Inspection Lighting Standard for Class A automotive inspection area

T

Toefuzz - 2006

I did some searching on both the Cove and google and thus far have come up empty... Does anyone know of a general standard for lighting requirements in a class A automotive inspection area? It doesn't necessarily need to be specific to the auto industry, really just any class A type inspection standard. I feel our shop is overlit and am considering changing things around but would like an objective starting point as to where things should be at. My hope is to greatly reduce our energy bill by reducing the number of lights we use and also changing to a more efficient lighting system.

Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Al Rosen

Holed-up in a Hotel in South Florida
Staff member
Super Moderator
NASA-STD-8739.3
December 1997
5. Lighting.
Light intensity shall be a minimum of 1077 lumens per square meter (lm/m2) (100 foot-candles) on the surface where soldered electrical connections are being performed, inspected, or tested. Supplemental lighting may be used to achieve the required lighting levels.

I have a little book entitled “Appearance Inspection of Finished Surfaces” that has some good information and suggestions on proper lighting to achieve different results. The ISBN number for the book is 0-87389-100-7. It used to be available through ASQ but I searched their site and did not find it. I did find it through Amazon though by searching on the ISBN number.

bpritts

Involved - Posts
I will add my endorsement to Badgerman's suggestion of the book by Cleaver, Michels, and Dennis - lots of helpful details. Let me also suggest that some
of the automotive customers have specifics in their standards. The GM paint
standard (GM 4348M) for paint include some specifics on how
painted surfaces are to be checked, including such details as lighting, background, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if other automotives had similar
specs.

Brad

T

Toefuzz - 2006

Thanks for the quick responses everyone! I was fortunate enough to find a used copy of the book Badgerman mentioned on Amazon and it should be here early next week.

After doing a bit of research the consensus seems to be somewhere around 1000 lumens for any 'class a' automotive leve inspection.

A few references in case someone comes across this thread in the future:

***DEAD LINK REMOVED*** - Paint appearance spec from Roush. Includes lighting criteria.

http://personal.cityu.edu.hk/~bsapplec/lighting1.htm - Interesting site by a professor who teaches building environmental science. Includes quite a bit of information detailing how to measure light, what levels of light are required for various ares of a business, etc.

With that said, does anyone know of any references/tools for comparing various methods of lighting a shop (flourescent, incandescent, etc)? My plan is to walk through the plant and document what types of lighting I have, how many of each type, and how long each bulb is on everyday. Hopefully my electrician can tell me what I'm drawing and from that I can calculate cost. Once I have that information I can start looking at alternative methods of lighting our shop to see if there are any real cost savings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Al Rosen

Holed-up in a Hotel in South Florida
Staff member
Super Moderator
Toefuzz said:
After doing a bit of research the consensus seems to be somewhere around 1000 lumens for any 'class a' automotive leve inspection.
Is that /sq meter or sq foot. It's meaningless w/o that info.

Toefuzz said:
With that said, does anyone know of any references/tools for comparing various methods of lighting a shop (flourescent, incandescent, etc)? My plan is to walk through the plant and document what types of lighting I have, how many of each type, and how long each bulb is on everyday. Hopefully my electrician can tell me what I'm drawing and from that I can calculate cost. Once I have that information I can start looking at alternative methods of lighting our shop to see if there are any real cost savings.
Incandescent lighting is about 5% efficient (95% is heat) and fluorescent lighting is 5 times more efficient than incandescent lighting. There are other considerations such as color asa well as the effect that fluorescent lighting has on some people due to the pulsing nature of the light (120/sec).

C

Charles Lloyd

Toefuzz,

Some years ago I did extensive research for the Ford Motor Company to optimize the paint inspection lighting systems they use in their assembly plants. You can find a number of the papers we published on the papers site you can find by Googling "Charles Lloyd" and "Paint Inspection Lighting", and looking under the section titled "Lighting and Visual Inspection." Feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss.

Thank you,

Charles

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C AS9100, ISO Standard Applicable to Lighting for Workstations and Inspection Stations AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
G Lighting Requirements For Inspection - What output is required? Is there a standard? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
A Ford's requirements for Lumens/Lighting for Visual Inspection Customer and Company Specific Requirements 11
C OEE and In-process Inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R AS9100 - 8.4.2 - Receiving Inspection Requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
I Mother bobbin final inspection criteria Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Marc Visual Inspection - Color Vision Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 15
G Inspection Logs - Asked to remove an Inspection Sheet ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Skooma Receiving Inspection - Boss trying to save money AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
T Sample of 1st Article Inspection Report wanted APQP and PPAP 3
T Nonconforming product at customer detected by a routine inspection by field service Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
A Definition of customer in ITP (Inspection & Test Plan) Contract Review Process 3
T Correct MSA study for an automated camera system which makes attribute inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
A DCMA inspection for a drop-shipment AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
S QUALITY OBJECTIVEs for third party garments factory inspection ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Lean and Elimination of QC Inspection Points in a New factory Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
F FDA-registration and inspection cost 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
I Receiving Inspection Requirement in IATF IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R Supplier related drawings and verification of process requirements - Source Inspection AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
D AS9100 Inspection records - Is there a requirement to have gauge ID and calibration status AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
D Good Acceptance Activity/Inspection flowchart for reference - Wanted Please Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 2
K Inspection Certificate EN 10204 2.1 - Distribution company Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
S Improving Quality inspection gate in one piece flow manufacturing process Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
M Loss of a Quality Record - FDA Inspection Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
S Need Assistance in Visual Inspection - Tiny electronic components AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
S. Moore Is an Annual Layout Inspection the same as an Annual Re-validation? Internal Auditing 1
D Incoming (Receiving) Inspection - General form for incoming part inspection Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 17
K First Article Inspection (FAI) - Equipment used - Dimensions vs. Go/No-Go ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Informational USFDA Draft Guidance – Review and Update of Device Establishment Inspection Processes and Standards Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Inspection/sampling economics Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
C Is a First Article Inspection (FAI) Procedure required by ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T EN 10204 3.1 Inspection Certificate - Machine Shop Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
A Doubt on multiple inspection carrying out for same balloon number during Stage Inspection and Final Inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
M 3rd Party Sorting and Inspection Company Certification Service Industry Specific Topics 4
D FDA QSR task checklist based on inspection citations 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
John Predmore What size pinhole can be reliably detected using visual inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
F Holes position inspection - Calculation of centre distance and plug sizes of a gauge Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
V Inspection with 3D Scanning - Reference Data Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
L Inspection Plan for Microscope Objective Lens Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
N Process Flow diagram steps for inspection and packaging APQP and PPAP 4
S Poka Yoke Inspection Retaining Ring (C-Clip) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
J Recommendations on Inspection/SPC Software Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
M FAI AS9102 - What does a First Article Inspection cover? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
C AS9100, Clause 8.5.1.3 - First Article Inspection Costs AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 16
V Receiving Inspection AQL - Am I allowed to just pick a AQL? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
U Whether First Article Inspection Report- FAI is mandatory for regular Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 4
Ron Rompen GR&R on Automated Inspection Cell Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
N ISO 17020 Inspection Bodies - NDE as part of manufacture? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
Z Inspection Form With Pass/Fail Formula Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 11
A Packaging seal inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2