Information Technology Department (IT) Checklist for ISO 9001:2008

S

shami4u

Dear Gents,

During the Preparation of Checklist for Information technology Department (IT) what area / clauses we have to consider??

Could you please provide me some samples.

Regards,
:thanx:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Re: ISO 9001:2088 Checklist Help!!!

Good day shami4u,

When auditing IT I consider 6.3, which is about infrastructure. But I do a process audit, which means

1) Inputs from system users, such as what documents and records they need to keep and for how long. How important is data security?

2) What equipment, tools and materials IT uses to keep things running - make sure data is available at all planned times. This could include battery backup power systems and a program for controlled shutdown for extended power loss contingencies. It might involve "mirrored" servers and equipment and materials (tapes etc.) to do data backups.

3) What plans or instructions IT personnel operate with in order to make sure planned activities get done. Since no controlled procedure is needed for this, I have asked for backup schedules and what is used in case they need to teach a new guy what to do.

4) If backups are being done (and I hope they are) how are the media stored to keep safe from degradation loss or being "misplaced"? If data security is important, disposal controls matter. How are old hard drives handled? Does the group manage the data that can be stored in the RAM of photocopiers and fax machines? How?

5) How they can tell if the operations are successful.

6) What's new? Have improvements been made to their backup systems or software?

I hope this helps!

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
Dear Gents,

During the Preparation of Checklist for Information technology Department (IT) what area / clauses we have to consider??

Could you please provide me some samples.

Regards,
:thanx:

Jennifer has it well-covered; there is also the matter of the documentation requirements (for the time being!).

The Control of Records procedure needs to define the controls needed for the identification, storage, protection, retrieval, retention and disposition of records. I would fully expect to see IT activities described in this procedure as well as activities for controlling paper-based records, as records are typically not just printed pieces of paper put into a filing cabinet or box; records are predominately electronic these days.

A little test I like to do during the audit is to ask them for their backup schedule and method, then request a pull from the last one that was said to be performed. This is reasonable for internal audits; not so much for second or third party audits.

Top Bottom