Inspection Logs - Asked to remove an Inspection Sheet

GunLake

Involved In Discussions
Been looking through the manual and I don't see anything, But I'm being asked to remove an Inspection Sheet from a certain job. Is having Inspection Sheets / Logs an ISO9001-2015 requirement?

Basically they sign off every part with serial number after its completed and note if there were any rework done to it.

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

blackholequasar

Involved In Discussions
I imagine your customer would like this information, but whatever records you create/keep are up to your company and not an ISO requirement. The standard just says that you have to control what you create. But there is definitely a risk in not keeping good records, especially with serialized components. What is the purpose of removing the inspection sheet?

GunLake

Involved In Discussions
I imagine your customer would like this information, but whatever records you create/keep are up to your company and not an ISO requirement. The standard just says that you have to control what you create. But there is definitely a risk in not keeping good records, especially with serialized components. What is the purpose of removing the inspection sheet?
They're claiming it's pointless and time consuming to fill it out. I was looking to see if there was a requirement.

My plan is to compromise with them, Rather than 100% of the parts, To limit it to 1st piece, Note any part that has rework, every 50 or so parts and last part. I think there should still be an inspection sheet, But i know if its not an ISO requirement they're going to simply have me get rid of it all together.

blackholequasar

Involved In Discussions
You could argue that 8.5.2 requires them to maintain documented information for traceability. I think there is a lot of value added in tracing things (in the instances of failures, quality issues, non-conformances etc) but I know most manufacturing folks really hate writing things down haha. It's a battle I'm all too familiar with. We used to do 1st, middle, and last piece inspections over the course of a run. Smaller runs were more of a pain, but depending on how much you produce this also could meet your compromise!

hogheavenfarm

Quite Involved in Discussions
In general, I do inspection sheets for any serialized component, and first piece for batched components (these only get a batch number, not a serial number). It has been helpful in the past to trace issues with raw materials and processes to be able to limit warranty work by scoping the product with serial numbers and batches, so I would consider it the 'most helpful' way to go about it. Customer requirements m,ay override this though at times.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Detection rank for sampling vs 100% inspection & 15x vs 400x magnification FMEA and Control Plans 4
S In process inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Brexit 100% inspection during in process inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
briteme4 AS9102 First Article Inspection - do I need a second reviewer and signer? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Max and Min form diameter inspection IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J Incoming Inspection Records using Excel File ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Requirements as a Distributor for Incoming Inspection of Purchased Finished Medical Device Medical Device Related Regulations 0
J Action Not defined in procedure - NC - Incoming inspection AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Annual Inspection Layout - Based on Customer print ? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
I Overwhelmed with attribute MSA requirement for visual inspection IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
K Visual Inspection Effectiveness Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 16
B 4DINSPEC Inspection Equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
A Fabric roll inspection - What type of Control Chart to use? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
B Industrial RX inspection of welds (Oil&Gas industry) Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
C In-process inspection - Tooling and assembly lines for automotive companies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
D FAA inspection at my repair station - Rating Check Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 0
G Supplier delivered recent PPAP, should he deliver yearly layout inspection? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
R Inspection and Work order process Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
M Determining a tolerance value for Measuring devices in-house inspection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
P Need a programmer for QVI's VMS software for optical inspection machine Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
silentmonkey How to decide what characteristics need to be verified during incoming inspection? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Y What are different Special Inspection Level 1-4 and General spesification 1-3 ? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 0
J Mechanical inspection techniques of close tolerance parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
T Help to Suggest name for a new certification and inspection company Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
B GM GP-12 Exit Criteria - Additional Safe Launch Inspection - (Also see GM1927-28 ) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
S Process Inspection -Sub assembly process inspection sheet Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
C OEE and In-process Inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
R AS9100 - 8.4.2 - Receiving Inspection Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
I Mother bobbin final inspection criteria Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Marc Visual Inspection - Color Vision Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 15
Skooma Receiving Inspection - Boss trying to save money AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
T Sample of 1st Article Inspection Report wanted APQP and PPAP 3
T Nonconforming product at customer detected by a routine inspection by field service Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
A Definition of customer in ITP (Inspection & Test Plan) Contract Review Process 3
T Correct MSA study for an automated camera system which makes attribute inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
A DCMA inspection for a drop-shipment AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S QUALITY OBJECTIVEs for third party garments factory inspection ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Lean and Elimination of QC Inspection Points in a New factory Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
F FDA-registration and inspection cost 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
I Receiving Inspection Requirement in IATF IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R Supplier related drawings and verification of process requirements - Source Inspection AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D AS9100 Inspection records - Is there a requirement to have gauge ID and calibration status AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Good Acceptance Activity/Inspection flowchart for reference - Wanted Please Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 2
K Inspection Certificate EN 10204 2.1 - Distribution company Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
S Improving Quality inspection gate in one piece flow manufacturing process Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
M Loss of a Quality Record - FDA Inspection Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
S Need Assistance in Visual Inspection - Tiny electronic components AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
S Is an Annual Layout Inspection the same as an Annual Re-validation? Internal Auditing 1
D Incoming (Receiving) Inspection - General form for incoming part inspection Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 17
K First Article Inspection (FAI) - Equipment used - Dimensions vs. Go/No-Go ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7