Increasing efficiency - Capt. Proj. Document Review Matrix

Currently working for a startup. They lack a proper EDMS so I am making do with spreadsheets and SmartSheet.

My manager has ask that I improve the efficiency of the Review Matrix which Currently lists approvers, reviewers, and informed. Quite often, the approvers will change the reviewers/informed, depending on the document. So I told him the most efficient answer would be to reduce the matrix to list approvers only.

He didn't see this as an improvement.

So, my question is, without having a complete list of every potential document type listed and asking my Engineers to fill-in who they want looking those documents over (this is a $10mil project) , how the heck do I make this system more efficient?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
What makes your manager think the review matrix (I guess we should say review / approval cycle?) is currently inefficient?

Most often I see companies with WAY too many approvers on documents. Paring that down often increases efficiency.

Another area where I see loss of efficiency is in the review process. One of the reviewers goes on vacation for a week and you can't get the doc through. Or a doc just sits on a reviewer's desk for days on end. Building in coping mechanisms and oversight helps there.

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
So, my question is, without having a complete list of every potential document type listed(*1) and asking my Engineers to fill-in who they want looking those documents over(*2) (this is a $10mil project) , how the heck do I make this system more efficient?
I recommend doing (*1) but restricting the flexibility of (*2). It was the sage who said "indecision is the key to flexibility", so I would try to remove as much flexibility from the potential reviewers, as a project manager you can only establish and maintain the schedule if you know which specific resources are assigned to which tasks. The people assigned to tasks should be appropriate and have well-defined activities as part of the task. "Stare at the work product until you feel it is ok" is not a good use of project time.

If managers feel that they need to be involved in reviews; the most practical thing is to schedule management reviews are pre-identified phase-transitions for the project. You can of course schedule periodic meetings with managers to update them on project executions.

Personally: If there are specific managers who want to have more visibility but are otherwise just slowing down execution, I absolutely would try to sequester them in something like an every-other-day status update meeting. My rationale:
  • The managers will have some specific insight (typically review criteria) that will generally apply... you can give this feedback to engineers
  • The managers might be tempted to micro-manage work,. This will generally interfere with adhering to the schedule, so isolating them can help both them and the engineers to focus
  • It is important IMO to isolate the work effort from the management effort. If there must be ad hocery, keep it as far away from the people doing the work. Changing management strategies can waste time of course, but allowing managers to "brainstorm" among themselves out-of-sight of workers will allow more work to get done.

What makes your manager think the review matrix (I guess we should say review / approval cycle?) is currently inefficient?

Most often I see companies with WAY too many approvers on documents. Paring that down often increases efficiency.

Another area where I see loss of efficiency is in the review process. One of the reviewers goes on vacation for a week and you can't get the doc through. Or a doc just sits on a reviewer's desk for days on end. Building in coping mechanisms and oversight helps there.
The inefficiency is in the time it takes to complete the reviews. And yes, the core of the issue (beyond what I mentioned about reviews/informed) is that people leave on vacation and there are no backups in place. I could not convince him that alternate approvers were a good idea because we're using the Sprint model. There is nothing I can do to change that...

The problem I hope to remedy here is the reviewer/informed lists. These people are not necessary for signatures but the approvers still want them notified. However, my approvers keep changing who they want notified depending on the document, regardless of Discipline/Sprint, rendering the matrix useless.

I recommend doing (*1) but restricting the flexibility of (*2). It was the sage who said "indecision is the key to flexibility", so I would try to remove as much flexibility from the potential reviewers, as a project manager you can only establish and maintain the schedule if you know which specific resources are assigned to which tasks. The people assigned to tasks should be appropriate and have well-defined activities as part of the task. "Stare at the work product until you feel it is ok" is not a good use of project time.

If managers feel that they need to be involved in reviews; the most practical thing is to schedule management reviews are pre-identified phase-transitions for the project. You can of course schedule periodic meetings with managers to update them on project executions.

Personally: If there are specific managers who want to have more visibility but are otherwise just slowing down execution, I absolutely would try to sequester them in something like an every-other-day status update meeting. My rationale:
  • The managers will have some specific insight (typically review criteria) that will generally apply... you can give this feedback to engineers
  • The managers might be tempted to micro-manage work,. This will generally interfere with adhering to the schedule, so isolating them can help both them and the engineers to focus
  • It is important IMO to isolate the work effort from the management effort. If there must be ad hocery, keep it as far away from the people doing the work. Changing management strategies can waste time of course, but allowing managers to "brainstorm" among themselves out-of-sight of workers will allow more work to get done.
Thank you, this is very helpful.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
blile Increasing PFMEA occurrence ranking after non-conformance FMEA and Control Plans 4
Edward Reesor Role of increased regulatory costs in increasing risk ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
B Increasing Customer Satisfaction While Decreasing Employee Workload Customer Complaints 4
P Increasing Numbers of Harmonised Standards Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M AQL and the impact of increasing Batch Size, or changing Inspection Level AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 2
smryan Increasing PC Glitches Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
C ASQ Examination Fees Increasing for Select Certifications Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
S TPM increasing employee overtime costs - How to reduce costs? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
T Increasing Quality: Cost vs. Value Added Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
F [Line Balancing] Line Efficiency in Fan Manufacturing Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
H Effectiveness and efficiency indicators ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
C Quality, efficiency and effectiveness of daily work routines Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
M QMS Efficiency KPI as a Manager. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
M Medical Device News FDA News - 12-09-18 - MD Submissions to Electronic Format to Improve Efficiency Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
U SI 13 - Not Every Process Requires an Efficiency Measure IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Effectiveness Measuring and Efficiency Measuring In ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D IATF 16949 Process Measurement and Efficiency Measures Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A IATF 16949 - Non-conformity on 5.1.1.2 Process effectiveness and efficiency IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B IATF 16949 Cl. 7.3.2 - Documented Process (Effectiveness & Efficiency) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
J Process Effectiveness and Efficiency (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 29
S Can Goals be both Efficiency and Effectiveness? TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
G Reviewing Process Effectiveness and Efficiency IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M How to measure effectiveness and efficiency of the established QMS as Auditors ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
0 Calculation of Contamination Reduction Efficiency Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
J Methods to control Efficiency of Corrective and Preventive Actions Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
8 OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness/Efficiency) Help Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 17
R A GRP model that also considers the Preventive Maintenance Efficiency Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
P Risk Management Verification Activities for Implementation and Efficiency ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
V What is best practice to track Quality Teams Effectiveness & Efficiency. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
V How do you monitor the Responsiveness, Agility, Efficiency of Quality Systems? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
S Training Efficiency Assessment - Evaluate the Effectiveness (Clause 6.2.2 c) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
Q Availability Calculation for monitoring Overall Equipment Efficiency Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
D Route Delivery Efficiency Formula - Miles driven, number of deliveries, and time(hrs) Benchmarking 3
AnaMariaVR2 OEE (Overall Equipment Efficiency) on Pharma Packaging Lines Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
Marc New Gasoline Engine Prototype Claims 3X Current Engine Efficiency World News 5
Y OEE (Overall Equipment Efficiency) help Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
R TS 16949 Clause 5.1.1 Process Efficiency IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
I Process Efficiency with Four Different Processes Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
somashekar Making permanent savings through Active Energy Efficiency Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 7
Q Definition Efficiency and Effectiveness - Differences Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 19
D Calculating Machine Efficiency and Quality Efficiency Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
P Difference between Efficiency, Productivity, Performance ? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
J Job Efficiency Assessment Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
S OEE (Overall Equipment Efficiency) - One question Manufacturing and Related Processes 17
R Defining Department wise Quality Objectives in terms of Effectiveness and Efficiency ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Overall Equipment Effectiveness of Efficiency Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
S Outlook efficiency to safely send a document, and keep traceability Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
J Definition Net Machine Efficiency (NME) - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 10
L Layered Process Audits: Efficiency, quality, safety or all the above? Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 11
B Does anyone have an Operator Efficiency Incentive Program Manufacturing and Related Processes 4