Injection Moulding - Definitions of T0, T1 Samples produced from new mold tooling

L

LoganNime

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I'm looking for some definitions of what can reasonably be expected from T0 and T1 samples produced from new mould (mold) tools.

My understanding is that T0 is the very first part from the tool, and establishes that it is capable of moulding something.
T1 should effectively be correct to the original design data, and be good enough quality to carry out a first article inspection - it might not be in the correct colour, and would not have the correct surface texture. Any changes beyond that point would either be because the tool/part did not match the original data (toolmaker's responsibility), or because testing the part has highlighted a problem with the original design (designer's responsibility).
If T1 samples are approved, the tool can have the correct surface texture applied and be prepared for export, or production.

Can anyone confirm that my assumptions are correct or not, or expand on a typical sampling and approval programme?
Thank you.

T

tamale

Re: Injection moulding - definitions of T0, T1 samples

Are you sure you don't mean P1 (prototype) that's what I have worked with. P1, P2, P3...until an accepted part.

Tamale

L

LoganNime

Re: Injection moulding - definitions of T0, T1 samples

No, T0, T1, T2 are recognised terms when supplying the first off-the-tool sample plastic parts to a customer for evaluation. I want to know if that my understanding of the state of those samples is consistent with the definition used by most toolmakers.
Thanks,

L

LoganNime

Perhaps I'm not being clear - 'T1' is a term widely used by toolmakers and mechanical designers for the first samples from the tool presented to a customer for review. I want to know if there is a standard definition for the state a T1 sample should be in, should it be in the correct material, should it be dimensionally accurate, should it be supplied with a first article inspection etc...
I'm sure there are other terms used, but I specifically want to know if there is a definition of T0, T1, T2? Otherwise I run the risk that one toolmaker's definition of T1 is very different to another's...

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
I could not find specific definitions for these, but I did find enough consistency in the usage to infer the following:

• T0: Parts off the mold exactly as designed and built (the mold)
  • T1: Parts off the mold after corrections made from layout of T0 parts. Theoretically, T1 parts are ready for the customer approval.
  • T2: Parts off the mold after a second set of corrections made from layout of T1 parts. Theoretically, you should not have a need for T2 parts.

L

LoganNime

Thanks Miner, seems to tally with my experience. I guess it's still worth getting the toolmaker to clarify his understanding of these terms, before an order is placed, if there is no standard definition. I'll keep looking though...

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Thanks Miner, seems to tally with my experience. I guess it's still worth getting the toolmaker to clarify his understanding of these terms, before an order is placed, if there is no standard definition. I'll keep looking though...
I've never heard of the T0,T1... thing either, per se, for what it's worth. It would be a good thing to be very specific with the toolmaker as to what's expected for tool validation. A standard (any standard) becomes a standard only when two parties agree to it.

L

LoganNime

If you Google something like 'mould tool T1' the terms are in fairly common use by toolmakers. Most of them state in their payment terms that the final 30% of the fee is payable on customer approval of T1 samples, but I agree with you, both parties have to be singing from the same hymn sheet...

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
If you Google something like 'mould tool T1' the terms are in fairly common use by toolmakers. Most of them state in their payment terms that the final 30% of the fee is payable on customer approval of T1 samples, but I agree with you, both parties have to be singing from the same hymn sheet...

Even if terms are in fairly common use, it doesn't necessarily follow that the definitions are. That's why it's a dangerous thing to make assumptions about so-called industry standards that aren't codified anywhere in a commonly accepted form. If you can't say "T0 according to [some standard] revision x" you'd better define your terms.

Top Bottom