Incomplete nonconformance records

I am conducting an AS9100D audit at a partnering sign. There are dozens of Nonconformance Records going back as far as 2016 that are still in a NEW state, have little to no nonconformance description and have not been updated. I’m thinking this is a finding in the nonconformance or records control arena but I’m looking for the best clause reference as I bet I will get push back. Inputs are greatly appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

n25philly

Starting to get Involved
I would say a good starting point is to ask how they handle 10.2.1 h, take specific actions when timely and effective corrective actions are not achieved

John Predmore

Trusted Information Resource
8.7.1 is the section on Control of Nonconforming Outputs (NC), but that is for the purpose of “preventing their unintended use or delivery.” Yet, your question indicates the problem you see is no action on NC product, years after being identified as NC.

It is clear the production process has created NC product, as evidenced by NC records you mentioned. How can the organization be confident they captured and contained ALL of the NC product ever created, and no NC product was inadvertently used or escaped? At a minimum, a proper investigation would give assurance how effective their inspection methods are in detecting and containing such NC product. More directly, what has the organization done to investigate the cause of the NC product and reduce or prevent recurrence?

If this is also your concern, refer to section 10.2 to write an audit finding. AS9100 section 10.2.1 goes beyond ISO9001 and requires “documented information that defines the nonconformity and corrective action management processes”. If years have passed with no records answering these questions, they are lacking documented evidence their 10.2.1 records are adequate and their 10.2.2 actions are effective.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Maybe I have brain fog (can't rule anything out a week post-Covid) but I do not see any mention of whether these NCs were issued in response to Nonconforming output or nonconforming product.

In either case, the fact is the Nonconformance process appears to be dysfunctional. There could be a lot of reasons, but overall the Nonconformance process is extremely important and needs to be treated as such.

I would not stop with this symptom. I would peel back some layers to understand why all of these NCs have been aging.

1. Has the process owner left and not been replaced by someone with knowledge and resources to manage it?
2. How are NCs tracked?
3. Were these NCs reported to Management Review? There is a subclause requiring it.
4. How are NCs reported to Management Review? See #2. There is also a tendency to just say things like "3 NCs issued" but no better information for top management.
5. Were the NCs decided to be unimportant or invalid, and just never got closed out?
6. Were these NCs acted on and this is just a record keeping issue? Still, there is a requirement to ensure there are no recurrences and that is pretty hard to do if there is no record of what happened with the NC, and the response etc.
7. How engaged is management in these nonconformances?

I would be very concerned if I received pushback over something like this. It is about more than a clause in the standard. Even if the NCs were small, there's a good chance the same dysfunction would occur for a bigger issue and that cannot be tolerated.

Last edited:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
In vehement agreement with Jen. Finding a “home” to write up a nonconformity against is so superficial. As an auditor you have to ascertain the underlying reason behind these incomplete instances of nonconforming product records. Is it just a lack of paperwork work discipline or an indication of complete disregard for the identification, containment, evaluation and disposition of out of spec products.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Incomplete / For further manufacture devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
L En 62368 How to complete with incomplete parts details CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
J Incomplete Management Reviews ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
H Incomplete IVD kit under IVD Regulation EU Medical Device Regulations 1
I Audit Nonconformances - Can reported corrective actions be incomplete? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Incomplete Unannounced Audit - No Active Production at the time ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
Q Incomplete Process Sheets Closure - DHR - Doc Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
H Incomplete forms and records missing date or a name Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
D Incomplete DHF: Re-do or plug gaps? Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
C Incomplete Internal Audit at time of Re-Certification Audit Internal Auditing 5
J How to deal with incomplete forms Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
B Filling Out FDA Form 3654 when Testing is Incomplete 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Q Rectification and/or Corrections to existing 'incomplete' records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 7
D Monitoring Number of Incomplete Items & p-chart - Medical Records Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M Design Input - 820.30(c) - Addressing incomplete, ambiguous... requirements Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
M Questions concerning QMS and/or company specific nonconformance Customer Complaints 2
N Nadcap AC7101/2 Rev. E Section 3.2 - Nonconformance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M ISO 9001 Major Nonconformance Internal Audit Schedule/COVID-19 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
T Internal Nonconformance procedure thoughts (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
CNC123 NCR (Nonconformance System) Software Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
L How to deal with an ISO 13485 Supplier Audit nonconformance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
E When to generate a nonconformance report ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
K Counterfeit parts prevention - Audit Nonconformance - AS9100 8.2.2 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
qualprod When to write up a nonconformance and require a NCR - We produce labels ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
PhilM Nonconformance report, Customer complaint investigations and RMAs ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Medical Device Directive - Seeking common nonconformance write up scenarios CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
CPhelan Nonconformance opened as incorrect expiration date placed on received product. Escalate to CAPA? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
qualprod Ineffective follow up of people performance - Audit Nonconformance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Q AS9120 7.5.3.2 Control of Documented Information - Audit Nonconformance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 20
qualprod Criteria to raise a Nonconformance based on KPI values ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 39
L AS9100 D- Handling Nonconformance Documentation for an organization that outsources most of the work. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
G Timing allowed by IATF to close a Remote Site Minor Nonconformance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Visually impacting graphics for Nonconformance status metrics for Management Report Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
J ISO 13485 Audit Nonconformance written against 6.3 Infrastructure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 25
PastorBee13 IATF 16949 Audit Nonconformance Responses per 5.1.1.2 - Format IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
A What ISO 9001:2015 clause could be used to write nonconformance for not updating licensed driver list? General Auditing Discussions 8
S Nonconformance to a Note in ISO13485 clause 6.2 Human Resources Effectiveness ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
A API Spec Q1 9th Edition - 12 month Internal Audit Schedule Audit Nonconformance Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
A Where are the rules for when a repeat minor nonconformance becomes a major? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 36
R ISO 9001:2015 9.3 - Required inputs to the management review - Audit Nonconformance Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
K Which clause would best fit this Nonconformance? (Supplier Related) Internal Auditing 2
W Minor Audit Nonconformance Against Determining the scope of QMS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
J IATF 16949 registration - Major Nonconformance Finding IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
Ajit Basrur Are inputs to the nonconformance process required to be identified? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 21
N Responding to NADCAP nonconformance - Control of External Documents AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
P Examples of Nonconformance, Corrective Action Requests, and Root Cause Analysis Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
qualprod Should I initiate CAPA for a nonconformance not recorded? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 25
K Nonconformance on training - Not following own processes (IATF 16949) Internal Auditing 14
J Audit opportunity for improvement raised to nonconformance months after the audit General Auditing Discussions 7
GStough Pushback on a Nonconformance Found in a Supplier Audit General Auditing Discussions 22