Instruments used in Auto industry on which engraving is strictly prohibited?

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted Information Resource
Is there some Instruments used in Auto industry on which engraving is strictly prohibited?
Thanks in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Staff member
Admin
What do you mean by "instruments" in this context? Inspection and measurement equipment?

dgriffith

Quite Involved in Discussions
Off-hand, I'm not sure engraving is really necessary. In aerospace, where there is a possibility of ingestion or being lost in a critical area where catastrophic failure would require tool identification, engraving makes sense as it can't easily be removed (as we did in the AF, etc.), fall off, burn off, etc.
But on an assembly line? They make paint sticks, even acid etching would work if you're worried that the vibration from the engraver would affect the tool.

Now, how about laser engraving? Works great if you have one, and no impact to the tool. The ID alpha-numeric can be made quite small in out-of-the-way locations and be perfectly legible.

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Has someone suggested it is? It helps to know where a question like this comes from...
Our Organization, a Vehicle Manufacturing Plant, is in a nascent stage (just-constructed type) and have the facilities getting installed thick and fast. Respective teams have ordered Instruments and Gauges for their requirement which we are yet to receive. With instrument count expected to be in hundreds and quite a few in multiples of same type, we were discussing about engraving as an usual practice of identifying them. Engraving effect is just an inquisitive or perhaps a proactive thought raised during the discussion.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Our Organization, a Vehicle Manufacturing Plant, is in a nascent stage (just-constructed type) and have the facilities getting installed thick and fast. Respective teams have ordered Instruments and Gauges for their requirement which we are yet to receive. With instrument count expected to be in hundreds and quite a few in multiples of same type, we were discussing about engraving as an usual practice of identifying them. Engraving effect is just an inquisitive or perhaps a proactive thought raised during the discussion.
I don't see why anyone would object to engraving as a way of identifying measuring devices. I can't imagine what form an objection would take.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
labeling, engraving or marking of some sort, serial numbers, location references, hard wiring gages to the respective benches...there are many options.

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
I don't see why anyone would object to engraving as a way of identifying measuring devices. I can't imagine what form an objection would take.
Like I said it's more an inquisitive thought than an outright objection. Since these are new instruments, how much sensitive they are to get influenced by whatever small vibration that engraving causes.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Analytical Test Instruments Used in V&V Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
I Stainless Steel 17-4 PH used in Surgical Instruments Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
P 7.6.3 Internal or External Laboratory? Measuring instruments used in production IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
Q Focused CAPA on Calibration - Out of Calibration Instruments used! General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S Requirements for Certificate of Destruction for Surgical Instruments Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Classification of Instruments under EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C Non-sterile reusable surgical instruments - FDA sterilization requirement Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
B ISO 6508 and portable hardness measurement instruments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
C Monitoring and Control Instruments RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
R CND nomenclature for single use instruments CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Z MDR Class Ir deadline (Reusable surgical instruments) EU Medical Device Regulations 27
Z Labeling for Medical Device Samples - Surgical instruments 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
B ISO 11607-1 for surgical instruments sterilized by end user Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
A CE mark - Measuring Instruments Directive confusion! CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
Fernando Drumond Calibration and Control of Plastic Volumetric Measurement Instruments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
E Cleaning Validation Process of Non-Sterile Implants and Instruments Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
N Strength verification of surgical instruments ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
A Pharmaceutical Manufacturer's obligations - Laboratory Test instruments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
Marc NIST’s Trove of Scientific Instruments and Relics After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
C Class I Reusable Surgical Instruments - CE Mark with the Notified Body number EU Medical Device Regulations 14
M Identification of Glass Instruments and Measurement Devices General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
V Why Gauge R&R 10% is acceptable for variable instruments ? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
J Is it sufficient to send in my instruments for calibration every second year? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Q CE Class I Medical Devices (Instruments) - Germany Registrations CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Ron Rompen MSA Studies of Instruments in a Paint Shop Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
T Standards for defining audible alarms/warnings for OR instruments IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
X Is in vitro diagnostic instruments not needed to be registered in India ? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
M Effect of Boil Test on Passivated SS Medical Instruments Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
S Class I Device - Reusable Instruments labeling requirements Imported Legacy Blogs 2
S Brazilian Standard Compliance for Writing Instruments - Inmetro RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
G Directive 2004/108/EC & EU Directive 2006/95/EC - IVD Instruments Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
K Regulations for sending Veterinary Surgical Instruments to Qatar Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
J Device Registration and Listing - Separate for Device and corresponding Instruments? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
N Reusable Surgical Instruments - Definition per Annex IX of Directive 93/42/EEC EU Medical Device Regulations 5
N Is there a standard which states how often instruments should be calibrated? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 12
J Sterilisation Validation of Re-Usable Hospital Instruments ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B Laser Weld Strength - Laser Welding Medical Instruments Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 8
somashekar Label Details and Contents for Reusable Surgical Instruments EU Medical Device Regulations 7
T FDA Single Use Instruments - Classification Help Needed 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Excel Spreadsheet Validation for Calculating Data coming from our Instruments (LIMS) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
I Do Research Laboratory Instruments fall under the MDD and IVD Directives EU Medical Device Regulations 3
W Validation Suppliers in Mainland China - Pharmaceutical Laboratory Instruments Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
M Are family type of GR&R acceptable in situations where you have a lot of instruments? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
S Clarification on USe by date and EC Rep address on IVD INSTRUMENTS!! EU Medical Device Regulations 1
E Precision Instruments Calibration Instructions General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
D Control of Measuring and Monitoring Instruments General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
R Help on Surveillance audit - some instruments going faulty! General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
somashekar Calibration interval (Clause 7.6 ISO 13485:2003) - Biomedical test instruments ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
G Should Serial # of all Measurement Instruments (Calipers,etc) be in Control Plans? FMEA and Control Plans 7
Marc CMM Quarterly - The making of musical instruments Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 0