Definition Inspect, Review, Verify and Witness - What are the definitions and differences?

H

HBeast33

I am filling out a Quality Plan using a customer's documents. They have asked me to identify our processes as they interact with Quality and indicate if they required inspection, review, verification or witness points. I am having a difficult time determining which to use and if they are mutually excusive. To me inspection is when QA performs an inspection of the goods. Review is when a qualified person inspects the goods and QA reviews the paper work and signs off. Verification is when someone who is qualified does the inspection and QA performs limited inspection and signs off on the entire process. Witness is when a qualified person does the inspection while QA is present, and then QA signs off.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this? Are these terms fully defined somewhere? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: What is in a name? Inspect Review Verify Witness

Not knowing your customer, I can only guess. I have seen cases where a company will try to spell somthing out in as many ways as it can, to ensure all bases are covered. It is also possible that your customer has specific definitions for each thing.

P

Polly Pure Bread

Re: What is in a name? Inspect Review Verify Witness

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it doesn’t mean it’s a duck. Inspection, review, verification or witness has slight distinct purposes.

S

SpongeMouse

Re: What is in a name? Inspect, Review, Verify and Witness

I am filling out a Quality Plan using a customer's documents. They have asked me to identify our processes as they interact with Quality and indicate if they required inspection, review, verification or witness points. I am having a difficult time determining which to use and if they are mutually excusive. To me inspection is when QA performs an inspection of the goods. Review is when a qualified person inspects the goods and QA reviews the paper work and signs off. Verification is when someone who is qualified does the inspection and QA performs limited inspection and signs off on the entire process. Witness is when a qualified person does the inspection while QA is present, and then QA signs off.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this? Are these terms fully defined somewhere? Any help is greatly appreciated.
if the statment is as indicated above (see word in BOLD), this is just an option. meaning, additional information on the witness of inspections is not required.

assuming that it is not, there are companies that usually "overkill" some descriptions and procedure, you can ask them what exactly is the purpose in order for you to me more specific. (and maybe later on, they would realize that they can simplify those things :bonk:)

:notme:

Last edited by a moderator:

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted Information Resource
.... inspection, review, verification or witness points. I am having a difficult time ......
HBeast,

If it is possible for you, I suggest you to seek explanation from the Customer, per se.
Thanks.

H

HBeast33

I solved the problem by defining each of the meanings in the procedure. The requirement from the customer indicates these are distinct definitions and any or all can be performed. This is for NQA-1, which is very similar in writing to ISO, but very different in practice. Where ISO allows a degree of self interpretation to make the system fit the company NQA-1 does not. If it is in the requirement it better be in the procedure/manual.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Does 13485 auditor have a right to inspect non-CE products? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
B Will FDA Inspect a New Coating Supplier for a Class III Combination Medical Device? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
A What to expect if FDA wants to inspect a Class 1 Medical Device Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K Would ANVISA (Brazil) inspect our new manufacturing site? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 12
R How to Inspect the Weld Strength of High Pressure Vessel & Oil Pipe Line Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
W Gage R&R for gage pins used to inspect a hole ID called a Statistical Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
C What's the sampling plan I need to inspect for each lot? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 7
N Symbol for Medical Device Sterile Packaging - "Inspect Seal Before Opening" Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
S Plastic Translucency Inspection - How to inspect plastic for 85% translucency? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
C Building a Dimensional Metrology Laboratory to Inspect various Physical Measurements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
V DIS Inspect software for our CMM Operations - Seeking Contact Information Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
A Is it mandatory to have a profilometer to inspect >16 surface finish? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
O NET-INSPECT is it worth it? Small Machine Shop doing AS9100 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
Q How to Inspect for ESD (Electro-Static Discharge) Damage Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
1 What is the best way to Inspect a Wiring Harness Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
R Thread Inspection - Using go/no-go gaging to inspect threads Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
D How to inspect maximum allowable contaminate Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
L Capability of CMM's - The minimum tolerance in microns a CMM can inspect Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
B How to inspect Mylars to verify dimensions, grid lines and grid points Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 17
B Customer Property - The best way to inspect MLO and what acceptance criteria AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
Frank T. How to inspect the 5 different dimensions using an optical comparator Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
C Information on GD&T Symbols, what they mean, and how to inspect features Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
S How often does the FDA inspect organisations outside of the USA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 12
S A Better Way to Inspect Timed Threads Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
F Number of Parts to Inspect for 95% confidence in meeting 1.33 Cpk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
O Site Audit Process - Team to inspect GSM (Global Services of Mobility) sites General Auditing Discussions 5
B Incoming Metal Coil Inspections - How many do you inspect? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
Z Gage R&R for sorting gage - Leaktester to inspect for leakrates on parts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
C Contract Review with Multiple Line items ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
O ISO 13485 - Is management review required before stage 1? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
G ISO 17025-2017 Management Review reporting items - Inputs ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
I Management review in conformity assessment standards - Certification Bodies Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
D CSV - Periodic Review Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
Q To set frequency to review documents in ISO 9001 7.5? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
S Has anybody done IMS - Management Review Meeting ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
T Management review meeting workflow ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
M What to be careful about/focus on when doing a Technical File review EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Watchcat Anyone had an MDR technical file review/audit yet? EU Medical Device Regulations 13
B Label Review for Class II Device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
A Help with Drawing Review - ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Casana ISO 9001 - 9.3.1 Management Review - Attendees in a flat organization Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
C Management Review Agenda Management Review Meetings and related Processes 20
A Literature review/HACCP validation of metal detection Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
Q Do Management Review records have to be on a controlled form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 30
J ISO 9001:2015 Small Operation Management Review General Auditing Discussions 6
F Process Review - What is the ISO requirement for reviewing SOPs and quality documentation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
N MDR review process by notified body - How many steps exist in the review process EU Medical Device Regulations 0
W ISO 9001:2015 Management Review Input Template wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Informational US FDA paper – Epidemiological Evidence on the Adverse Health Effects Reports in Relation to Mercury from Dental Amalgam: Systematic Literature Review Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational TGA Consultation: Review of the regulation of certain self-testing IVDs in Australia Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0