SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Instructions for use for Class I devices under MDR

JP12345

Starting to get Involved
Hello!

As we are working our way through the GSPR’s for our class I devices I have a couple of questions we are struggling to find the answers to and I wondering if anybody can help or share their way of addressing the following:

1. Where a class I device doesn’t have any instructions for use as it can be used safely without instructions (ref GSPR 23.1(d)) how can we satisfy GSPR 14.7 which requires disposal of waste procedures to be added to the instructions for use? Does this mean that all devices must have an instructions for use?
  2. Where instructions for use are deemed necessary for our class I devices, is it acceptable to point to the waste disposal instructions on the MSDS for that product in the instructions for use? How are others dealing with this?
Thank you!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Loekje

Starting to get Involved
Hi JP,

The most formal answer I have heard is: "If your product needs instructions how to dispose of it after usage then it cannot be safely used without instructions. I.E. 23.1.(d) is not valid then."

We have struggled with something similar, as it is not the IFU per se that is bothersome, but rather the requirement to have it available in every local language where you want to put it on the market. Translation costs are sometimes prohibitive.
So 23.1(d) will free you of that obligation as well. (Annex II, 2 second dash IIRR)

We make medical electrical devices, so putting the mandatory crossed wheely bin logo on the label is usually enough to comply to 14.7. Maybe that will work for you as well?
To circumvent the IFU requirement we too sometimes follow "the datasheet route" in which we do not give instructions for cleaning but rather state that the material is damp cloth and mild detergent resistant...

I guess it boils down to how important the waste disposal of your product is.

My 2 cents worth.
Regards,
Loek

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M User manual / instructions for use for class II device always required? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
N Updating class I device IFU with instructions to use class II cleared device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
J Instructions for Use - Class II Rx Device which is used in Hospitals Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
Q Training Matrix - Job Class vs. Process Instructions - ISO 13485 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
S Instructions for use multiple manufacturing locations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
T Different Formats for SOPs/Work Instructions? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
dgrainger Informational EC - Medical devices – online manuals replacing paper instructions - Feedback period: 27 April 2021 - 25 May 2021 EU Medical Device Regulations 0
D FDA Information - Revising the Instructions for Use US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
T ISO 13485 - Assembly instructions written vs. online ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
U Intended Users in IFU (Instructions for Use) EU Medical Device Regulations 5
was named killer AS 9100D - Calibration Instructions - Controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
K EU MDR Annex 1 Chapter III: Information in the Instructions for Use-23.4 (e) the performance characteristics of the device; EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Documentation structure - Do I need Work Instructions? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 23
C Work Instructions; Controlled/Uncontrolled? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
L MDR - Information in the instructions for use - clausole 23.4.(z) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S ISO 18223-2 Temperature symbol in the Legend table in the Instructions for Use Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
S Providing IFU (Instructions for Use) in multiple languages EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Informational The USFDA Continues to Remind Facilities of the Importance of Following Duodenoscope Reprocessing Instructions: FDA Safety Communication Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Z IFU (Instructions for Use) Symbol - 7010:M002 - can it be in black? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
I Document levels and approval requirements for lower level documents like work instructions, forms etc. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
N Electronic Instructions for use (eIFU) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Marc Elsmar Xenforo Software Instructions #2 - 9/2018 Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
Marc Elsmar Xenforo Software Instructions #1 - 9/2018 Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
M Batch record supersedes all other instructions 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
H SPC Work Instructions (WI) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
S Are 2 Hard Copies of Procedures and Instructions Required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
K IATF 16949 Cl. 8.5.1.2 - Requirements of Work Instructions and Documents IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J Work Instructions - We have approx 1,000 work instructions from over the years Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
Ajit Basrur Incoming Inspection for Instructions for Use (IFU) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T Product Instructions (IFU) - Placement Requirements - ISO 13485:2003/2016 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
C Manufacturing Process Work Instructions - Format Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
D 207/2012 Update for MDR (?) - Instructions for Use (IFU) EU Medical Device Regulations 9
R How to Control Videos as part of the QMS Documented Procedures and Instructions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D eQMS/ERP System Admin Work Instructions - Where do they fit? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
R ISO 50001 - Manual and instructions Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 8
C Following Order of Work Instructions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 23
M CAPA due to Consumer not following Maintenance Instructions... Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
V Suggest Packing Instructions for Electrical Control panel Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Q Allowed no manuals, technical instructions traceability in products ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
C Video Screencasts for Work Instructions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Process Changes, but Work Instructions/Process Maps are not updated ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
O Regulatory Notification for IVD IFU Instructions Revision ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Q Help sections in Software Programs as Work Instructions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Should we have Work Instructions for HR or not Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M Who should write Departmental Work Instructions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
S Informational Please help this newbie understand ISO 9001 Work Instructions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 44
T Work Instructions for Assembly vs. Disassembly Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
S Do Work Instructions have to be in harmony with the related Control Plan? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q ISO 9001 Requirement(s) for the Review of Work Instructions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
M AS9100C Document Control for Machine Set Up Work Instructions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4