Injection Moulding - Definitions of T0, T1 Samples produced from new mold tooling

L

LoganNime

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I'm looking for some definitions of what can reasonably be expected from T0 and T1 samples produced from new mould (mold) tools.

My understanding is that T0 is the very first part from the tool, and establishes that it is capable of moulding something.
T1 should effectively be correct to the original design data, and be good enough quality to carry out a first article inspection - it might not be in the correct colour, and would not have the correct surface texture. Any changes beyond that point would either be because the tool/part did not match the original data (toolmaker's responsibility), or because testing the part has highlighted a problem with the original design (designer's responsibility).
If T1 samples are approved, the tool can have the correct surface texture applied and be prepared for export, or production.

Can anyone confirm that my assumptions are correct or not, or expand on a typical sampling and approval programme?
Thank you.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

tamale

Re: Injection moulding - definitions of T0, T1 samples

Are you sure you don't mean P1 (prototype) that's what I have worked with. P1, P2, P3...until an accepted part.

Tamale

L

LoganNime

Re: Injection moulding - definitions of T0, T1 samples

No, T0, T1, T2 are recognised terms when supplying the first off-the-tool sample plastic parts to a customer for evaluation. I want to know if that my understanding of the state of those samples is consistent with the definition used by most toolmakers.
Thanks,

L

LoganNime

Perhaps I'm not being clear - 'T1' is a term widely used by toolmakers and mechanical designers for the first samples from the tool presented to a customer for review. I want to know if there is a standard definition for the state a T1 sample should be in, should it be in the correct material, should it be dimensionally accurate, should it be supplied with a first article inspection etc...
I'm sure there are other terms used, but I specifically want to know if there is a definition of T0, T1, T2? Otherwise I run the risk that one toolmaker's definition of T1 is very different to another's...

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
I could not find specific definitions for these, but I did find enough consistency in the usage to infer the following:

• T0: Parts off the mold exactly as designed and built (the mold)
  • T1: Parts off the mold after corrections made from layout of T0 parts. Theoretically, T1 parts are ready for the customer approval.
  • T2: Parts off the mold after a second set of corrections made from layout of T1 parts. Theoretically, you should not have a need for T2 parts.

L

LoganNime

Thanks Miner, seems to tally with my experience. I guess it's still worth getting the toolmaker to clarify his understanding of these terms, before an order is placed, if there is no standard definition. I'll keep looking though...

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Thanks Miner, seems to tally with my experience. I guess it's still worth getting the toolmaker to clarify his understanding of these terms, before an order is placed, if there is no standard definition. I'll keep looking though...
I've never heard of the T0,T1... thing either, per se, for what it's worth. It would be a good thing to be very specific with the toolmaker as to what's expected for tool validation. A standard (any standard) becomes a standard only when two parties agree to it.

L

LoganNime

If you Google something like 'mould tool T1' the terms are in fairly common use by toolmakers. Most of them state in their payment terms that the final 30% of the fee is payable on customer approval of T1 samples, but I agree with you, both parties have to be singing from the same hymn sheet...

If you Google something like 'mould tool T1' the terms are in fairly common use by toolmakers. Most of them state in their payment terms that the final 30% of the fee is payable on customer approval of T1 samples, but I agree with you, both parties have to be singing from the same hymn sheet...
Even if terms are in fairly common use, it doesn't necessarily follow that the definitions are. That's why it's a dangerous thing to make assumptions about so-called industry standards that aren't codified anywhere in a commonly accepted form. If you can't say "T0 according to [some standard] revision x" you'd better define your terms.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Injection Moulding Process (Special Process) Validation Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
S What is appropriate PPM level for a Plastic Injection Moulding Supplier Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
M Injection Moulding Minitab DOE - All P Values are 0 Using Minitab Software 7
somashekar How to technically describe a Plastic Injection Moulding Tool Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
K Lean Implementation for Injection Moulding Company Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 12
M Raw Material Handling & Mixing in Plastic Injection Moulding Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
F Making a REACH statement - Plastic Injection Moulding RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
X Fanuc Injection Moulding Machine - Variable stage speed/pressure injection profiles Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M What is your most significant experience in Reducing Injection Moulding Cycle Time? Manufacturing and Related Processes 18
A Looking For Arburg (320-210-500) Injection Moulding Machine Manual Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 10
E Quality Manual needed (Plastic Injection Moulding) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 15
L Injection moulding supplier control and data - Plastic head band Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
P FMEA and Control Plan for Plastic Injection Moulding/Painting Process FMEA and Control Plans 15
D Injection Moulding Tooling validation checklist - Example wanted Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M How do I Calculate a Weight Tolerance? Plastic Injection Moulding Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
H Validation Report - IQ, OQ, PQ and Reports for Injection Moulding and/or Sealers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
N Machine tonnage required for plastic injection moulding process Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
P DOE sample on plastic injection moulding process needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
L Validation of Processes - Plastic Injection Moulding - ISO 9001 Clause 7.5.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
CarolX Plastic Injection Moulding Set-up sheet template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
P UL 746 D - Polymeric Materials - Fabricated Parts - Plastic Injection Moulding Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
S Satellite operations in Eastern Europe - TS16949 - Injection moulding company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
N Corrective Action - Increased Manufacturing Involvement - Injection moulding company Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
Howard Atkins SPC and Injection Moulding Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 66
W DFMEA (Design FMEA) for Bulk Material - Resin for Plastic Injection Moulding FMEA and Control Plans 1
R Validation of Processes for Injection Moulding - Special Process? Clause 7.5.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
Howard Atkins SPC in Injection Moulding and Metal Pressing/Stamping Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 19
M Cmk calculation - Small plastic parts using injection-moulding machine Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
C Custom Injection Molding - Multiple Cavities and Subgrouping Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
D Measurables for Plastic Injection molding process Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Continuous Improvement Plan - Plastic injection molding IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
L Purge - Injection Molding Processes Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
A How to set up Continuous CpK monitoring of an injection mold process Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
D Classification of Syringe (nozzle) of needle free injection system. EU Medical Device Regulations 8
C Clean room injection molding, raw material mixing requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Raw material Mixing / Preparation for clean room class C injection molding Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
Z Operational Qualification for Injection Molding Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
J Looking for FMEA plastic injection molding FMEA and Control Plans 8
Y How to fix weight tolerance for plastic injection molded part? Does it vary with material groups? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J Injection molding: specific perimeters Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
S Change notice while switching to injection molding technique for manufacturing EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Help with Arburg Allround 320s Injection Molding Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
P Injection Molding Machine Validation Scope Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
J Dimension control on injection molding parts Manufacturing and Related Processes 19
J Initial capability for injection molding part Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
A Maximum bubble volume for subcutaneous injection IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
V Clarification of Injection part shrinkage ratio Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Plastic Injection Molding Process Troubleshooting Guide Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
L Injection & Extrusion Process FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1
N Injection Molding - Median individual control charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6