Inspecting straightness tolerance of .00005" on a shaft

R

rdonkers

Hi everyone, I could use some help with finding a way to inspect a shaft for straightness.
I have a print (which I attached to this thread) that calls out a straightness tolerance of .00005 for 1.35 long section. Right now we are using a .00005 indicator between centers to check this but we need to come up with a gage that is more accurate than the callout. I was thinking maybe a laser of some sort but I haven't had any luck finding what I need. This is an aerospace part if that makes any difference. I don't want us to ship parts without a method that would be adequate to weed the truly good/bad results out.
Thanks everyone in advance-

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Inspecting straightness tolerance of .00005 on a shaft

Before this slides off the front page I'm going to give it a bump, and ask for some training.

I used to live in a precision measurement world, but those days are long behind me. The limits of rational hair splitting was about five ten-thousandths of an inch, or maybe one, back when I split hairs for a living.

What is it now, and how is it achieved ?

Thanks -

D

David DeLong

Wow - still prints like this out there!

I don't believe that it should have stated straightness since the feature's length is so small. I believe it should have been roundness which makes more sense to me.

Since the straightness does not have a diametrical tolerance zone in front of the symbol, theoretically, it means straightness of the surface rather than axis. I would confirm whether it is axis or surface.

To check straightness (either of the axis or surface) you need a 2 point set up perpendicular to the axis preferably towards the end of the feature. See what I mean about the feature's length being too short to be practical. On a cmm, create a axis by contacting around one end and achieve a center and then then do the same on the other end. Theoretically, join the ends and now you have an axis. Contact around the center of the feature to create a center and then see how far it is off the created axis. Good luck.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator

Don't know if this helps, but this reminds me of my submarine days - the main turbine had a "runout" indication as every startup was a bowed-rotor startup and the remote indicator would measure how much the end bearing "wobbled".

Could you get a very flat plate (glass? Metal?) and roll the item on it and detect how much it wobbled away from the plate with a laser?

Project Man

Involved In Discussions

The easiest way to measure the straightness would be on a Comparator or Video Inspection equipment. An air gauge would also be a good consideration

P.S. The call out seems horrible and doubtful that it reflects what they need. I recommend asking them what they are trying to achieve.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics

I think David stated it best.....but a couple of cents, to follow on his comment, the drawing is very incomplete/inaccurate.....I may be nerding out a bit, but studying for GDT and fly specing all that I see....well said David ....

normzone

Yeah, studying GDT is the way to go, and there's plenty of places that are using it. I'm sure it is more precise / practical than the old XYZ world that preceded it. My knowledge of it is sketchy at best, not much call for it in my current incarnation.

That said, while it's the way of the future, there's a lot of legacy stuff from days of yore that exists, and plenty of environments that have not made the step to GDT. And lots of prints with callouts that don't mean what either you or the guy who drew it think it does. Kind of a Princess Bride situation.

Some of the methods suggested above would not even get in the neighborhood of the level of discrimination that the print asks for.

And I have not seen an answer regarding what's possible, and with what tools. Just as well that I don't have to split hairs very often these days.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Inspecting paint and having workable standards in the supply chain Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
T Inspecting Full Thread Depth with a Plug Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
S AS9102 FAI requirements - Inspecting with fixtures, templates AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
P Inspecting a difficult part - Measuring the centre of a hole to the edge of a rod Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
F How to convert inches to degrees - Inspecting the perpendicularity of 2 lines Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
C Inspecting a Profile Tolerance for a Die Cut Gasket Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
A Is Rework "Inspecting Quality In"? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
Q Inspecting Total Runout Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
K Inspecting a Length of Weld - High Reject Rates Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
K Probe on CNC machine - Inspecting on cnc machine tools vs. CMM Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
U Which Sampling Plan should I use? Inspecting & Dimensionally Measuring Products Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
C What to look for when inspecting incoming packaging goods such as empty retail boxes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
J Inspecting Outside Radii of a Small Steel Stamping Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 26
K Inspecting subcontracted manufacturing of garments, wearing apparel Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
ScottK Inspecting surface finish on SS on a piece that can't be measured with current equip. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
A Sampling - Measuring and Inspecting a part with both Variable & Attribute Data Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
D DNV Standards for inspecting offshore containers and baskets Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
Y Inspecting Glued Components - Bubble size - Medical Device Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
Y Inspecting Quality into Product - How to react? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 22
J Inspecting one at a time is quicker? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
Claes Gefvenberg What if the inspector isn't inspecting? NASA inspector indicted Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 26
N Proper use of the Blueing process when inspecting the taper of bushings General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
J Proper use of gauge pins - Inspecting thru holes of plastic parts General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
1 How to measure straightness on a HEX Long Bar Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
N Straightness Gage Tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
S Non-Normal Data - Measurement for "straightness" with a 0.001" max tolerance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 10
B Performing MSA on Straightness of a Cylinder Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
A Device to measure "Straightness & Deformation" of a metal that's under water Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
optomist1 GD&T - Indirect Straightness Control - The Size Dimension on a Feature of Size Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
R Pass Thru Gage for Straightness for a Floor Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
A Gage to Measure Wire Straightness needed Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
J Plastic Rod Straightness Tolerance Standard - 12' Bars of 3/8" Round Acetal Delrin Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
J Print asking for Straightness of 0.013 and it has a note "Any Radial Element" Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
C Measuring Variation in Straightness of Barstock Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B Dimensions and Tolerance Callout - Straightness of shaft - Concentricity Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
P How to Measure Straightness of Small Bars or Tubes (Long Length) Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 30
Proud Liberal Flatness / Straightness / Bow specification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 12
N Drawing tolerance vs. Measurement device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
J Mechanical inspection techniques of close tolerance parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
Proud Liberal Small radius with tight tolerance on a torus General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L GRR for a tolerance that has changed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
T How to justify this High %Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
D Tolerance definition based on expected Cp/cpk Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 14
N % Tolerance - Type 1 study on the gages, then a gage R&R (ANOVA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
S Tolerance limits for micro balance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
J Determining SPC tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 21
Q % Study variation low, % tolerance high - GR&R Interpretation help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
R Uncertainty in measurement larger than tolerance Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
WEAVER Electronic Weighing Scale Calibration Tolerance Manufacturing and Related Processes 1