re-assign them to less critical tasks, thereby allowing those persons to continue to operate undetected. This can significantly affect business performance in a negative way, if not corrected in a timely manner.

I do think that Helmut summed the "paper form" thing up with:

A nonconformance is a situation where someone is not doing what is expected. Lots of companies have forms where not all fields are not filled out. Is it right? Is it wrong? We could debate for a long time.

Some information is clearly necessary, depending on the form. As an auditor, if it appears there is meaningful information missing, it would be an audit trail. It frequently leads to a nonconformance against records. If non-meaningful info is missing, I would probably just move on to more meaningful discussions, or perhaps suggest they modify the form.
Brian :rolleyes:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J How to deal with incomplete forms Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
H Incomplete IVD kit under IVD Regulation EU Medical Device Regulations 1
I Audit Nonconformances - Can reported corrective actions be incomplete? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Incomplete Unannounced Audit - No Active Production at the time ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
Q Incomplete Process Sheets Closure - DHR - Doc Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
D Incomplete DHF: Re-do or plug gaps? Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
C Incomplete Internal Audit at time of Re-Certification Audit Internal Auditing 5
B Filling Out FDA Form 3654 when Testing is Incomplete 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Q Rectification and/or Corrections to existing 'incomplete' records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 7
D Monitoring Number of Incomplete Items & p-chart - Medical Records Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M Design Input - 820.30(c) - Addressing incomplete, ambiguous... requirements Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
M Forms review Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
T Controlled Forms or documented requirements for records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Q Serialization and Reconciliation of Forms Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 7
I When do FORMs and Log Files become Records? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
G Any good examples of CAPA forms that include a risk based approach? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
Q Forms Master List versus Record Matrix ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M What to do about Non Conformance forms that are deleted or missing? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
R Purchase order forms - who keeps them? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
GreatNate Various Audit Templates - Canned forms and templates Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
W Informational MDSAP Substantial change / Change of notice forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D Internal audit forms or checklists for a medical/veterinary laboratory General Auditing Discussions 5
I Document levels and approval requirements for lower level documents like work instructions, forms etc. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
S Supplier Audit Assessment / Evaluation Forms IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
K Do Forms and Templates ALWAYS become Records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
M ISO13485 Documentation packs (manual, procedures, forms etc) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Medical Device Servicing - Forms and Signature ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Control of Forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
M AS9100D Process Map Requirements - PEAR Forms AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
O AS9102 FAI report Forms 1-3 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
QSM_Rick Controlling Multi-Tab Microsoft Excel Forms Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
R Standards Data Forms (form 3654) - American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
H Manufacturer vs. Supplier - Which is which on PPAP Forms APQP and PPAP 3
pammesue ISO 9001:2008 Design and Development Process & Forms examples wanted Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
P FDA has just released the forms for "Small Business Qualification and Certification" Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
W Form Approval - Blank forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
W Unattached (stand-alone) Forms acceptable for AS9100C? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
J Training SOP and Forms Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
M Some ISO 9001:2015 Forms and Templates Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
P Customer Forms as external documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
T Controlled Forms - Centralized or Decentralized? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Document Numbers (Identification) on Forms (AS9100) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
S Clinical Trial Informed Consent Forms ("retro-signing") US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
A How to Verify Supplier I-9 Forms for ITAR Requirements Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
Gman2 Control of Documents and (FORMS) on a Computer Network ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
MichaelDRoach Where in ISO 9001 is White Out on Forms and Records Prohibited? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
K List of procedures and forms or records required by ISO 15189:2012 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Photocopy of Data Entry in Traveler Forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
cscalise Separate Forms or Procedure Attachments - What's more common? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C Controlled Forms Conundrum Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2