Initial ISO 9001 Status Assessment (Gap Analysis)

L

luksha

Hello,

I'm new to this board, so maybe I have missed something, but I can't find information on inital assesment.

Today I got new job - to implement ISO 9001:2000 quality managemet system in enterprise, which business is wood production - log buildings, garden furniture etc.

So first thing I should do is assess current situation of quality management
My current plan is:
1) look at organisation structure
2) gather all available work instructions
3) talk to everybody in enterprise, draw a flowchart of what he's doing and gather all the forms he's using
4) compare those flowcharts to clauses of ISO and find out which of the clauses are not fulfiled.

So, maybe someone could give some advice on this initial assesment, like, what should I do, to what should I pay special attention, what I shouldn't do etc.

Any advice is welcome!

Normunds

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: ISO 9001 initial assesment

First of all Welcome to the Cove!!! :bigwave:

It sounds like you are on a good starting point. You need to find out what we call your current state. Then compare that with the desired state and find the differences.

A couple of things though. By your term "initial assessment", are you referring to your assessment, or one by a registrar? It looks like step 4 might be your initial assessment (at least in part). Also, you will have to compare what you do not only to the individual clauses, but also make sure every "shall" in the standard is addressed.

There is a lot of work to do, but based on your post, I think you will do quite well.

L

luksha

Thanks for reply :)

You are right - I am refering to assessment I am doing, assessment of current state.

I have quite a lot to do, this is the first time I'm leading ISO implementation project in enterprise, so I will ask a lot of question here I guess... But it seems that people here are helpful :)

Normunds

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Cove, Normunds!

Attached is a checklist that I use for a "gap analysis" before starting implementation of ISO 9001. Every requirement has a place to record what exists that meets (or doesn't meet) the requirement. When you're done, you should have a good list of requirements that need to be addressed.

Also attached is a copy of a gap analysis I did a week or two ago for a company that is working on ISO 9001 implementation like yourself.

Attachments

howste said:

Attached is a checklist that I use for a "gap analysis" before starting implementation of ISO 9001. Every requirement has a place to record what exists that meets (or doesn't meet) the requirement. When you're done, you should have a good list of requirements that need to be addressed.

Also attached is a copy of a gap analysis I did a week or two ago for a company that is working on ISO 9001 implementation like yourself.
Not too shabby. Do the crossreferences corelate to the QMS documentation, or to other parts of the assessment? I did not take enough time to try to track them.

L

luksha

howste said:

Thanks for helping, but I cannot download the files You attached, so it would be great if You could send them right over to my e-mail ([email protected])!

I still don't have access to attachment dowload, have to get credit card somwhere...

Normunds

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
db said:
Not too shabby. Do the crossreferences corelate to the QMS documentation, or to other parts of the assessment? I did not take enough time to try to track them.
I assume you mean the references in the gap analysis. They are referencing other parts of the assessment - ISO 9001 numbers.

Normunds, I sent the files by email yesterday afternoon.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J How much to charge for helping a startup company with initial ISO 13485 certification? Consultants and Consulting 3
J ISO 13485 System 'soft start' - How to best reflect this in initial audits, management review minutes and other records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Initial Importer and ISO 13485 (MDSAP) - Will the US company be included? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A We passed our ISO TS 16949 initial certification Covegratulations 3
C Is an Initial Environmental Review a must while implementing ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
I ISO 10993-1:2009 Sensitization (Initial Evaluation Test) vs. USP Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
C Initial Environment Review / Gap analysis report format for ISO 14001:2004 wanted ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
Antonio Vieira Auditor time for initial audit - ISO/IEC Guide 62 or EN 45012 General Auditing Discussions 1
H CQI-15 2nd Edition - Date of initial assessment? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
MrTetris How to qualitatively assess initial probability ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
S Private Label Requirements, Manufacturer's Registration & Initial Importers 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Medical Device Initial Importer (DII) Requirements - Delivery Address 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
J AIAG PPAP: 2.2.11.3 Acceptance Criteria for Initial Study (page 9, 4th edition) APQP and PPAP 1
L Why is initial production units, lots, or batches, or their equivalents required for Design Validation? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
S Should an Initial Importer separately do Establishment Registration? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Y Time gap for First Surveillance Audit of AS9100D after initial certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
J Initial capability for injection molding part Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
T Customer special status and initial IATF certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
A Setting initial Expiry Date of an IVD per BS EN 23640:2015 Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
S Registration/Listing; Initial Importer - Private Label w/ Foreign Establishment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
V Inspection of Initial Importer/ Distributor Products and Materials 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
GURU SDI Cleanliness Requirements for Initial Samples Customer Complaints 4
dubrizo Initial Supplier Identification, Review and Controls ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
dubrizo Initial Impressions of Newly Released IATF 16949 Standard IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 43
C Service and maintenance in an initial importer facility USA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
K Initial Samples with dimensional deviation in Serial Production Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
E Addition of Label by Initial Importer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S Struggling with definition of Initial Importer and First Title 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
A API Q1 5.6.1.2 - Initial Supplier Evaluation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 9
W AS9100C registration - How long does the system have to run before initial audit? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
J Required Audit Days for TS 16949 Initial Certification Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
JodiB Is DCR (Document Change Request) Needed for Initial QMS Procedures? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
4 Initial Environmental Review and Gap Analysis, difference? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 8
C DCN or ECN for Initial Release of FMEA & CP and subsequent changes? FMEA and Control Plans 3
JoCam NADCAP Initial Audit Cancellation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
E Initial Registration of an Establishment with FDA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
W Contract Initial Importer and Order Handling for a Class I Medical Device Service Industry Specific Topics 2
L How to change the status of "Initial Importer" on the FURLS site US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Q Engineering purchased a new Caliper - 7.6 - Initial Calibration Required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
J Customer wants a P-value with our initial Process Studies Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
M 7.5.1.3 Should mentioned examples such as initial run be verified or validated? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
W How do you determine the initial recall date for instrumentation? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
K 820.180(b) Record Retention - Does it apply here? We act as the initial Importer 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
X General Motors' initial process study requirements APQP and PPAP 1
H Design Control Requirement - Initial Distributor of a Class I Video Laryngoscope US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
M AS9100 Rev C Initial Certification - Determination of Competence AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
N Initial Status Review - Certification to OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
S What's the difference between prototype and initial samples? APQP and PPAP 5
B Fabricated Dry Powder Storage Tank - Initial Cleaning Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 5
L IS/TS 16949 Initial Cert. Audit - placed on 3rd party containment with Customer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3