Initial Audit Report - Management Representative needs to be more versed

A

ashujanu

In the intial audit report, teh Auditor had written:
The Management Representative needs to be more versed with the requirements of the standard as well as the organization's own system documentation. Adherence to the specified product monitoring requirements & controls over the outsourced activities need to be ensured.
I am the MR and I was under the impression that the Auditor is saying that MR should have more knowledge of the standards as well as the company's system documentation. WHICH I AM AWARE OF NOW.

But now my Unit head is telling me that I should know the standards as well as I should know how teh company is functioning i.e. right from inquiry received for a particular product till the payment is received from the customer. that means i should know the business of the company. WHICH I KNOW.. but now the unit head has made me confused..

should i answer about the company's system documentation i.e. all the procedures such as corrective action / preventive action / Non conformity / control of documents / control of records/ internal audit. OR should i tell the auditor about how we are generating the business. SEE I DONT WANT THE AUDITOR TO GIVE ME A MAJOR NC IF HE FINDS THAT I HAVE NOT UNDERSTOOD WHT THE PREVIOUS AUDITOR HAD WRITTEN.

SO can you help me out.

bye

ashwini

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Re: initial audit report - mr

Was this a nonconformance from a registration audit?

If so, what standard and element was this written against?

B

brahmaiah

:agree:From;V.J.Brahmaiah
Bangalore-India

Thr MR should know: a)Requirement of the applicable system standards
b)All manuals and procedures of his company
c)Expert in documenting and controlling documents
d)Internal a
Besides other managerial capabilities and communication skill.
He need not necessarily be aware of all bussiness aspects of the company.
udit

A senior level Person trained as a lead assessor is ideal for the position of MR.
But the irony of the system is that the standard doesnot stop you from nominating a senior gen.manager who does not know much about requirements of ISO 9001 STANDARD as name sake MR.
Besides other managerial capabilities and communication skill.
He need not necessarily be aware of all bussiness aspects of the company.
-V.J.Brahmaiah:agree:

S

Sam4Quality

Originally posted by brahmaiah
<snip>
But the irony of the system is that the standard doesnot stop you from nominating a senior gen.manager who does not know much about requirements of ISO 9001 STANDARD as name sake MR. <snip>
The standard does not stop you from nominating any employee on the position of MR. However, he is also responsible for ensuring the establishment, implementation, maintenance and reporting of the QMS.

And if he/she is doing all of this without knowledge of the standards or his QMS documentation, the ship already has a hole, sooner or later it will sink! Unless, he has hired a QA person (ghost MR) to take care of the system! :lol:. He will still sink the ship when faced with the audit.

Ciao. :cool:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
While I agree it is important for the management rep to understand the requirements of the system, I am questioning the audit finding until I learn if this was an internal or external audit, what standard the organization was being audited against, and which element the finding was written against.

Or, was this just a comment? It reads like one, because this write up is inferring the MR is responsible for "Adherence to the specified product monitoring requirements & controls over the outsourced activities."

If the specified product monitoring requirements and controls over the outsourced activities are not being adhered to, the writeup should be addressing that/those process owner(s). If there is no process in place that establishes this control or the process is not being followed, the writeup should address that. If there is no audit of the process or the auditing was ineffective, the writeup should have addressed these factors. Unless the MR is responsible for these factors, he/she should not be handed the nonconformance.

So I ask again: was this a registration audit? Was this a nonconformance? Which standard was being audited?

S

Sam4Quality

Originally posted by Jennifer Kirley

While I agree it is important for the management rep to understand the requirements of the system, I am questioning the audit finding until I learn if this was an internal or external audit, what standard the organization was being audited against, and which element the finding was written against.

Or, was this just a comment? It reads like one, because this write up is inferring the MR is responsible for "Adherence to the specified product monitoring requirements & controls over the outsourced activities."

If the specified product monitoring requirements and controls over the outsourced activities are not being adhered to, the writeup should be addressing that/those process owner(s). If there is no process in place that establishes this control or the process is not being followed, the writeup should address that. If there is no audit of the process or the auditing was ineffective, the writeup should have addressed these factors. Unless the MR is responsible for these factors, he/she should not be handed the nonconformance.

So I ask again: was this a registration audit? Was this a nonconformance? Which standard was being audited?

While the OP's auditors statements may be slightly misleading due to the following second sentence related to product monitoring requirements, it is clear that the OP is questioning only the first statement related to the MR.

I think both statements are independent of each other except the fact that it is the responsibility of the MR to ensure that "adherence to the product monitoring requirements & controls over the outsourced activities need to be ensured."

Ashwini, if you can just clarify this and Jennifer's comments.

Ciao. :cool:

A

ashujanu

FIRST I WILL REPLY TO JE.NNIFER'S COMMENTS:

1. While I agree it is important for the management rep to understand the requirements of the system, I am questioning the audit finding until I learn if this was an internal or external audit, what standard the organization was being audited against, and which element the finding was written against.

Jennifer, when I had posted this thread, it was when the initial i.e. stage-1 audit was done. it was registeration audit. We are going in for ISO 9001:2008 standardization.

Whatever the initial auditor had written in his interim audit report, was just a comment.

Acutally the first scentence : The Management Representative needs to be more versed with the requirements of the standard as well as the organization's own system documentation. was meant for me i..e. MR. this the auditor had said because at the time of intial external audit, i was not allowed by my unit head and the coordinator to reply to any queries raised by the auditor. they were of the opinion that as this being the first external audit as an MR, I may be nervous and may not be able to put my view forward whcih will then result for the auditor to give me more NCs. Whenever and whatever questions, the auditor used to ask me & all the time he was lookng at me because he is expecting reply from me after all... but before I could open my mouth, the unit head used to reply. Unit Head had already gone through the external auditors in his previous company so that's why he knows how to answer to them.

and another scentence: Adherence to the specified product monitoring requirements & controls over the outsourced activities need to be ensured - was meant for the HODs of various divisions )i.e. process owners). I had metntioned this two scentences togethr becuase even though HODs are responsible for monitoring the product requirements, I as an MR and as per the Central Procedure and in the quality plan of all the divisions where in the work instructions there was an SOP on monitoring and measuring of product, I should have insisted on these HODs to adhere to it (as per the external auditor)... Inspite of my repeated e-mails, personal talks, and also warnings from the Unit Head, none of the HODs had adhered to teh product monitoring only because they thought that it is all an time consuming process... in the external intial audit itself, the auditor had leafed through the quality plan of other divisions .. and he had seen this process and he waned to verify from the unit head how we are going about it.. when the unit head could not give evidences for the same, as this was an non confermance, we were issued NC for this.

Yes, Sam you are right 100% as usual.

Jennifer, hope your queries got answered.. but even if any other doubt is there, do let me know.

bye

ashwini

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Establishing an initial audit schedule for Pharma Suppliers General Auditing Discussions 2
S Initial Audit FDA US Medical Device Regulations 3
J Stage 2 audit initial cert, few data points ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Y Time gap for First Surveillance Audit of AS9100D after initial certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
W AS9100C registration - How long does the system have to run before initial audit? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
J Required Audit Days for TS 16949 Initial Certification Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
JoCam NADCAP Initial Audit Cancellation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
L IS/TS 16949 Initial Cert. Audit - placed on 3rd party containment with Customer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B AS9100 Initial Exposure - Completed my first AS9100 Scope Extension audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
P AS 9100 - Initial Phase Audit - Certified with Majors or Minors? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 20
J Is it a must to run EMS for 3 months before initial external audit Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 7
Antonio Vieira Auditor time for initial audit - ISO/IEC Guide 62 or EN 45012 General Auditing Discussions 1
J How many days should our initial ISO14001 audit take? Two sites - 700 People Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 7
K Major Non-Conformity During Initial TS16949 Audit Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
S Common "misses" (Failure Modes) in Initial TS 16949 Upgrade Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D Subcontractor Evaluation - Require onsite visit after the initial audit? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
J API Q1 - 5.6.1.2 (b) - Initial Supplier Evaluation—Critical Purchases Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
D Is it required to have the operator initial their work in the IATF 16949:2016 standard? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Critical Supplier Initial evaluation for single purchases Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 16
D Initial Importer question Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Y Must Initial importers have any QMS? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M How to apply IEC 62304 Problem Resolution Process for bugs discovered prior to release i.e. during initial development? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
S Initial PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 6
M MDSAP required for Device Initial Importer/Distributor into Canada? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 11
M Initial Importer/Distributor and Software Validation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
K Initial capability studies on similar parts APQP and PPAP 7
I If i do not want to be an initial importer should i register with FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
U Is Initial Importer Status Required if a Medical Device is Manufactured and Sterilized by an OEM in the US Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
J Furnace repaired - Do I need a new initial TUS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
I IQOQ or just initial calibration required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K FDA - Can we have more than 1 Initial Importer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
J How much to charge for helping a startup company with initial ISO 13485 certification? Consultants and Consulting 3
J ISO 13485 System 'soft start' - How to best reflect this in initial audits, management review minutes and other records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
H CQI-15 2nd Edition - Date of initial assessment? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
MrTetris How to qualitatively assess initial probability ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
S Private Label Requirements, Manufacturer's Registration & Initial Importers 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S Medical Device Initial Importer (DII) Requirements - Delivery Address 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
J AIAG PPAP: 2.2.11.3 Acceptance Criteria for Initial Study (page 9, 4th edition) APQP and PPAP 1
L Why is initial production units, lots, or batches, or their equivalents required for Design Validation? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
S Initial Importer and ISO 13485 (MDSAP) - Will the US company be included? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Should an Initial Importer separately do Establishment Registration? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
J Initial capability for injection molding part Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
T Customer special status and initial IATF certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
A Setting initial Expiry Date of an IVD per BS EN 23640:2015 Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
S Registration/Listing; Initial Importer - Private Label w/ Foreign Establishment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
V Inspection of Initial Importer/ Distributor Products and Materials 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
GURU SDI Cleanliness Requirements for Initial Samples Customer Complaints 4
dubrizo Initial Supplier Identification, Review and Controls ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
dubrizo Initial Impressions of Newly Released IATF 16949 Standard IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 43
C Service and maintenance in an initial importer facility USA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4