Information of safety can reduce risk now?

adir88

Starting to get Involved
My question is simple: can information for safety now be used to reduce risk? It seems apparent from the relevant sections of MDR and ISO 14971 below, but would like to get a confirmation from this community as this is a significant change from MDD deviation.

ANNEX I
GENERAL SAFETY AND PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS
CHAPTER I
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
4. Risk control measures adopted by manufacturers for the design and manufacture of the devices shall conform to safety principles, taking account of the generally acknowledged state of the art. To reduce risks, Manufacturers shall manage risks so that the residual risk associated with each hazard as well as the overall residual risk is judged acceptable. In selecting the most appropriate solutions, manufacturers shall, in the following order of priority:
(a) eliminate or reduce risks as far as possible through safe design and manufacture;
(b) where appropriate, take adequate protection measures, including alarms if necessary, in relation to risks that cannot be eliminated; and
(c) provide information for safety (warnings/precautions/contraindications) and, where appropriate, training to users.
ISO 14971:2019
Section 7.1 Risk control option analysis
NOTE 2 Risk control measures can reduce the severity of the harm or reduce the probability of occurrence of the harm, or both.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
My question is simple: can information for safety now be used to reduce risk? It seems apparent from the relevant sections of MDR and ISO 14971 below, but would like to get a confirmation from this community as this is a significant change from MDD deviation.
My understanding is similar to yours, but the ones who set the tone (in the current lack of official MDR guidance, harmonization list and annexes Z) are MDR-designated NBs.

What you call "MDD deviation" has always been in some dispute and subject to debate. Never a widely accepted and applauded gift to humanity.

Tidge

Quite Involved in Discussions
My advice is to not rely on IFS as a mechanism (i.e. a risk control measure) to claim a risk reduction prior to performing a risk control options analysis and/or a risk benefit analysis. Most examples of what folks consider to be IFS are not shown to have any measure of effectiveness (i.e. lack objective evidence). I do believe that identification of specific IFS could improve risk acceptability in the context of an RCOA/RBA.

I can offer a few examples of "IFS-adjacent" implemented risk controls where I am comfortable claiming a risk reduction. My experience is primarily with Medical Electrical devices; YMMV on how much risk reduction you can claim (based on effectiveness of the risk control).
  1. Alarm Systems are PMD, even if they present "information" about an alarm status. User manuals are obligated to explain the alarm system, but an alarm system is intended to reduce risk. I use a "linear" approach to risk analysis: The Alarm System elements get identified as PMD (because they get tested and shown to reduce certain risks) and then the manual pages explaining the alarm system gets listed as IFS.
  2. Every user of the ME device gets specific training (provided by the manufacturer) that includes training elements targeted to specific risks. Training curricula can be implemented and the effectiveness of the training can be evaluated. Obviously this would be more effective if the device has been designed to only be used by trained users.

adir88

Starting to get Involved
My understanding is similar to yours, but the ones who set the tone (in the current lack of official MDR guidance, harmonization list and annexes Z) are MDR-designated NBs.

What you call "MDD deviation" has always been in some dispute and subject to debate. Never a widely accepted and applauded gift to humanity.
Completely agree with you. Despite its controversial nature, our NB have always asked us to update to our risk management documentation because the likelihood post-RCM was reduced for certain items where only information for safety was used as a risk control measure. It will be good to move away from this.

Unrelated question: do you know if there will be any deviations in the harmonized ISO 14971:2019? The FDIS had the ZA annex which did not note any deviations to any clauses, but I understand this is likely to change given that the reason the harmonized version wasn't published in 2019 as there were comments that needed more time.

My understanding is that you can and should user labeling to try to reduce risk, but to actually claim that occurrence level of a risk is reduced, you would have to prove it with say a Usability study. You would likely have to also have on-going training (not just a label on the package).

Chrisx

Involved In Discussions
Frankly, this whole concept that information for safety never made any sense. Why do regulations require IFUs, if they don't do anything to reduce risk? Furthermore, this requirement in EN ISO 14971:2012 was in regards to any "Information for Safety", not just IFUs. That means, surgical technique guides, equipment manuals, on-site training, cadaver labs, etc. It's all information for safety. I think the authors of the MDR realized this made no sense, consequently the new regulation allows risk reduction thru information for safety.

Tidge

Quite Involved in Discussions
Frankly, this whole concept that information for safety never made any sense. Why do regulations require IFUs, if they don't do anything to reduce risk? Furthermore, this requirement in EN ISO 14971:2012 was in regards to any "Information for Safety", not just IFUs. That means, surgical technique guides, equipment manuals, on-site training, cadaver labs, etc. It's all information for safety. I think the authors of the MDR realized this made no sense, consequently the new regulation allows risk reduction thru information for safety.
The reasoning behind forbidding IFS as a risk control that could reduce risk was explained to me as: "Disclosing (in a manual) that your device causes a certain type of harm doesn't make the device safer than if you don't disclose the information."

I agree that there hasn't been a particularly coherent approach to IFS. I think 60601-1-8 still refers to the presentation of "values of monitored variables" as 'information for safety', even though such presentation is almost certainly going be adjacent to, if not part of, the intended use/essential performance of the device. I feel like there are other examples (62304?) where the functional presentation of information is presented as "IFS" when it ought to be treated as PMD (subject to usability considerations of course). I'm not sure if this is still the case, but I seem to recall that there was at least one standard (either in the text or the informative material) that referred to "alarms" (not clarifying "alarm signals", nor "alarm systems") as "IFS".

adir88

Starting to get Involved
I guess it comes down to whether or not it can be verified that the information for safety in an IFU etc. is actually effective in reducing risk. In most cases, I think the answer is NO unless the specific information was assessed in usability evaluation and there was objective evidence that demonstrates that information led to risk reduction.

adir88

Starting to get Involved
The reasoning behind forbidding IFS as a risk control that could reduce risk was explained to me as: "Disclosing (in a manual) that your device causes a certain type of harm doesn't make the device safer than if you don't disclose the information."

I agree that there hasn't been a particularly coherent approach to IFS. I think 60601-1-8 still refers to the presentation of "values of monitored variables" as 'information for safety', even though such presentation is almost certainly going be adjacent to, if not part of, the intended use/essential performance of the device. I feel like there are other examples (62304?) where the functional presentation of information is presented as "IFS" when it ought to be treated as PMD (subject to usability considerations of course). I'm not sure if this is still the case, but I seem to recall that there was at least one standard (either in the text or the informative material) that referred to "alarms" (not clarifying "alarm signals", nor "alarm systems") as "IFS".
Is there a definition of "information for safety" in any standards or guides? IFS is commonly considered to be the same as "accompanying documentation", but TR/ISO 4971 includes examples that not only include contraindications and instructions for use in accompanying documentation, but also warning labels on the device itself and training.

I completely agree with you in that there hasn't been a consistent approach from various standards committees to what is IFS which has definitely contributed to the confusion.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MrTetris Unacceptable risk and information for safety ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 16
Q Information for safety EN ISO 14971:2012 - Customer Risk Reduction ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
Marc Food Safety Information Resource Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
K Risk Analysis and "Information for Safety" / Labeling ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
P Food Safety - Presentations and Information pertaining to Food Safety & HACCP Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
somashekar Information sharing: Week 19, 2010 (ELECTRICITY, SAFETY & GROUNDING) The Reading Room 0
D Safety Information Incorporated In Production Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q Information About 5S+ (or 6S) - How Safety is incorporated into 5S Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 28
Marc ISO 22000 Food Safety Management Systems - General Information Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 43
D Preservation of Electronic Data / Information Technology ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S API Spec.Q1 Standards Version in Purchasing Information Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
eule del ayre Documented Information - Periodic Review of Documents? IATF 16949:2016 / ISO 9001:2015 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 34
R Information on obtaining a market authorization for China China Medical Device Regulations 2
B SN95 Respirator Approval Information Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
R Risk assessment on IT containers and the information they contain IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
O EN 301 489-1 and EN 301 489-17 - Where do we get the information of the Published versions? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
K Article 18: Implant Card and information to be communicated. EU Medical Device Regulations 5
K EU MDR Annex 1 Chapter III: Information in the Instructions for Use-23.4 (e) the performance characteristics of the device; EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A GMDN Registration Basic preliminary Information EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J Controlled information versus defined documents / records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Medical device Reporting : Good Faith Effort for Additional information Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
P Cenelec updated standard information CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Richard Regalado Automotive News TISAX - VDA ISA (information security assessment) VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 5
JoCam False information provided for Medical Device Registration - What are the implications? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
Richard Regalado What could go wrong with information: Ransomware statistics and facts (2018 to present) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
Q LOT or Serial Number Symbol not used when the information is contained in the UDI? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
A Information about Medical Device Test Laboratories Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
C Missing routers/documented information Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
M Is Harmonised EN 1041 (Information Supplied By Manufacturer) Worth Looking At? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
P Predicate Device Information for 510(k) Submission Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
V IS/ISO/IEC 17025:2017 Clause 7, sub clause 7.11 Control of data and information management ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturing Requirements and Information - Help wanted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
H Analog Pressure Gauge with no EN837 accuracy class information General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
M Informational EU – MDCG 2019-12 Designating authority’s final assessment form: Key Information Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
G What information to put on measurement Dimensional Results APQP and PPAP 7
L MDR - Information in the instructions for use - clausole 23.4.(z) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K AS9100D Clause 7.5.2.a) - What is considered to be "documented information"? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A Information on good laboratory practices (GLP) for the non-medical or food industry wanted Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
I What kind of information needs to be in a calibration record? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 25
M Informational TGA – Medical device patient information leaflets and implant cards Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Q AS9120 7.5.3.2 Control of Documented Information - Audit Nonconformance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 20
G Posting Measuring Equipment Accuracy for User Information General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
J EC REP information and CE Mark - Component of a system that is not a medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Informational EU – Medical devices: Implementation of Regulation (EU) 2017/745 on medical devices (MDR) – Information from the Irish and German delegations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D ISO 9001:2015 Clause 8.4.3 "Information for External Providers" buying from online retailers. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
B Practical ideas for information labelling in healthcare environment IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
M Informational US FDA – Historical Information about Device Emergency Use Authorizations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA – Patient Preference Information (PPI) in Medical Device Decision-Making Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDA final guidance – Recommended Content and Format of Non-Clinical Bench Performance Testing Information in Premarket Submissions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R Where to get information - M6 per WA900 Manufacturing and Related Processes 1