SBS - The best value in QMS software

Initial Environmental Review and Gap Analysis, difference?

Hi all,

I'm setting up an Initial Environmental Review for a company, but from my understanding that's the same as an Gap Analysis right?

I've got a copy of the ISO 14004:2004 with some tips for the initial environmental review.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

harry

Super Moderator
Hi all,

I'm setting up an Initial Environmental Review for a company, but from my understanding that's the same as an Gap Analysis right?

I've got a copy of the ISO 14004:2004 with some tips for the initial environmental review.
Welcome to the Cove.

1. What is your concern?

2. My personal observation is that the term Gap Analysis is often used by practitioners in the standards and business fields whereas Initial Environmental Review is more used by Academicians and those in the regulatory fields.

3. In general, I agree that both terms mean the same although there can be subtle differences if we want to split hairs.

Welcome to the Cove.

1. What is your concern?

2. My personal observation is that the term Gap Analysis is often used by practitioners in the standards and business fields whereas Initial Environmental Review is more used by Academicians and those in the regulatory fields.

3. In general, I agree that both terms mean the same although there can be subtle differences if we want to split hairs.
I'm wondering if i'm doing it right. I'm using a strengt weaknes observation now for every chapter of the ISO 14001 standard. Besides that i've setup an legal and other requirements register and environmental aspects list.

I'm relativly new to the ISO, but thanks to the cove and others i'm learning everyday

I write this from memory.

In the early days of environmental management system, we used to refer to BS 7750 and EMAS. Both required a review of the environmental situation of the organization, including past accidents, incidents, licences obtained, disputes with stakeholders etc., before starting to work on the EMS. Essentially the environmental review is to know (and capture all relevant information available not only in documents but also anecdotal) the condition, and potential liabilities and issues, before embarking on setting the EMS.

A gap analysis is done against a reference standard (e.g. ISO-14001) and gaps between what has been achieved and what is required under each operating section is captured in a gap analysis.

K

kgott

Hi all,

There is a bit of difference, in that a gap analysis compares what currently is against what is required by the standard.

An environmental review is about leaving aside 14001 and reviewing 'where things are at with managing the environment. This is where we are, this is what we are currently doing, these are our next steps, this is what we need to do achieve the environmental objectives (and comply with the requirements of 14001 at the same time.)

Thansk for the feedback guys :)

There is a bit of difference, in that a gap analysis compares what currently is against what is required by the standard.

An environmental review is about leaving aside 14001 and reviewing 'where things are at with managing the environment. This is where we are, this is what we are currently doing, these are our next steps, this is what we need to do achieve the environmental objectives (and comply with the requirements of 14001 at the same time.)
Looks like i'm doing more a GAP analysis. But thanks i guess i'm on the right track.

When I perform an Initial Environmental Review (IER), I am typically looking to determine the organization's aspects. I am not looking at compliance with any standard, or regulation. Just listing what all of the aspects are. If I recall correctly, we used Marilyn Block's book as a reference when we first started (but that was probably close to 15 years ago).

A gap analysis is looking at a standard and determining where you stand, and if there are any gaps in what you have versus what you should have.

Two totally different things.

When I perform an Initial Environmental Review (IER), I am typically looking to determine the organization's aspects. I am not looking at compliance with any standard, or regulation. Just listing what all of the aspects are. If I recall correctly, we used Marilyn Block's book as a reference when we first started (but that was probably close to 15 years ago).

A gap analysis is looking at a standard and determining where you stand, and if there are any gaps in what you have versus what you should have.

Two totally different things.
Ok thanks for the info about the Book, might be usefull. May i ask how long your aspect list was? If that was all you did for the IER it might be really short.

Actually, it started out quite long. We broke the location down to areas and had a separate IER for each area (including building exterior). Over all, we had well over 300 individual items (many were duplicates). We then narrowed them down to about 75. From that, we developed our significant aspect list.

We also kept records to show each step. This was done to show the auditor our due diligence, and so we could always have something to look back at to figure out the whats and whys of our EMS.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Is an Initial Environmental Review a must while implementing ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
A Initial condition for establishing significant environmental aspects Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
I IQOQ or just initial calibration required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K FDA - Can we have more than 1 Initial Importer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
J How much to charge for helping a startup company with initial ISO 13485 certification? Consultants and Consulting 3
J ISO 13485 System 'soft start' - How to best reflect this in initial audits, management review minutes and other records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
H CQI-15 2nd Edition - Date of initial assessment? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
MrTetris How to qualitatively assess initial probability ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
S Private Label Requirements, Manufacturer's Registration & Initial Importers 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S Medical Device Initial Importer (DII) Requirements - Delivery Address 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
J AIAG PPAP: 2.2.11.3 Acceptance Criteria for Initial Study (page 9, 4th edition) APQP and PPAP 1
L Why is initial production units, lots, or batches, or their equivalents required for Design Validation? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
S Initial Importer and ISO 13485 (MDSAP) - Will the US company be included? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Should an Initial Importer separately do Establishment Registration? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Y Time gap for First Surveillance Audit of AS9100D after initial certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
J Initial capability for injection molding part Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
T Customer special status and initial IATF certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
A Setting initial Expiry Date of an IVD per BS EN 23640:2015 Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
S Registration/Listing; Initial Importer - Private Label w/ Foreign Establishment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
V Inspection of Initial Importer/ Distributor Products and Materials 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
GURU SDI Cleanliness Requirements for Initial Samples Customer Complaints 4
dubrizo Initial Supplier Identification, Review and Controls ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
dubrizo Initial Impressions of Newly Released IATF 16949 Standard IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 43
C Service and maintenance in an initial importer facility USA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
A We passed our ISO TS 16949 initial certification Covegratulations 3
knightarmourus Initial Samples with dimensional deviation in Serial Production Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
E Addition of Label by Initial Importer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S Struggling with definition of Initial Importer and First Title 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
A API Q1 5.6.1.2 - Initial Supplier Evaluation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 9
W AS9100C registration - How long does the system have to run before initial audit? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
J Required Audit Days for TS 16949 Initial Certification Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J Is DCR (Document Change Request) Needed for Initial QMS Procedures? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
C DCN or ECN for Initial Release of FMEA & CP and subsequent changes? FMEA and Control Plans 3
JoCam NADCAP Initial Audit Cancellation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
E Initial Registration of an Establishment with FDA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
W Contract Initial Importer and Order Handling for a Class I Medical Device Service Industry Specific Topics 2
L How to change the status of "Initial Importer" on the FURLS site US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Q Engineering purchased a new Caliper - 7.6 - Initial Calibration Required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
J Customer wants a P-value with our initial Process Studies Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
M 7.5.1.3 Should mentioned examples such as initial run be verified or validated? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
W How do you determine the initial recall date for instrumentation? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
K 820.180(b) Record Retention - Does it apply here? We act as the initial Importer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
X General Motors' initial process study requirements APQP and PPAP 1
H Design Control Requirement - Initial Distributor of a Class I Video Laryngoscope US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
M AS9100 Rev C Initial Certification - Determination of Competence AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
N Initial Status Review - Certification to OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
S What's the difference between prototype and initial samples? APQP and PPAP 5
B Fabricated Dry Powder Storage Tank - Initial Cleaning Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 5
I ISO 10993-1:2009 Sensitization (Initial Evaluation Test) vs. USP Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
L IS/TS 16949 Initial Cert. Audit - placed on 3rd party containment with Customer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3