SBS - The best value in QMS software

Insulation Barrier Testing - According IEC 60601-1

N

nikolaos

Hello All,
According IEC 60601-1, testing an insulation barrier, both dielectric and spacing requirements are necessary or it is enough only the dielectric high voltage test? Is there any current limit during the dielectric high voltage test?
Thank you

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
Hi, just a quick answer cause i´m offline for some days: you need both spacing and dielectric strenght.

And there´s no current limit for the dielectric test in IEC 60601.

Peter Selvey

Staff member
Dielectric strength and spacings are different requirements.

Dielectric strength is an ageing test for solid insulation, such as on wiring, in transformers and optocouplers.

Spacings are for two other reasons: one (clearance) for short term spikes in the order of 1000-3000V that occasionally appear on the mains, the other (creepage) is to have enough space to protect against long term dust/pollution accumulation.

So you really need to assess all three separately.

Current limit for dielectric strength: IEC 60601-1 does not specify a current limit for the HV tester, however other standards specify 100mA. This high current is theoretically important due to the effect of partial breakdown, but in practice modern insulating materials have dielectric strength well above the needs so it rarely has an impact.

Otherwise, because of EMC capacitors, you may need a HV current capacity of around 5mA.

The current pulled during a HV test is about 6 times the "neutral open" earth leakage current, e.g. if your equipment has 300uA @ 264V earth leakage in SFC (neutral open), you will see ~1.8mA leakage in the basic insulation test (@ 1,500V). It's a nice confirmation of your test set up to confirm this value. Double insulation test current is usually much lower (if not, something is wrong with your set up).

Yoroshiku,
(= regards in Japanese)
Peter

N

nikolaos

Thank you for all these information, indeed very clear and precise. Actually I have a discussion with an Italian Notify Body about Insulation Barrier Testing. I agree that both electrical (dielectric HV test) and mechanical (C&C) are both necessary to check the insulation, but the NB insist telling me that only dielectric test with 8mA of leakage current is enough. According them C&C check is not necessary. I work as a project engineer for a Medical manufacturing company and it is very useful for me to know what you think about this item, so any other opinions are very valuable.
Regards
Nikolaos

Marcelo

It´s weird that your NB aasks only for dielectric strenght, and weirder that they put a limit on the current for the dielectric strenght as the standards does not have that (it does not have a current limit but it defines how a test can fail by defining what is insulation breakdown).

Anyway, there´s a difference between what a standard requires and what a regulation requires. You are not required to comply with IEC 60601, although it´s desirable, and maybe that is the position of your NB. But keep in mind that, the way they´re are asking you, you are NOT in compliance with the standard, and may be at risk of having ptoblems in other places which have a more strict view on standards.

N

nikolaos

OK, but I asked to test according 60601-1. In the report is clearly written that they followed the testing procedure according 60601.1(1998). More, I found no isolation diagram in the report.

M

Martin IT

The compliance with the IEC 60601-1 is not mandatory but highly recommended. In my opinion the suggestion of the NB should be taken into serious consideration.

I've got the same problem ( I'ma a project engineer and I work with an Italian Notify Body ), and at the moment we perform only dielectric test with 8mA of leakage current.

Let me know the way you will forward!

Marcelo

Okay, so thst might be an interpretation problem. Well, i think you might just do what your NB says you should do, but again keep in mind that you might run into trouble later.

M

Martin IT

Hi Marcello,

What is your opinion? Do you think there might be problems in case
the product is sold in other countries?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Insulation diagram for ECG monitoring and diagnosis system. IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
R IEC 60601-1 - Magnesium oxide used for the electrical insulation of heating elements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
K Doubt on insulation class of a device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
W Insulation requirements of BF type infant skin temperature probe IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
M 2xMOPP insulation for Applied Part B. IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
Q Isolation/Insulation Diagrams - IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
V PCB internal insulation treated as insulation formed by insulating compound IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
W HF surgery device accessory insulation requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
E Creepage distance accross insulation of step up transformer EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Who compiles the Critical Component List, Insulation Diagram etc.? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
P Question on Table 6 "Test voltages for solid insulation forming a MEANS OF PROTECTION IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
P MOOP and insulation coordination IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
K IEC60601 3rd Edition Insulation Thickness for electrosurgical devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
N Cable Connectors - Insulation does not go all the way into the back of the connector Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
A Insulation between Secondary Accessible Parts and Earth IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
P IEC 60601-1-11 - Conversion to Double Insulation IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
R Is insulation between F type applied part and other parts a must? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
N Insulation Diagram for Water Tub IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
W Is anybody familiar with IEC61010-1 Insulation Requirements? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
V External power supply with reinforced insulation as a simple secondary circuit? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
W Insulation requirements between F-type applied part and enclosure IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
P Understanding IEC 60601-1:2005, Clause 8.1 b) - Short Circuiting Double Insulation IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 13
R Determining Working Voltage - Drawing a Medical Device Insulation Diagram IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
W Insulation Grade for In Vitro Diagnostic (IVD) Device? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
S Do insulation layers in double insulation have sequence requirement? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
S Can enclosure of semiconductor or electrolytic capacitor provides basic insulation? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
T Insulation diagram for a medical electrical equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
H Insulation of FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) Tanks Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B Control Chart - Minimum point & average insulation thickness for Automotive Wires Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
A Medical device with NON medical PC - USB galvanic insulation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
K Sterile barrier system symbols - Label redlines for a Class III device (Kit Box) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K ISO 15223-1 Sterile barrier system - The 3-layer symbol EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Barrier cream classification EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M GSPR 23.3 (h) Manufacturing date on sterile barrier EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Barrier Free vs. Wheelchair Accessible - Differences Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 1
O F-typed isolated barrier of medical electrical equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
V Language is not a barrier if you know the "thing/subject" and "art of communicating" Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
A Minimum Testing Requirements for a Clear Protective Equipment Barrier (Class II 510K) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
D Packaging Addition - Non-sterile barrier to protect the whole package 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 12
F Sterile Barrier Package (Tyvek Pouch) Validation Question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
M Split labels? Split label approach on the sterile barrier packaging ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Sterile Barrier System (SBS) Testing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
J Biocompatbility testing on Class 1 device requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
Q Summative Usability Evaluation Testing: prior or during Clinical Investigation? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 5
B NIOSH Approval for Surgical N95 Respirators - Required testing US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M ECG lead leakage currents - How to specify ECG leads during electrical safety testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
C Stress / Challenge Conditions for Design Verification Testing to Reduce Sample Size 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
D CFR Title 14: Aeronautics and Space PART 120—DRUG AND ALCOHOL TESTING PROGRAM Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
lanley liao Purchase Acceptance Criteria - Tensile testing Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
M Device mounted at IV pole - what about mechanical stability testing? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2