Infrastructure - Does this includes floor plan of the building, its size and location

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi everyone,

Does this includes floor plan of the building, its size and location? Do we have to document the workspace, plant layout? When we speak of facilities, does it also includes water, lighting, elecctricity, etc?

If I'll be suggesting to the facilities manager regarding documentation of thsi sub-clause, where do I start? Am I going to start from scratch, since we were not EMS certified? pLease comment.

Thanks in advance,

Raffy

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Well, yeah - it's sorta everything. Some companies have complex maps in CADD systems. Others have nothing.

There are three lines:

a) Buildings, workspace and associated utilities,

Who does this in your company?

b) Process equipment (both hardware and software),

Lets see. maintenance and the IS folks, right?

and
c) Supporting services (such as transport or communication)

Again, who does these things (is responsible for) in your company?

It doesn't say you have to have building layout maps (though they're a good idea) or such.

A

Al Dyer

Raffy,

Second Marc's opinion. What I've seen work is a detailed (autocad) plant layout, including work cells, machines, emergency routes, etc...

This was used in conjunction with a contingency plan that included such things as, water, gas, coolants, electricity, compressors, hilos, key equipment, phones, network systems, etc...

An expensive autocad system is not needed. I've seen smaller companies layout the facility into posted grids (work cells?) and use a matrix to list what is in the grid.

Hope this helps.

ASD...

Raffy

Hi Marc,
a) For the buildings, the responsible person is our facilities guy.
b) For the process equipment, its the Equipment Engineering does this.
c) Its our customer service who do the communication.
Therefore, in identifying the responsible person, are they the ones who would work for the definition of the infrastructure?
Would the plant layout needs to be in Autocad format? What we used usually is diagrams that was been drawn using the excel software.
Raffy

Marc

Leader
Well, it says you have to "...determine, provide and maintain..."

-> Therefore, in identifying the responsible person, are
-> they the ones who would work for the definition of the
-> infrastructure?

They address their part. Stop using the word 'infrastructure' and refer to the components.

But - let's look at communication. Also think telephone structure, IS (IT or whatever you call it in your company) for e-mail and computer networks, etc. Not just customer service. We're talking buildings and such here.

-> Would the plant layout needs to be in Autocad format?

You can draw it with a pencil on paper if you want. There is no AutoCAD requirement. Some companies use AutoCad because they have the program anyway. You know, you can go to extremes. If you're sitting on a 10 acre building you may want to be able to have 'objects' such as certain pieces of equipment and such that you can drop in and move about. In a big facility, something is typically being moved, remodeled or otherwise changed all the time. There are also specialized programs for facilities planning for really big plants.

If Excel suits your needs, it's just fine and dandy. Unless, of course, your have a customer which specifies how you do this - which I doubt is the case.

Marc

Leader
BTW - All these people should be involved in contract review. Do you have enough space? Enough machines? Enough computers? Enough....?

Get the idea? And remember Al's comments:

-> This was used in conjunction with a contingency plan that
-> included such things as, water, gas, coolants,
-> electricity, compressors, hilos, key equipment, phones,
-> network systems, etc...

Raffy

Hi Marc,
a) It does with our facilities department.
b) This is for the equipment engineering
c) Its our customer service who does this communication.
With the information you've given I had a clear view from where I start now. But I had some more concerns.
Building maps were drawn through the use of an excel worksheet. The diagrams, maps, plant layout. Are we going to document this drawing with our DCC? Will this be considered as quality records for the infrastructure? Would there be a procedure that will be generated on the infrastructure or just a simple plant lay-out register and published... with the help of DCC? Does the individual department must consolidate their drawing into one specific document?
Thanks a lot,
Raffy
[email protected]

Top Bottom