Instruments that have to be documented in Control Plans

O

omolina

Hi. I need some advice. I'm confused about the instruments we have to document in a control plan. I suppose that at least they are the ones we use to measure some characteristic of our product, but what about the ones that we use to control our process. I will promptly accept to calibrate both groups, but doing R & R studies on them is another issue. The problem shows up because of clause number 4.11.4
This requirement shall apply to measurement systems referenced in the Control Plan.
If we have to document all the instruments we use to control our process R & R studies will be endless. What are the arguments for not doing that ?

Thanks...

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Al Dyer

There is no argument for not doing an R&R study. How could you possibly ensure that your product meets specifications unless you have accurate gaging. And not only R&R, but Bias, Linearity, and stability?>???

If your looking for a way out I'm sure you can find it, but isn't the reason we are in this business to make sure things are done right!

Sounds to me like your company is trying to circumvent some basic principles!

With Respect,

O

omolina

Al:
Thank you for your comments, but I think I was missunderstood. Lets analyze the following examples:

1) I have in my process a manometer used to set up the operating presure of some vessel.

2) I have in my process a termocouple to measure the temperatue which a reaction takes place

None of them is used to measure product characteristics. They are measured used other instruments.

Am I statutory obligated to do R & R, bias, etc on these instruments ?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
If the temperature is critical to the process, it will be on your process FMEA. If it is not it won't be. If your process FMEA includes a process monitoring gage, it will probably be on the control plan because it's critical to the process. If it's on the control plan it is treated as any other gage. I would expect some type of MSA study - it may not be an R&R - to validate it.

Remember that an R&R is not the only measurement study one can do and often on process gages they're not an appropriate measurement system study. There are not multiple operators (one of the "R's" in R&R) taking sequential, discrete measurements per se. It's typically a constant measurement type situation. Example - a process is temperature critical so you have a thermocouple in place. It is constantly measuring. You may even record results constantly on tape (well, data in these days) or you may even have a system where a computer reads the temp every x seconds or minutes. You have to look at each situation and determine the appropriate type of measurement study (or studies) which best suits the specifics of the situation.

And don't forget - it's measurement system analysis so if you have a thermocouple 'gage' and a computer is recording readings from it every x seconds or minutes, your study has to address the system as a whole - not just individual parts.

I would really like to hear from some others on this. I can remember back only 8 to 10 years ago I rarely saw a process monitoring gage (even a 'critical' one) even calibrated, much less any type of measurement study performed on it. QS 9000 had a lot to do with bringing the issue of process gages into the light, so to speak.

A

Al Dyer

Let me try this example:

I have a laser gage that measures and adjusts the orientation of 2 tool holders. We need this to ensure that only good product goes to the next process which will mill down the part to its specification.

Although the laser gage is not measuring the product, it is affecting the process and could cause defective product, crashes, unscheduled maintenance, etc...

Therefore, we do some type of MSA on the laser gage.

At the very least we do a gage R&R on every new gage that passes through the doors.:)

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Please, please, please.... Remember what R&R standands for and the original intent was to do R&Rs with the operators who would actually use them. The reason is that if, for example, a cal lab is responsible for checking gages when they arrive (in many companies only the Calibration Manager or equivalent can even order a gage, not to mention responsiblilty for getting it checked and into the system). S/he has a few lab techs do an R&R. The bias introduced by the lab people (being 'more attuned to gages and what they're all about) will typically differ - sometimes substancially - from what would be obtained using the actual operators. This is why statements such as:
> At the very least we do a gage R&R on every new gage that
> passes through the doors.
scare me. Many times I have seen the calibration people do the R&R in the lab, come up with a great number, but when it reaches the floor the problems start. I have even seen complex gages checked in the lab and sent to the floor without training for those who have to use it.

Lastly, remember that you cannot do an R&R on most process gages because they 'become part of the process machine' so to speak. An R&R needs multiple people. As I understand it. :thedeal:

A

Al Dyer

Just as an aside Marc, I would never use "Lab" or "Quality" people to do an R&R study. Random operators from the floor in this case because operators are rotated between processes.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Unless the lab or quality people are the people who are going to be the folks who will be using the gage / instrument / device (whatever).... :ca:

O

omolina

Thanks to all of you!. Now I get the whole picture.
I apreciate your comments. It's time to work.....

O. MOLINA

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z MDR Class Ir deadline (Reusable surgical instruments) EU Medical Device Regulations 27
Z Labeling for Medical Device Samples - Surgical instruments 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
B ISO 11607-1 for surgical instruments sterilized by end user Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
A CE mark - Measuring Instruments Directive confusion! CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
Fernando Drumond Calibration and Control of Plastic Volumetric Measurement Instruments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
E Cleaning Validation Process of Non-Sterile Implants and Instruments Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
N Strength verification of surgical instruments ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
A Pharmaceutical Manufacturer's obligations - Laboratory Test instruments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
Marc NIST’s Trove of Scientific Instruments and Relics After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
C Class I Reusable Surgical Instruments - CE Mark with the Notified Body number EU Medical Device Regulations 14
M Identification of Glass Instruments and Measurement Devices General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
V Why Gauge R&R 10% is acceptable for variable instruments ? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
J Is it sufficient to send in my instruments for calibration every second year? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Q CE Class I Medical Devices (Instruments) - Germany Registrations CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Ron Rompen MSA Studies of Instruments in a Paint Shop Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M Analytical Test Instruments Used in V&V Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
T Standards for defining audible alarms/warnings for OR instruments IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Chennaiite Instruments used in Auto industry on which engraving is strictly prohibited? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
X Is in vitro diagnostic instruments not needed to be registered in India ? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
M Effect of Boil Test on Passivated SS Medical Instruments Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
S Class I Device - Reusable Instruments labeling requirements Imported Legacy Blogs 2
S Brazilian Standard Compliance for Writing Instruments - Inmetro RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
G Directive 2004/108/EC & EU Directive 2006/95/EC - IVD Instruments Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
K Regulations for sending Veterinary Surgical Instruments to Qatar Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
J Device Registration and Listing - Separate for Device and corresponding Instruments? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
N Reusable Surgical Instruments - Definition per Annex IX of Directive 93/42/EEC EU Medical Device Regulations 5
N Is there a standard which states how often instruments should be calibrated? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 12
J Sterilisation Validation of Re-Usable Hospital Instruments ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B Laser Weld Strength - Laser Welding Medical Instruments Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 8
somashekar Label Details and Contents for Reusable Surgical Instruments EU Medical Device Regulations 7
T FDA Single Use Instruments - Classification Help Needed 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Excel Spreadsheet Validation for Calculating Data coming from our Instruments (LIMS) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
I Do Research Laboratory Instruments fall under the MDD and IVD Directives EU Medical Device Regulations 3
W Validation Suppliers in Mainland China - Pharmaceutical Laboratory Instruments Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
M Are family type of GR&R acceptable in situations where you have a lot of instruments? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
I Stainless Steel 17-4 PH used in Surgical Instruments Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
S Clarification on USe by date and EC Rep address on IVD INSTRUMENTS!! EU Medical Device Regulations 1
E Precision Instruments Calibration Instructions General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
P 7.6.3 Internal or External Laboratory? Measuring instruments used in production IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
D Control of Measuring and Monitoring Instruments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
Q Focused CAPA on Calibration - Out of Calibration Instruments used! General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
R Help on Surveillance audit - some instruments going faulty! General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
somashekar Calibration interval (Clause 7.6 ISO 13485:2003) - Biomedical test instruments ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
G Should Serial # of all Measurement Instruments (Calipers,etc) be in Control Plans? FMEA and Control Plans 7
Marc CMM Quarterly - The making of musical instruments Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 0
R CE Marking for Research Instruments - Small Company - Class II Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
T Determining which instruments require calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 18
H Reference Calibrator for Online Process Instruments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
H Temperature Control in a Laboratory with CMM and other delicate instruments IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
S How to Set Acceptable Calibration Limits for Measurement Instruments? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11