Incomplete Process Sheets Closure - DHR - Doc Control

Q

QA-RA Jones

All:

I recently started a position with a manufacturing company of medical devices. They have process sheets/routers/work instructions in place for every job that runs through the shop. When I arrived in this position there were several of these routers sitting in a box that were missing signatures for applicable steps (even though they say that the step was definitely completed), dates for the work completed, changes in quantities throughout that were not explained or associated to NCMRs, etc. At this point, some of these routers are 1-4 yrs old and have never been closed out due to these documentation gaps.

How can I move to close these out? Can I create a Letter to File to close the routers without the applicable information?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated! Thank you!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Sounds like a clear case for initiating a CAPA. You have a systemic process issue and you need to both make the corrections and eliminate the root cause(s). Let the CAPA drive how you close out the routers. There should be some defensible rationale behind whatever you do and without the CAPA, you'd just be making (what might appear to be) arbitrary decisions.

Q

QA-RA Jones

I completely agree with you on the issuance of a CAPA. This portion is complete and we have already identified solutions to making sure this does not happen in the future (root cause eliminated). My only issue at this point is specifically related to how we can close out the past documents that have gaps associated with them.

Things we know about these process sheets:
We know the final quantity delivered. (inspections are complete for the final quantity)
We know that no complaints have been received on the related products produced through the incomplete routers.

Correctively for the routers with gaps:
Could we close these documents out through just identifying a statement in the CAPA resolution that we know what was delivered and when and that we also know no complaints have been received on the quality of the product, therefor the routers will be closed?

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
I think you're on the right track. I would probably suggest that the rationale for closure (corrections) include some indication that there's no impact to safety or efficacy of the product. The 'no complaints' may not be the strongest argument but can be supporting.

These are tough and companies get in tough positions trying to dig out. What you're doing sounds like it will put you in a defensible position.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Incomplete IVD kit under IVD Regulation EU Medical Device Regulations 1
I Audit Nonconformances - Can reported corrective actions be incomplete? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Incomplete Unannounced Audit - No Active Production at the time ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
H Incomplete forms and records missing date or a name Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
D Incomplete DHF: Re-do or plug gaps? Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
C Incomplete Internal Audit at time of Re-Certification Audit Internal Auditing 5
J How to deal with incomplete forms Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
B Filling Out FDA Form 3654 when Testing is Incomplete 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Q Rectification and/or Corrections to existing 'incomplete' records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 7
D Monitoring Number of Incomplete Items & p-chart - Medical Records Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M Design Input - 820.30(c) - Addressing incomplete, ambiguous... requirements Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
D Question regarding ECO process, specifically for Life Science products and defining form fit and function ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P Managing How PPAP Requirements are Communicated in the Manufacturing Process and to Suppliers APQP and PPAP 4
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
L Process changes and biocompatibility (ISO 10993-1) Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
A Validation of Forced Aeration Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Error Proofing Label process Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
B New Release of CQI-12 Coatings Process (Revision 3- Release date- 7/2020) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
D Layered Process Audits - FCA 9.2.2 - Exemption Clause? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
B ISO 11607-2 "Critical Parameter" vs. "Process Parameter" Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
Q Example Process orientation to the process leadership, management, goals (tasks of the top management) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Process Inspection -Sub assembly process inspection sheet Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
T ISO 13485 8.3 - Non-Conforming Materials - on-line rework or part of process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
T Outsourced process in ISO 45001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 2
L Manufacturing Process Audit Help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
T Formal Q Self Assessment - Problem with assigning Product and Process Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
K Problems with process equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
W Need for current design or process control FMEA and Control Plans 2
M Hiring Decisions - How much effort do you put into the hiring process these days? (7/2020) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
A What is the difference between Design Process, Process Design and Design Control? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
V Process, component or full product re-qualification: leaded to unleaded solder Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
C Refreshing an old and boring topic - Job descriptions and Roles vs Process Documentation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
R Where does IATF 16949 address Process mapping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C OEE and In-process Inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Effective nonconforming process for AS9100 8.7 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T ISO 13485 - Process validation at critical suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
K Software Validation for Measurement Tools used in Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
I Release checklist EO sterilization process Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
V Informational SMMT IATF Oversight - OEM KPI Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Description of the requirements of clause 9.2.2.3 manufacturing process audit- needs your feedback IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Stoic Are any medical device companies using the 2011 FDA process validation guidance instead of GHTF/SG3/N99-10:2004? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T Design Control Procedures later in the Development Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
K Process Mapping - Inputs/Outputs/Detail Activities/Control points/Measurement? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
D Social Media Feedback process for Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P Images of Product for Automated Process - How long to keep? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
J Where to Place Process Maps in our Documentation? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4