Inquiry about QC Testing (In Line Sampling)

D

DJ5657

Hi, Guys. I really need your help. Can anyone here help me to identify in existing standards such as automotive and jedec and others if our existing QC Testing test process is a requirement?

Here is our Test process flow overview :

Step 1: Lot preparation and Work Place readiness.
Step 2 : Lot Track In. This step enters to the system the details of lot ID that is for test.
Step 3 : Class Testing. All IC will be electrically tested.
Step 4 : QC Testing (In Line Sampling). This is done every end of class testing. Where in number of samples will be tested again using QC program.
Step 5 : Count reconciliation. Counting of Bin 1 and rejects.

Hope that someone will reply asap.

Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
W

Winrich Germann

Hi,

as you have not further specified which types of products you want to test, and how it is done and documented in detail, it is difficult for me to provide specific suggestions.

Well, as far as I know no standard defines a specific testing procedure, because there is no one-fit-all solution. The "good practice" rule applies instead, this means "state of the art".

Some ideas:
  • Liaise with your R&D department and ask them, how they performed testing during development - maybe they even have some scientific literature about it
  • Do some research on your own
  • Maybe IEEE Xplore?
  • Apply statistical test design (e.g. to define min sample size & frequency)
  • Analyze your process to identify the steps which are critical for the resulting quality / waste and target your testing activities based on these facts
  • Write a testing procedure and clear test spcifications
  • Document and analyze your test results
Best regards

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
I am assuming that you are questioning whether or not the binning process must be QC tested? In other words your in-process test, bins ICs by some criteria (speed, voltage, etc.) and then QC takes a sample of the bin(s) to determine if the ICs were binned correctly?

If this is your question it is a pretty specific question. someone who is closer to this industry right now will have to answer it...

in the meantime, perhaps if we knew why you were questioning whether or not this is 'required' by some standard we could provide more general help...

D

DJ5657

Hi, Bev D. You captured the background correctly. I am questioning our current test process flow because I am seeing high gain in our productivity if this will be removed. Now I need your help if there will be a violation on standards if this will be removed, or if there is a standard that mandates to perform QC testing on all IC devices during electrical testing.

Hope that someone will extend help on this.

D

DJ5657

Hi,

as you have not further specified which types of products you want to test, and how it is done and documented in detail, it is difficult for me to provide specific suggestions.

Well, as far as I know no standard defines a specific testing procedure, because there is no one-fit-all solution. The "good practice" rule applies instead, this means "state of the art".

Some ideas:
  • Liaise with your R&D department and ask them, how they performed testing during development - maybe they even have some scientific literature about it
  • Do some research on your own
  • Maybe IEEE Xplore?
  • Apply statistical test design (e.g. to define min sample size & frequency)
  • Analyze your process to identify the steps which are critical for the resulting quality / waste and target your testing activities based on these facts
  • Write a testing procedure and clear test spcifications
  • Document and analyze your test results
Best regards

Hi, thanks for your inputs. Yes after I determine the standard requirement, then I will work with the R&D experts.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
I have been removed from IC testing long enough to no longer remember the standards so someone else will have to answer that specific question.

Some practical advice regarding the removal of the QC testing: QC testing - in this application - is typically a simple repeat of the original binning testing. If your original test program has good repeatability AND the mechanism for allocating the bin is effective then the QC testing will be redundant. the QC testing should pass every time. if it doesn't, you either have a poor repeatability test or your binning mechanism is flawed (sends the IC to wrong location or incorrectly marks it or whatever). From a practical standpoint this is where I would start..

D

DJ5657

Thanks so much Bev D. The challenge here is that there are some devices that encounters unit failure after QC Testing. But these QC samples are already a tested good units. I am seeing factors in our testing handlers and testers like its set up integrity.

The good thing here is : 65% of encountered QC failures are invalid functional rejects upon isolation.

LUV-d-4UM

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello,
The automotive standard TS16949, does not specify how you should conduct in-process QC testing. You need to define the appropriate QC controls to address all of the identified failure modes and reduce the risk to as low as reasonably possible. If your process is in control PpK 1.67 for example the extent of QC sampling test may be reduced. Hope this helps.

D

DJ5657

Hi Luv d 4um, thank you. But I red the TS16949 and browsed it and it does not require in line QC sampling during class testing of IC devices. Please correct me if I am wrong.

LUV-d-4UM

Quite Involved in Discussions
You are absolutely correct. TS does not tell you how to do things. It tells you that you need to control the process(8.2.3) and Product (8.2.4). Your control plan should define in-line QC sampling during class testing of IC device. If you are shipping to a specific OEM there are customer specific requirements that may require in-line QC sampling during testing of IC device.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Food Contact Materials Declaration of Compliance Inquiry - (EC) 1935/2004 Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 4
B Inquiry for Class II medical device licence amendment application Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
R Customer Complaint/Nonconforming Product Inquiry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
B Inquiry about MEDDEV 2.12/2 rev2 - PMCF studies EU Medical Device Regulations 3
B Inquiry about Canadian Medical Device Licence with different Establishment Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
B Inquiry about IEC 60601-2-10:2012 & IEC 60601-1-11:2010 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
N NIST Special Publications and Technical Notes inquiry General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Site Master File inquiry - Distribution in India EU Medical Device Regulations 6
R Six Sigma / DPMO Related Inquiry - A 6 Sigma related Statistical Sampling question Six Sigma 2
L Customer Inquiry - Graph showing the expansion of oil (mm) at different temperatures Service Industry Specific Topics 5
R Inquiry for License needed when not releasing your self? Pharmaceutical Products Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
Kales Veggie Shop Floor Real Time SPC Inquiry Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
B Partial Joint (Hip Prosthesis) Replacement Class inquiry EU Medical Device Regulations 3
T Inquiry about the number of changes in a document Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
K Inquiry on kinds of document a customer is requiring us to submit? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
Marc FDA begins inquiry on Guidant defibrillator flaw World News 1
K When is Bioburden Testing Required? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
K IEC 62304 - Testing Independance IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
A ANSI/AAMI versions of 60601-1-2 and related testing requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
C Surgical mask stability testing (CE mark) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Beliz Biocompatibility Testing for Laser Epilation Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C One Time Service Supplier - Temperature and Humidity Testing Service ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D IEC 60601-1 - Service life testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
P Flammability Testing of Aircraft Interior Materials Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 0
N Usability testing required for FDA IDE (investigational device exemption)? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 3
E ASTM F2118 - Fatigue testing of bone cement - Changes between the 2003 and the 2014? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
K Biocompatibility Testing - Multile products of different sizes and shapes US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S Requirement to Conduct New Shelf-life Testing? (re-do testing for design change) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
JoCam Mobile Patient Hoists and Electrical Testing Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
T Interlaboratory comparison or proficiency testing in destructive testing of welded joints ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
B ASTM E18-2020 - Rockwell testing standard changes? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
U Medical Device Design finalization testing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Jane's Like-for-like critical raw material change qualification - type of testing/ number of lots required ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J Conflict of Interest Registrar/Notified Body/Testing House Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
M Inter-operator Variability Testing - Requirements for EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S High voltage testing - ISO 17025 - 7.2.2 Validation of methods and 7.3 Sampling ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
M Production approval testing - Alternative ideas for Validation Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
JoCam MDL in Canada without Canadian Electrical Testing Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
T HF testing / Summative evaluation for MDDS class I necessary? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
Kuldeep Singh Diagnostic X-ray devices - Applicability of Biocompatibility Testing per ISO 10993-1 Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
K Proper document of SMPS used in infant warmer for IEC 60601-1 testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
K Sequence of testing in IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
M Workplace Drug Testing in 2020 Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
W ASTM F1929 dye penetration test - Validation for in-house testing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
J FDA wants electrical safety testing on battery powered medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 11
S Internal calibrations - Part of an ISO 17025 accredited testing laboratory (Automotive) ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
T Qualification testing of Lead acid batteries Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
D Sterility and BioBurden Testing for Plastics ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
DitchDigger IEC 60601-1 subclause 5.1 - Adequate evaluation in lieu of testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Correct way to certify hydrostatic testing when it is not 100% (and Sample Size) Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6