Integrating Q, E & S Management Systems - who is doing it?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Or who is planning to do it?

I am interested to know about organizations that are integrating Management Systems. It seems that most forward thinking/progressive organizations realize that managing for quality, environment, occupational health & safety, etc. have a lot in common and there are benefits to be realized when integrating it. This last week I made a short presentation to the So-Cal ISO Users Group/ASQ Orange County. See attached presentation file.

Attachments

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
The US Department of Energy has been pursuing the "Integrated Safety Management System (ISMS)" concept since 1995. The goal is to integrate management systems, work planning and execuation, safety, environmental and quality. The use of ISMS has been closely coordinated with the US DOE's version of OSHA's Voluntary Protection Program. You can find out more about these systems on our website at http://www.hanford.gov/safety/vpp/vppage.htm

Last edited:
M

MikeL

We have done a number of integrated systems and often do the programs concurrently.

The structure of the (quality) manual needs to be process based and not just a rehash of the standard.

One of the points in Sydney's Powerpoint is that integration is not just having all your policies and procedures in one manual but that they work together.

New equipment/process introduction is a good example where the risk analysis should include capability to achieve specifications (including production output), safety considerations, management of waste products and so on.

Main issue we get is usually the Safety Manager percieves that their role is to be swallowed up by the quality department

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Not to be underestimated

MikeL said:
Main issue we get is usually the Safety Manager percieves that their role is to be swallowed up by the quality department
Concern over job protection is always an issue not to be underestimated. Sabotage of implementation of new systems should always be monitored for, when people think their paycheck is at risk.

Steve P. said:
The US Department of Energy has been pursuing the "Integrated Safety Management System (ISMS)" concept since 1995. The goal is to integrate management systems, work planning and execuation, safety, environmental and quality. The use of ISMS has been closely coordinated with the US DOE's version of OSHA's Voluntary Protection Program. You can find out more about these systems on our website at http://www.hanford.gov/safety/vpp/vppage.htm
Thank you. This is good information.

B

BSMITH

Steve Prevette said:
I also work for the U.S. Department of Energy and have implemented and/or audited systems at 8 DOE sites. ISMS is primarily a safety management system and only until the Executive Order 13148 has DOE really "put the e in es&h." Until facilities implemented ISO 14001, we had environmental management systems that were primarily compliance systems that weren't as well developed and integrated into the overall management system as they are now.

For our facility (Strategic Petroleum Reserve) I would say that we have partially integrated quality, safety and environmental management systems. We have integrated contractor audits and corrective and preventive actions far broader than quality, safety and environmental systems -- more a "management system" rather than an integrated quality, safety and environmental management system. For example, our contractor audits include environmental, safety, quality, security, financial, accounting, property, construction, design, oil logistics, training, personnel, etc.

M

MikeL

...and this button activates our accountant

BSMITH said:
For example, our contractor audits include environmental, safety, quality, security, financial, accounting, property, construction, design, oil logistics, training, personnel, etc.
I often find that this is the sort of activity where financial people in an organisation start getting interested in (quality) systems.

There is a lot of discussion on this forum about getting the CEO involved in quality. Financial people are the same.

I think it has to do with pushing the right buttons.

Peter Fraser

Trusted Information Resource
Sidney Vianna said:

I am interested to know about organizations that are integrating Management Systems. It seems that most forward thinking/progressive organizations realize that managing for quality, environment, occupational health & safety, etc. have a lot in common and there are benefits to be realized when integrating it. This last week I made a short presentation to the So-Cal ISO Users Group/ASQ Orange County. See attached presentation file.
Sidney

One of your colleagues here in Aberdeen has recently been involved in developing a system for one of our clients, based on our approach to management systems (I can put you in touch with him if you are interested). My view, though, is that the term "integrated management" is misleading and can set folk off on the wrong track. As others have also said, it should not involve putting a number of separate systems together, but rather taking a fresh view of where the organisation is going and how it will get there, and then defining a management (and operational) system to control it. Too many folk seem to think that "integrated management" just means getting a single audit against more than 1 external standard.

In the UK, the IQA have an IMSIG (Integrated Management Special Interest Group). I put this (see attached) together some time ago to try to explain my views ...

Attachments

B

BSMITH

Not Exactly

MikeL said:
I often find that this is the sort of activity where financial people in an organisation start getting interested in (quality) systems.

There is a lot of discussion on this forum about getting the CEO involved in quality. Financial people are the same.

I think it has to do with pushing the right buttons.
When I say that we do financial audits as part of an integrated contractor audit, these audits are not tied to the quality system; instead, a Quality Assurance Engineer is responsible for coordinating the audit program. We have many more requirements that are not directly tied to quality, safety or environmental management systems.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Sidney Vianna said:

Count my company in on this. ISO 9001...ISO 14001...ISRS...OHSAS 18001...SOX...

The best part is that these standards/guidelines have requirements for activities that we already have processes. We're now streamlining them...reducing duplication and the likelihood of errors.

I mean, we already do this stuff right? We don't think about admitting a load of raw materials thinking only about the quality of the product...then the radioactivity...then the oily nature of it. It's all three at once...SEQ.

R

Randy Stewart

I agree RCB. This is how we operate, it doesn't matter if it's an OSHA, ISO or whatever, it is how the company does business. :applause:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Integrating acquired existing product into Quality Management System Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Integrating a Multi-Management System - What documents & records must we have? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
J A First Course in Quality Engineering: Integrating Statistical and Management Methods Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
J Integrating EFQM (European Foundation for Quality Management) Concepts within TS16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
K Integrating ISO 9001:2015 with ISO 17025:2017 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Informational Draft ANSM’S GUIDELINE Cybersecurity of medical devices integrating software during their life cycle Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B Integrating ISO 9001/27001 External Audits - Audit Time Reduced? Discounts? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Integrating a Contract Manufacturer's documentation into our Quality System ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Integrating API Spec Q1 with ISO 9001:2015 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 18
S Integrating ISO 20000 and ISO 31000 with ISO 9001 IT (Information Technology) Service Management 2
P Experience / advice for integrating API Q1 9th with a WCM program Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
C Integrating ISO 9001, 14001 & OSHAS 18001 - Do you need a Manual & Procedures? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
M Integrating Multiple HSEQ Systems into a Single Harmonised Global System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Integrating other standards into ISO9001 QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
GStough Integrating 3 System Standards - ISO 9001, ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 20
V Integrating ISO 14001 and EPA Responsible Recycling (R2) ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
M Integrating ISO 22000 and ISO 9001 - Food Safety Presentation for ISO Conference Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
P Integrating ISO 9001, TS16949, ISO 14001 & NOSA ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
F Integrating Third-Party Software into Software we Provide ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
J Integrating a Project Model in a Process Based Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
C Integrating Multiple Company Policies such Quality and an Environmental Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Integrating Quality, Environment and Safety documents - Risk Assessment Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
V Pros and Cons of integrating ISO 14001 and ISO 9001? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
V Integrating the FMEA process with problem investigation/RCA process and PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 11
M Integrating a Distributive Control System (DCS) into an existing 9001:2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Integrating ISO 14001 & 9001 into OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 65
I Integrating EN ISO 9001 with JAA Regulations, QS, CAMO & MRO (Aviation Regulations). AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
S Integrating both ISO 13485 and TS 16949 into the same quality manual Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 7
B Integrating corporate's quality SOPs into our facility ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
A Integrating Continuous Improvement and Standardization - "The Toyota Way" Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 28
G Integrating MBNQA to the Quality Manual Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
C Integrating offshore development into our QMS? Software Development Software Quality Assurance 1
R Integrating Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism into ISO 9001 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
M Integrating ISO 13485:1996 with ISO 9001:1994 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Integrating the FMEA Process to address identification of Aspects and Impacts Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
B Integrating Environment / H&S / Quality / Energy Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 12
xfngrs Integrating ISO 14001 with QS-9000 for a 'single' system Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
L Integrating ISO 14001 into QS-9000 w T/E or ISO 9001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 15
B Integrating EMS and QMS Audits - Is it worth it? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
B Integrating Audits - Is it worth it? General Auditing Discussions 1
A Can a CEO be the management representative AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
M Clinical evaluation interface with the risk management process EU Medical Device Regulations 9
D Integrated Management System (IMS) - Process Vs Clause Based Audits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
S Critical spare management guideline IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Q The Management system is too much ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J ISO 10993-1:2018 Format to Perform Risk Management Process US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
E Visual Management Boards & QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
S Scope of management review ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
B Risk Management Procedure updates needed for 14971:2019 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 11
D Electronic Document Management System ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16