SBS - The best value in QMS software

Inspection/sampling economics

S

stm08007

Hello!

I'm studying for the CQE and I've come across something else in the primer that isn't quite clicking. See the first equation in the attached picture.

I don't really understand the difference between variables B and C and then how they logically fit in the equation-

Cost per sampling* max samples makes sense, but why then would you add to it "cost per inspection unit* average samples"?

So if you had 30 samples from a 500 PC lot and it costed $1 to inspect each one, I see why you would multiple 30*$1, but why would you add something else to it? And in this case what would you add?

My picture is not attaching so the formula given is:
Total Cost= overhead cost + ('cost/unit of sampling' * max sample size) + ('cost/unit of inspecting' * average samples size)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

GRP

Involved In Discussions
Hello!

I'm studying for the CQE and I've come across something else in the primer that isn't quite clicking. See the first equation in the attached picture.

I don't really understand the difference between variables B and C and then how they logically fit in the equation-

Cost per sampling* max samples makes sense, but why then would you add to it "cost per inspection unit* average samples"?

So if you had 30 samples from a 500 PC lot and it costed $1 to inspect each one, I see why you would multiple 30*$1, but why would you add something else to it? And in this case what would you add?

My picture is not attaching so the formula given is:
Total Cost= overhead cost + ('cost/unit of sampling' * max sample size) + ('cost/unit of inspecting' * average samples size)
Does the inspection "consume" the part? Is it possible you are unable to sell it due to the inspection?

If applied to destructive tests it makes sense to consider the cost of inspection plus the cost of the part.

S

stm08007

Does the inspection "consume" the part? Is it possible you are unable to sell it due to the inspection?

If applied to destructive tests it makes sense to consider the cost of inspection plus the cost of the part.
That was what I was thinking it had to mean, but it is definitely not clear.. so :
"Cost/unit of sampling" = physical price of the part which you no longer can sell
"Cost/unit of inspection" = labor aspect of actually testing the part?

I think those terms can be interchanged as well-- which one makes sense to multiply by the max expected sample size vs. the mean sample size

John Predmore

Trusted Information Resource
I can imagine a scenario where the cost to collect and prepare a sample is significant. For example, the cost of a metallurgical sample - the sample must be mounted, sectioned, and polished, which takes a half an hour. If you were looking for an internal defect of low frequency, like an occlusion perhaps, you might section a handful of parts before you get lucky and find one defect in the plane of the saw cut. The cost of looking at one part under a microscope would be trivial compared to the destruction of many potential samples. In the total cost equation, the distinction between multipliers of max sample size versus average sample size may imply you collect more samples than you inspect, on average.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B ISO 3951 - Sampling procedure for Inspection by Variables Data AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 11
N In-Process Inspection Sampling Quantity ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
G Sampling Plan for Inspection of Metal Parts after CNC Machining Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 34
P Lot Acceptance Plan that specifies BS 6001 Double Sampling Plans, general inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
N Switch to 100% inspection when lot fails sampling? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
C Incoming Inspection Acceptance Sampling by Variables and Minitab Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
V Sampling Plan for Final Inspection and Process Verification Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 21
M Sampling Inspection at QA - Inputs on the following sampling plan Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
J Dodges 1943 paper on A Sampling Inspection Plan for Continuous Production Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
R Sampling Plan for Wafer Inspection (Small Lot) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
J Rejection during Sampling Inspection (Outgoing Quality Assurance) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
P Random Sampling at Receiving Inspection: A Practical Implementation needed Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
G Is Controlled Shipping requirement Sampling Based or 100% Inspection? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
A ANSI/ASQ Z1.4 tables for C=0 - Setting up a robust Sampling Inspection Scheme Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
Q Inspection Methods and Plans - Forgetting to Switch Sampling Levels Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M Welding Inspection Sampling - How to do? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
Q How to move from Supplier First Article to Sampling Inspection Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
G Attribute Data Inspection Sampling Matrix Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
J Incoming Inspection AQL Sampling of Bulk Textiles AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
Q SMT Final Inspection Sampling Plan for boards off an SMT line Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
N AQL - Sampling plan (variable, inspection level ii, normal inspection S-method) AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 2
A Random Sampling for in-process inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
P Mathematical probabilities (Sampling Inspection) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
V C=0 vs. ANSI/ASQC Z1.4 - Part Inspection Sampling Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
A Combining Lots under ANSI/ASQC Z1.4 Inspection Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
V Can give me the sampling plan for Receiving and Final inspection - AS9100? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
M Acceptance sampling inspection plan compliant to Boeing X31764 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
S Sampling plan for Inspection by Variables (high volume production) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
D Is First Article Inspection considered "Sampling"? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
H Incoming Inspection Sampling Plan ISO 2859-1/ ISO 2859-2 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
C Acceptance Sampling is Better Than 100% Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
J Demonstrate Receiving Inspection Sampling Method is Statistically Adequate Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
T Acceptable AS9100 Receiving Inspection Sampling Plan - ANSI/ASQCZ1.4 vs. Mil-STD-105E Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
D Mil-Std-1916 Inspection Sampling question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
R Need to set up sampling plans in Receiving Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
T ISO 2859-3 - Skip-lot sampling procedures - Unauthorized Inspection Frequency Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
J Reducing Inspection Costs - Sampling Plans and Producer's Risk Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
S Using AQL to get true random sampling using General Inspection Level II AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
C Sampling Inspection Plan - Cell phone distributor offering programming services Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
S Sampling Plans - Inspection Levels I, II, III - I'm looking at ANSI/ASQ Z1.4-2003 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 20
J How are the inspection processes and sampling plan determined? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
M Dodge-Romig Sampling Inspection Tables - Seeking (possibly in Excel .xls?) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
D Need to purchase ANSI/ASQ Z1.4 & 1.9 - Sampling Procedures and Tables - Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Marc MIL-STD-1916 "Acceptance on Zero (AOZ) Sampling Inspection" Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
J Incoming Inspection Records using Excel File ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Requirements as a Distributor for Incoming Inspection of Purchased Finished Medical Device Medical Device Related Regulations 0
J Action Not defined in procedure - NC - Incoming inspection AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Annual Inspection Layout - Based on Customer print ? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
I Overwhelmed with attribute MSA requirement for visual inspection IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
K Visual Inspection Effectiveness Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 16