Integrated QMS and audit

Moncia

Quite Involved in Discussions
Good morning

I have two questions please. I took over existing QMS which supposed to be integrated - but I do see very little of that. The current system consist of ISO 9001 for two locations and ISO 14001 for one ( we will run gap analysis soon to see if we can incorporate our Manchester site under the scope of our ISO 14001) So as you can see its becoming complex system . Can you please advise, share good ideas / practice how to properly integrate these two. We are in the process of implementing another standard - ISO 50001. But I need to review and revise what we have before I start adding new standard on top of it
Talking about ISO 9001 with 14001 and 50001 - does anyone have experience with integrating all three? Any advice will be greatly appreciated as I am not sure what I'm doing :(
Second part of my question - is there an integrated third party audit?
I sat at the surveillance audits for our ISO 9001 for two locations and 14001 - they are all split and separate even thought it is the same registrar. What surprised me was three different auditors looked at exactly the same documents during first parts of their respective audits - wasting 1.5 days. Seriously they all started from the same generic docs. so my question is - as we have an integrated QMS - is there an integrated audit option we can request. I think its a waste of everybody's time going over and over the same documents three times
Please advice

Thank you

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
is there an integrated audit option we can request. I think its a waste of everybody's time going over and over the same documents three times
Yep, and if your current registrar can't do it change registrar's because from your statements they seem to either be incapable or they might be billing you for work in a fashion that doesn't have to be done. Everything you're asking has been in play for over 2 decades and effectively done, it ain't new, it's not unusual and I've already done over half a dozen integrated 3rd party audits this year and I'm doing one this week (maybe not to 50001).

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Hello, Moncia,

The approach of a gap analysis is a good one paired up with the understanding of how the standards overlap. There are common elements between them, so if there is a gap with one standard, there may also be a gap with another.

When we integrated multiple management system standards in a previous position, we found it easier to create a structure based on our own Business Management System (BMS). Our foundations were in Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA) and we created a matrix showing how each standard fit into the PDSA cycle (sometimes, this meant pulling a section of a standard apart, so part of it was in S with another part in A. However, this was our system and we challenged every external auditor to tell us we were wrong - none did.

When it came to procedures, we created common procedures wherever possible. If there were exceptions, specific to a particular standard, we made a note of that in our procedure. Work instructions contained relevant information for all standards that were a part of our BMS.

We also used common "tools" - one document control system, one internal audit system, one corrective action system, etc. This not only helped us gather data into common repositories allowing for "big data analysis," it also helped create a culture that this was OUR system. We didn't do things for ISO XXXX, we made ISO XXXX work for us.

As for external audits, we did eventually integrate them as our integration matured. Early on, we kept them separate, while ensuring our external auditors stayed within their respective scope.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
I suggest you contact your cert provider on this. We once had a 9001 and 13485 system that were separate except the document control and change process was shared. Our 9001 body rejected that and forced us to keep them separate.

Moncia

Quite Involved in Discussions
Yep, and if your current registrar can't do it change registrar's because from your statements they seem to either be incapable or they might be billing you for work in a fashion that doesn't have to be done. Everything you're asking has been in play for over 2 decades and effectively done, it ain't new, it's not unusual and I've already done over half a dozen integrated 3rd party audits this year and I'm doing one this week (maybe not to 50001).
I will definitely be asking for quotes - now that I am sure I can ask for an integrated audit. I was not impressed with what I saw when I sat at the current external audits

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I will definitely be asking for quotes - now that I am sure I can ask for an integrated audit. I was not impressed with what I saw when I sat at the current external audits
You need to become aware of the IAF Mandatory Document # 11, then. Definitions and terminology also play a role:

A combined audit is when an organization is being audited against the requirements of two or more management systems standards together.

An integrated audit is when an organization has integrated the application of requirements of two or more management systems standards into a single management system and is being audited against more than one standard.

And, don't forget to scroll down the page and browse the similar threads sections as this issue has been discussed a number of times, already. Good luck.

Screenshot 2022-03-09 125748.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T From certified QMS to certified integrated MS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S ISO 9001, ISO 17020 and ISO 3834 Joint (Integrated) QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
K CRM (Customer Relationship Management) integrated with QMS. Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
A Integrated Management System QMS, EMS & OHSAS Manual Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 12
E How to implement an integrated QMS&EMS fitting organisation practices & ISO norms? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
D Supplier QMS Development - Tier 3 integrated circuit supplier to automotive Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
D Integrated Management System (IMS) - Process Vs Clause Based Audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
M EQMS with integrated ERP/MRP? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
G Organizing internal audit program for an Integrated QHSE Management System Internal Auditing 13
D Integrated Management System Software Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
M IATF 16949 SI # 10: Integrated self-calibration of measurement equipment- Needs for explanation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
lanley liao Does all of the suppliers need to integrated into the supplier list qualified of the company? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
A 60601-1 : Integrated Dry ECG Electrodes = 2 Patient connections inside 1 applied part? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
A 60601-1-2 : Integrated Dry Electrodes = PATIENT COUPLED PORT? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
G Management Review (integrated system) Management Review Meetings and related Processes 21
J Audit Checklist for Integrated Management System for ISO 9001:2015, ISO 14001 & OHSAS18001 (IMS) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
G IMS (Integrated Management System) 9001, 14001 & 45001- Request Assistance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
U Imagine a technology which is an artificial muscle and is integrated into textiles... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
M Interview question - IMS (Integrated Management Systems) a necessity or an ISO mistake? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 10
E Scales integrated in medical device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
B Efficacy of Q-Das system integrated with PC-DMIS Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
B Integrated management system - ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 - Is possible to have a joint certificate covering both standards? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
A Integrated risk and opportunities evalution template ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
A Integration of Information Security in an existent Integrated Management System IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
B Integrated Quality Manual ISO 13485:2003 ISO 9001:2015 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
G Integrated ISO EHSQ Multi-Site Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A Integrated Management Systems - ISO 50001 and ISO 9001 possible? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Integrated Phased Processes - AS9100D cl. 8.1 Operational Planning - Clarification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
S Sample document for integrated ISO 20000 & ISO 27001 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
W ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and 18001 Integrated Approach ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
T Guidance - Setting up an integrated quality & environmental management system Career and Occupation Discussions 12
G What to do and prepare for an Integrated Management Systems Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M IMS - Integrated ISO9001, ISO14001 & OHSAS 18001 Internal Audit Checklist Internal Auditing 3
S GDPMD integrated with ISO9001 Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
D IMS (Integrated Management Systems) for 6 standards ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Integrated 9001, 14001, 18001 Management Review Meeting and Minutes Management Review Meetings and related Processes 10
B FMEA example for Cokemaking Process at a integrated Iron and Steelmaking Plant IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Measureables to Monitor an Integrated Management System Capability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
G Integrated Systems Audit Mandays Duration - IAF Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
N Standalone Corrective Action Procedure or Integrated Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
S Critique of an IMS (Integrated Management Systems) Manual Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
Claes Gefvenberg IMS (Integrated Management System) Audited for a week... Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 10
H Integrated Manual for ISO 9001:2008 and API Q1, Eighth Edition. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
S Can the Integrated Test be linked to Software Requirements? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 13
J Site Visit - Implementing an integrated management system ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
B How the indicator is integrated with other activities in the procedure? Customer Complaints 6
V Internal Audit of Integrated Management System Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
J Integrated Management System - Anyone with experience dealing with ISOQAR? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
L Open letter to inform our Vendors we are setting up an Integrated (QHSE) System Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
I Integrated Management System - Nonconforming Service/Product Defects ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4