Increases in Labor Hours Because of ISO 9001

K

Karen

My CFO wants to know if we should expect labor hours to produce a product to go up as a result of ISO Compliance and if there is a rull of thumb on increased time that manufacturers experience? I think we will be able to measure improvements, but would like to provide him with some support data. Any suggestions as to where I may find this type of information?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Typically if your implementation is 'done well', your labour hours should not increase and could in fact decrease.

However, that said, in some cases it could increase costs overall. For example, if you never recorded and tracked nonconformances before and you implement ISO you have a new resource requirement because you now have to have someone monitor and administer the system. Another more common 'additional cost of doing business' is Internal audits. Whether you contract them out (a direct $ expense) or try to do them in-house (a $ expense for training and then you have to add the person hours for the audits themselves), you will have an expense you did not have before your implementation.

I don't know of a rule of thumb (maybe one of the others knows of one).

Most companies do report decreases in manufacturing costs in large part due to better defined and understood systems (less wasted time), better communication internally, fewer nonconforming product incidents, etc., etc. I have seen various figures up to 20% to 30% savings (I cannot cite specific resource for these figures off-hand) within a year or two.

For data I can only recommend the ASQC's web site. Maybe the other folks here can help with specific citations.

QS9000 is a different story all together.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I should point out that typically during the implementation process there is an increase in labour hours as folks map processes and in general 'do their part' in the implementation process. There are a lot of variables in this. But not as a result of ISO compliance except as I stated above.

A

Andy Bassett

Karen

I would echo Marks thoughts and go as far as to emphasise them. Its probably as well to prepare your CFO on a number of grounds.
1 Labour hours will initially increase as in simple terms things will have to be done that were not done before. (Calibrating Test Equipment, Recording defects etc)
2 In the short term, when procedures are new it appears as though it is more complex and longer to get everthing done.
For example - If engineers were quite happily bypassing Purchase before, in future they should (heavens forbid) try to work with Purhcase by stating clearly their requirements (ie on a Parts Requisition).
3 In the short term expect an internal company pissing competition, with lots of noise directed at you or whatever programme you are implementing.

Implementing clear processes is a little bit like draining a lake. The water represents all the vague unclear systems you had before (otherwise defined as flexibility by organisation s**t surfers). The rocks that you start to see when the water drains is your real problems, and unfortunately it is now crystal clear where these problems lie. Probably at the start it was not clear in your company that Project Management is lousy, but when you go looking for Project plans and design reviews you will start to see that the dept is not up to the job. And how these boys will squeal.

Hope im not putting you of.

------------------
Andy B

K

KAREN

AS USUAL YOUR RESPONSES ARE GREAT... I LOVE TO BE ABLE TO SEE THE HUMOR IN AN OTHERWISE DRY TOPIC. THANKS GUYS!

L

Laura M

Funny thing about CFO's...internally they want to know how much its costing them...but wait 'til they find an example to show where it saved them $$ - preventing a quality issue, or streamlinig as a result of implementing defined processes. You'd think implementing it was their idea!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Richard Regalado Banning Social Media INCREASES Risks to Information Security IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
P Why sample size for c=0 sampling plan reduces across the increases of AQL AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 2
J Medical Device QC Testing - Number of Samples as Batch Size Increases ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
Marc Chevy outsells Ford in 2005 but Foreign Competitution Increases World News 0
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion How major corporations in the West keep failing to uphold their pledges of abolishing child labor in their cocoa supply chains Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 3
S Defining Skilled vs. Semi-Skilled vs. Unskilled Labor Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
W Job Quoting and Inspection Labor Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
L Manufacturing Production/Labor Scheduling Tool Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Marc Apple Enforces "Supplier Code of Conduct" After Child Labor Discovery After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 13
R How to Measure Labor Efficiency Management Review Meetings and related Processes 8
W Labor Woes at Toyota Outlined World News 27
J Allocation of Resources - Spreadsheet to look at current labor hours vs. planned ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Marc LOP (Labor Operation) Matrix - Daimlerchrysler Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
Randy Department of Labor Job Description - Seeking Help Career and Occupation Discussions 22
cscalise Determination of CPD (Continuing Professional Development) hours for a training course Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
M Perform a coating weight test within 3 hours of processing the parts Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
H CQA Exam - Do I really have to go five hours without a drink? Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
P Is it possible to receive EASA STC within 48 hours after modification? EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
Marc Modified Google Glass can teach you Morse Code in four hours World News 0
D AS9100 Audit Preparation Costs and Hours AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
T I want to calculate reliability at 750 hours Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 8
L How many working hours to required to implement ISO 14001 ? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
C Example of Man Hours Plan required by EASA EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 2
T Promotion with Less Pay and more hours Career and Occupation Discussions 37
A Repairable System Reliability Analysis: Uptime/Downtime Hours, Failure Modes Data Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
AnaMariaVR2 Soyuz TMA-08M docks with ISS just six hours after launch World News 2
P Sample Size to Test Products used for 100 hours in a Test Environment Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
T Control Chart - Salt Spray Test Hours - Powder Coated Parts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
D AS9100 Audit Hours for Audit Day for Certification AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
J AS9100 Audit on Extended Hours (More that 8 Audit Hours per day) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
B How to calculate Machine Breakdown Hours Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
A Help Calculating Standard Work Hours Management Review Meetings and related Processes 1
P Help Needed to complete audit hours under a Certified Lead Auditor - ISO 9001 General Auditing Discussions 5
T How many hours a week do you devote to maintaining your QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
Stijloor Message from AIAG - New Summer Hours for AIAG offices ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 3
A Table used by Certification Bodies to define the man-day hours General Auditing Discussions 14
BradM What to do for 2 hours.... Coveless Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 10
A Heat Treatment Validation - Titanium (6Al 4V) for 2 hours @ 700 Deg C Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
J System to capture history on Inspection Hours comparision to part family Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
S Does your company allow the use of Personal cell phones during working hours? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 51
R MTBF to DPPM Calculation Based on the Unit's Typical Working Hours Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 9
P Cost Estimate for how many hours to measure a part (Full first artcle) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
D CQE (Certified Quality Engineer) Test - 5 hours, any breaks? Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
B The ASQ CQE Test - 24 hours till total brain meltdown Professional Certifications and Degrees 33
W Are 8 hours of HazCom training required per year for Small Quantity Generators (SQG)? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 13
R Making sense of Standard Hours - Work an employee can be expected to do in an hour Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
E Poll : Inspection for Conformity - Proportion of man hours spent? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
G How many hours does it take the big 4 to build an auto? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
R Frequency of self control and costs - Justification for 4 Hours vs. Every Hour IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J Internal Auditing Hours Internal Auditing 3