SBS - The best value in QMS software

Industrial Communication Display - People in the lines to know their performance

Q

quick_silver

hi to all,
I was assigned in a department responsible in gathering data from the production. Now we wanted the people in the lines to know their performance so that appropriate actions can be done and the problems be solved. My boss was asking me to make a proposal on this matter. i was thinking of making using white board whose contents will be updated regularly. Do you have any idea or how did you display your numbers in the shop floor?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Staff member
Super Moderator
I worked through that one not too long ago (~2 years). It is a great idea if done well...and a poor one that can frustrate the line workers if done poorly. MAKE SURE you get feedback before final implementation from the folks on the line!

We wanted this system not only for performance feedback for the line, but also for production planning (do we have rawmats soon enough but not too soon?), customer interaction (when will it ship?), etc.

I looked into a database system, and it worked very well, but it was overkill and we didn't need so detailed a system for the cost.

We ended up pretty low tech with a white board with the additional ability to hook up a webcam so sales could see it from wherever.

Since, we've actually moved to the Dbase approach since we outgrew the whiteboard.

Key points:
- Make sure the line workers understand how this system benefits the performance of the company (faster communication), else it may be perceived as one more burden mgmt places on them.
- Everyone owns the whiteboard and is responsible for updating. The updating of it is one of the performance metrics folks will be measured on. Communication of inaccurate information can be worse than no communication.
- It's easier to recognize the value if you are involved in the development of the system...as above, involve the people who will be affected/measured by this in the design of the system, not just in final implementation.

:2cents:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
What is the purpose of the performance data?

What a silly question, yes? But the people providing the data would more willingly and truthfully do so IF they are certain the data is used to improve, not punish for things not in their control.

If data, which could be displayed in a simple green-yellow-red manner (go, caution, stop) alerted responsible people to rush to that area and remove some constraint to good performance, the system can be seen as positive. Operators can be convinced it is intended to improve their lives.

If, however the data is used to make people feel they are in competition with each other and one group has a systemic advantage, the effects on productivity and morale can be worse than the intended benefits.

And so it is not enough to just describe that data are to be collected and understood. A really effective organization will make sure the people are made partners in the data. It both represents and serves them.

I hope this helps!

Q

quick_silver

Thanks for these ideas. I will see to it that the people will be involved not just in the final implementation and help them see that the system will be placed to help them in running the lines.

the idea of making green-yellow-red to inform the people about their performance is also good.

the idea of using whiteboard with a webcam seemed to be interesting to me..If I will make use of a whiteboard, I wanted to convey the information through graphs but I need to do it in such a way that it can be easily updated. Do you have any more ideas or have you seen how other companies deploy displays of performance in the shop floor?

thanks a lot :agree:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Limited Range Calibration - 5000 lb Industrial floor scale General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Industrial RX inspection of welds (Oil&Gas industry) Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
C Industrial scales and MSA (IATF 16949 requirement 7.1.5.1.1) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 30
P Design FMEA for Industrial Machinery FMEA and Control Plans 3
P Average access height into an industrial machine (average base plate height) Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
M Informational Feira Hospitalar – Programação da X Jornada de Ação em Política Industrial e Regulação para Produtos da Saúde (Portuguese only) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R Industrial accidents - Cleanup & disposal of blood spill Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 1
M Informational EU – Questions And Answers Related To The United Kingdom’s Withdrawal From The European Union With Regard To Industrial Products Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C What is an Airbus Industrial Process Control Assessment (IPCA) Audit Passing Score General Auditing Discussions 1
S Industrial Aseptic Bag Heat Sealing Sampling and Qualification Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
A Industrial OBL Practices EU Medical Device Regulations 5
P Industrial Painting Inspector training and certification in India Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
N Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD) Determination in Industrial Waste Water General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
N Industrial MRI Diagnostic System - Which IEC standard should I use when testing? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
G Breast Implant Scandal in France - Industrial Silicone Used in Implants ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 46
E Production Planning in an Industrial Machine JOB SHOP Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
F Career Problem - Industrial design, QA, what next? Career and Occupation Discussions 5
J IFS (Industrial & Financial Systems) software and the FMEA module Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
Q Career Change from Industrial Engineer to Quality Engineer Career and Occupation Discussions 30
O Industrial Marking Inks (Heat Resistant) Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
T Rotary Wing Industrial Base Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
S What is Good International Industrial Practices (GIIP)? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
M Latest standard for thermocouples & iprt (industrial platinum resistance thermometer) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
D Industrial Safety - Storage of Flammable Materials & Sprinkler/Electrical fires Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
T Utilization of new ERP system - (IFS- Industrial and Financial Systems) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 8
K EN746-2 Industrial thermoprocessing equipment - Safety requirements.... Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
H Effectiveness of ISO 9001:2000 Implementation in small industrial organizations? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
ScottK Are there any IIE (Institute of Industrial Engineers) members on board? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
S ISO 9001 Certifications Analysis by Industrial Sectors ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Z Industrial Standard on Accelerated Ageing test for plastic carrier tape Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 8
G Uncertainty budget for industrial temperature controllers Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
O Industrial Engineering department hierarchy Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
R Could Factory Process Auditor and Industrial Engineer Coexist? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
A Functional test for industrial plastic closures Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
J Incoming Inspection Skip Lot - Industrial staples Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
I Top Manufacturing Systems Faculties among Industrial Engineering Departments in US Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
T CE Marking for cast iron, cast steel, and bronze Industrial Valves CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
T Industrial Robotics Programming Training Question Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
M Dock to Stock Template for Distributor/Warehouse of Industrial Metals Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
K Can we Exclude Design and Development clause in ?Industrial Design? Company? Design and Development of Products and Processes 12
S Student requests help on Lean Manufacturing - Masters in industrial engineering Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 14
Q Point me in the Direction of an Industrial Engineering (IE) society in IL or SE WI Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
C Standard/Specification suitable for an industrial cafeteria? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
A Audit Checklist built around the UL 508A Industrial Control Panel Standards? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
T Duties of a Supplier Quality Engineer? Graduate Industrial Engineer Needs Help Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
C Statistics, Ratios, and the Dow Jones Industrial Average World News 0
T Industrial Belt Sander Systems - Dealing with chatter marks Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
F DOE (Design of Experiments) Help: Montgomery's Industrial Engineering book Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
L Portable SPC Data Collectors and Industrial 'Hardened' Computers Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
A Industrial Deaths & ISO9000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14