Inquiry about QC Testing (In Line Sampling)

D

DJ5657

Hi, Guys. I really need your help. Can anyone here help me to identify in existing standards such as automotive and jedec and others if our existing QC Testing test process is a requirement?

Here is our Test process flow overview :

Step 1: Lot preparation and Work Place readiness.
Step 2 : Lot Track In. This step enters to the system the details of lot ID that is for test.
Step 3 : Class Testing. All IC will be electrically tested.
Step 4 : QC Testing (In Line Sampling). This is done every end of class testing. Where in number of samples will be tested again using QC program.
Step 5 : Count reconciliation. Counting of Bin 1 and rejects.

Hope that someone will reply asap.

Thanks.

W

Winrich Germann

Hi,

as you have not further specified which types of products you want to test, and how it is done and documented in detail, it is difficult for me to provide specific suggestions.

Well, as far as I know no standard defines a specific testing procedure, because there is no one-fit-all solution. The "good practice" rule applies instead, this means "state of the art".

Some ideas:
  • Liaise with your R&D department and ask them, how they performed testing during development - maybe they even have some scientific literature about it
  • Do some research on your own
  • Maybe IEEE Xplore?
  • Apply statistical test design (e.g. to define min sample size & frequency)
  • Analyze your process to identify the steps which are critical for the resulting quality / waste and target your testing activities based on these facts
  • Write a testing procedure and clear test spcifications
  • Document and analyze your test results
Best regards

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
I am assuming that you are questioning whether or not the binning process must be QC tested? In other words your in-process test, bins ICs by some criteria (speed, voltage, etc.) and then QC takes a sample of the bin(s) to determine if the ICs were binned correctly?

If this is your question it is a pretty specific question. someone who is closer to this industry right now will have to answer it...

in the meantime, perhaps if we knew why you were questioning whether or not this is 'required' by some standard we could provide more general help...

D

DJ5657

Hi, Bev D. You captured the background correctly. I am questioning our current test process flow because I am seeing high gain in our productivity if this will be removed. Now I need your help if there will be a violation on standards if this will be removed, or if there is a standard that mandates to perform QC testing on all IC devices during electrical testing.

Hope that someone will extend help on this.

D

DJ5657

Hi,

as you have not further specified which types of products you want to test, and how it is done and documented in detail, it is difficult for me to provide specific suggestions.

Well, as far as I know no standard defines a specific testing procedure, because there is no one-fit-all solution. The "good practice" rule applies instead, this means "state of the art".

Some ideas:
  • Liaise with your R&D department and ask them, how they performed testing during development - maybe they even have some scientific literature about it
  • Do some research on your own
  • Maybe IEEE Xplore?
  • Apply statistical test design (e.g. to define min sample size & frequency)
  • Analyze your process to identify the steps which are critical for the resulting quality / waste and target your testing activities based on these facts
  • Write a testing procedure and clear test spcifications
  • Document and analyze your test results
Best regards

Hi, thanks for your inputs. Yes after I determine the standard requirement, then I will work with the R&D experts.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
I have been removed from IC testing long enough to no longer remember the standards so someone else will have to answer that specific question.

Some practical advice regarding the removal of the QC testing: QC testing - in this application - is typically a simple repeat of the original binning testing. If your original test program has good repeatability AND the mechanism for allocating the bin is effective then the QC testing will be redundant. the QC testing should pass every time. if it doesn't, you either have a poor repeatability test or your binning mechanism is flawed (sends the IC to wrong location or incorrectly marks it or whatever). From a practical standpoint this is where I would start..

D

DJ5657

Thanks so much Bev D. The challenge here is that there are some devices that encounters unit failure after QC Testing. But these QC samples are already a tested good units. I am seeing factors in our testing handlers and testers like its set up integrity.

The good thing here is : 65% of encountered QC failures are invalid functional rejects upon isolation.

LUV-d-4UM

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello,
The automotive standard TS16949, does not specify how you should conduct in-process QC testing. You need to define the appropriate QC controls to address all of the identified failure modes and reduce the risk to as low as reasonably possible. If your process is in control PpK 1.67 for example the extent of QC sampling test may be reduced. Hope this helps.

D

DJ5657

Hi Luv d 4um, thank you. But I red the TS16949 and browsed it and it does not require in line QC sampling during class testing of IC devices. Please correct me if I am wrong.

LUV-d-4UM

Quite Involved in Discussions
You are absolutely correct. TS does not tell you how to do things. It tells you that you need to control the process(8.2.3) and Product (8.2.4). Your control plan should define in-line QC sampling during class testing of IC device. If you are shipping to a specific OEM there are customer specific requirements that may require in-line QC sampling during testing of IC device.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Misc Calibration Standard Inquiry Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
B AOS Assembly Operations Sheet Inquiry Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
Nikki9154 MDSAP inquiry for China Contract Manufacturers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
I Food Contact Materials Declaration of Compliance Inquiry - (EC) 1935/2004 Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 4
B Inquiry for Class II medical device licence amendment application Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
R Customer Complaint/Nonconforming Product Inquiry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
B Inquiry about MEDDEV 2.12/2 rev2 - PMCF studies EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B Inquiry about Canadian Medical Device Licence with different Establishment Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
B Inquiry about IEC 60601-2-10:2012 & IEC 60601-1-11:2010 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
N NIST Special Publications and Technical Notes inquiry General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Site Master File inquiry - Distribution in India EU Medical Device Regulations 6
R Six Sigma / DPMO Related Inquiry - A 6 Sigma related Statistical Sampling question Six Sigma 2
L Customer Inquiry - Graph showing the expansion of oil (mm) at different temperatures Service Industry Specific Topics 5
R Inquiry for License needed when not releasing your self? Pharmaceutical Products Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
Kales Veggie Shop Floor Real Time SPC Inquiry Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
B Partial Joint (Hip Prosthesis) Replacement Class inquiry EU Medical Device Regulations 3
TarKEpa Inquiry about the number of changes in a document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
K Inquiry on kinds of document a customer is requiring us to submit? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
Marc FDA begins inquiry on Guidant defibrillator flaw World News 1
I Labeling requirements for Type Testing China Medical Device Regulations 1
T Human Factors and Usability Testing in the US - smaller sample size than the required 15 users Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 6
H Regarding 47 CFR 15c testing CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
O ESD Testing IEC 60601 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
Stoic Which medical device companies are using Recombinant Factor C (rFC) instead of Limulus Amebocyte Lysate (LAL) for endotoxin testing? Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 0
S Testing & Validation Phase Design and Development of Products and Processes 1
I Design Verification Testing on Non-Validated Equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R Quality Agreements with external testing laboratories now mandatory? EU Medical Device Regulations 16
A New biocompatibility testing? US Medical Device Regulations 1
S Guidance on Factory Acceptance Testing for injection moulds please Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
C Biocompatability Testing - Electric Breast Pumps , Silicone Component EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L Proficiency Testing Statistical Analysis ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
T Changes to product IFU & Summative Testing IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 1
A Chemotherapy Resistance Testing for EU EU Medical Device Regulations 1
N FDA mechanical bench testing Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
E Microbial Barrier Testing for Medical Devices Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
A Safety testing of Medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C When should I take endotoxin testing? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Safety testing for Medical devices to be sold in India ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
M Test Lab Recommends ANSI C63.27 Wireless Coexistence Testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
P Biocompatibility testing ISO-10993 for FDA submission Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
R Tips on transitioning out of testing lab Career and Occupation Discussions 0
T Aircraft GAPP Software Testing Compliance Question AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
E Usability for Near Patient Testing Test Kit Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
J Single Fault Testing for Secondary Circuits (60601-1 section 13.1) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
P Medical device testing lab/service standard Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
T Cytoxtoxicity Testing Dilution Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
M Altitude testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
H IEC 62368-1 Scope of Testing CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
H EMC & Safety Testing of the product with the same Sr. No. for EC Declaration CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
A Non-medical device testing in the medical system IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0