Injection moulding supplier control and data - Plastic head band

L

Led_honda

Hi All,

I am new to this forum, so firstly I will introduce myself.
Currently I work as a product design engineer for a company in Ireland call BMR. Its great to see a forum which is very active in helping one another.

Here is my problem:

We have an injection molded part, a headband that is being produced at a china factory. The initial run of part was very successful and the headband was approved for manufacture. (Its a structural part)

We decide to have a small production run to ensure we had good product before full scale. However during this molding run the headbands became brittle. After evaluation we discovered that as a result of running the molding machine too cold, the part degraded. I have asked the molder to supply me with some data on a continuously basis so I can ensure temperature, pressures etc are kept and controlled. It may also give me some visibility to the route cause should a failure happen in the future.

Currently the only method we have to identify a good part is a destructive test. So carryout sampling methods become very expensive..

Can anyone give me a little guidance?
I know it’s a big area,

Led

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
Welcome,

What is your agreement with the supplier in terms of quality responsibility?
He should be capable of providing a correct part and he should prove to you that the part is OK.

Unfortunately you are doing his work, you must demand that he supplies process monitoring data and he perform the testing.

If he is not providing what you want tell him that you intend to change supplier. I am afraid that in your situation only the stick will work.

Remember: Only the rich can afford to buy cheaply

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

I have asked the molder to supply me with some data on a continuously basis so I can ensure temperature, pressures etc are kept and controlled.

Welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

This will ensure only that the supplier is giving you data, and not that the machine settings are being properly maintained. Process control requirements should be established at the outset and not after tooling is made and production is ready to start. You now have concrete evidence that your supplier isn't reliable, and perhaps not competent. At this point you need to have the supplier tell you why things went wrong and what they've done to prevent it from happening in the future (a corrective action report, in other words), with the emphasis on how they will control production, including testing.

Currently the only method we have to identify a good part is a destructive test. So carryout sampling methods become very expensive..
You will have to go on doing the destructive testing until you're satisfied that the supplier is doing what they're supposed to be doing. You might consider chargebacks to the supplier for the parts lost to testing. As Howard suggested, you are likely to need some sort of "incentive" for the supplier to understand that they'll be held responsible for their lack of process control.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S What is appropriate PPM level for a Plastic Injection Moulding Supplier Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
L Injection Moulding Process (Special Process) Validation Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
M Injection Moulding Minitab DOE - All P Values are 0 Using Minitab Software 7
somashekar How to technically describe a Plastic Injection Moulding Tool Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
K Lean Implementation for Injection Moulding Company Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 12
M Raw Material Handling & Mixing in Plastic Injection Moulding Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
F Making a REACH statement - Plastic Injection Moulding RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
X Fanuc Injection Moulding Machine - Variable stage speed/pressure injection profiles Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
L Injection Moulding - Definitions of T0, T1 Samples produced from new mold tooling Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
M What is your most significant experience in Reducing Injection Moulding Cycle Time? Manufacturing and Related Processes 18
A Looking For Arburg (320-210-500) Injection Moulding Machine Manual Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 10
E Quality Manual needed (Plastic Injection Moulding) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 15
P FMEA and Control Plan for Plastic Injection Moulding/Painting Process FMEA and Control Plans 15
D Injection Moulding Tooling validation checklist - Example wanted Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M How do I Calculate a Weight Tolerance? Plastic Injection Moulding Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 18
H Validation Report - IQ, OQ, PQ and Reports for Injection Moulding and/or Sealers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
N Machine tonnage required for plastic injection moulding process Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
P DOE sample on plastic injection moulding process needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
L Validation of Processes - Plastic Injection Moulding - ISO 9001 Clause 7.5.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
CarolX Plastic Injection Moulding Set-up sheet template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
P UL 746 D - Polymeric Materials - Fabricated Parts - Plastic Injection Moulding Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
S Satellite operations in Eastern Europe - TS16949 - Injection moulding company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
N Corrective Action - Increased Manufacturing Involvement - Injection moulding company Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
Howard Atkins SPC and Injection Moulding Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 66
W DFMEA (Design FMEA) for Bulk Material - Resin for Plastic Injection Moulding FMEA and Control Plans 1
R Validation of Processes for Injection Moulding - Special Process? Clause 7.5.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
Howard Atkins SPC in Injection Moulding and Metal Pressing/Stamping Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 19
M Cmk calculation - Small plastic parts using injection-moulding machine Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
C Custom Injection Molding - Multiple Cavities and Subgrouping Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
D Measurables for Plastic Injection molding process Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Continuous Improvement Plan - Plastic injection molding IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
L Purge - Injection Molding Processes Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
A How to set up Continuous CpK monitoring of an injection mold process Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
D Classification of Syringe (nozzle) of needle free injection system. EU Medical Device Regulations 8
C Clean room injection molding, raw material mixing requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Raw material Mixing / Preparation for clean room class C injection molding Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
Z Operational Qualification for Injection Molding Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
J Looking for FMEA plastic injection molding FMEA and Control Plans 8
Y How to fix weight tolerance for plastic injection molded part? Does it vary with material groups? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J Injection molding: specific perimeters Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
S Change notice while switching to injection molding technique for manufacturing EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Help with Arburg Allround 320s Injection Molding Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
P Injection Molding Machine Validation Scope Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
J Dimension control on injection molding parts Manufacturing and Related Processes 19
J Initial capability for injection molding part Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
A Maximum bubble volume for subcutaneous injection IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
V Clarification of Injection part shrinkage ratio Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
A Plastic Injection Molding Process Troubleshooting Guide Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
L Injection & Extrusion Process FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1
N Injection Molding - Median individual control charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6