Integrating Q, E & S Management Systems - who is doing it?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Or who is planning to do it?

I am interested to know about organizations that are integrating Management Systems. It seems that most forward thinking/progressive organizations realize that managing for quality, environment, occupational health & safety, etc. have a lot in common and there are benefits to be realized when integrating it. This last week I made a short presentation to the So-Cal ISO Users Group/ASQ Orange County. See attached presentation file.

Attachments

• The pros and cons of integrating management systems.pdf
    403 KB · Views: 754
Last edited:

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
The US Department of Energy has been pursuing the "Integrated Safety Management System (ISMS)" concept since 1995. The goal is to integrate management systems, work planning and execuation, safety, environmental and quality. The use of ISMS has been closely coordinated with the US DOE's version of OSHA's Voluntary Protection Program. You can find out more about these systems on our website at http://www.hanford.gov/safety/vpp/vppage.htm

Last edited:
M

MikeL

We have done a number of integrated systems and often do the programs concurrently.

The structure of the (quality) manual needs to be process based and not just a rehash of the standard.

One of the points in Sydney's Powerpoint is that integration is not just having all your policies and procedures in one manual but that they work together.

New equipment/process introduction is a good example where the risk analysis should include capability to achieve specifications (including production output), safety considerations, management of waste products and so on.

Main issue we get is usually the Safety Manager percieves that their role is to be swallowed up by the quality department

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Not to be underestimated

MikeL said:
Main issue we get is usually the Safety Manager percieves that their role is to be swallowed up by the quality department
yes.gif
Concern over job protection is always an issue not to be underestimated. Sabotage of implementation of new systems should always be monitored for, when people think their paycheck is at risk.

Steve P. said:
The US Department of Energy has been pursuing the "Integrated Safety Management System (ISMS)" concept since 1995. The goal is to integrate management systems, work planning and execuation, safety, environmental and quality. The use of ISMS has been closely coordinated with the US DOE's version of OSHA's Voluntary Protection Program. You can find out more about these systems on our website at http://www.hanford.gov/safety/vpp/vppage.htm
Thank you. This is good information.

B

BSMITH

Steve Prevette said:

I also work for the U.S. Department of Energy and have implemented and/or audited systems at 8 DOE sites. ISMS is primarily a safety management system and only until the Executive Order 13148 has DOE really "put the e in es&h." Until facilities implemented ISO 14001, we had environmental management systems that were primarily compliance systems that weren't as well developed and integrated into the overall management system as they are now.

For our facility (Strategic Petroleum Reserve) I would say that we have partially integrated quality, safety and environmental management systems. We have integrated contractor audits and corrective and preventive actions far broader than quality, safety and environmental systems -- more a "management system" rather than an integrated quality, safety and environmental management system. For example, our contractor audits include environmental, safety, quality, security, financial, accounting, property, construction, design, oil logistics, training, personnel, etc.

M

MikeL

...and this button activates our accountant

BSMITH said:
For example, our contractor audits include environmental, safety, quality, security, financial, accounting, property, construction, design, oil logistics, training, personnel, etc.

I often find that this is the sort of activity where financial people in an organisation start getting interested in (quality) systems.

There is a lot of discussion on this forum about getting the CEO involved in quality. Financial people are the same.

I think it has to do with pushing the right buttons.

Peter Fraser

Trusted Information Resource
Sidney Vianna said:

I am interested to know about organizations that are integrating Management Systems. It seems that most forward thinking/progressive organizations realize that managing for quality, environment, occupational health & safety, etc. have a lot in common and there are benefits to be realized when integrating it. This last week I made a short presentation to the So-Cal ISO Users Group/ASQ Orange County. See attached presentation file.

Sidney

One of your colleagues here in Aberdeen has recently been involved in developing a system for one of our clients, based on our approach to management systems (I can put you in touch with him if you are interested). My view, though, is that the term "integrated management" is misleading and can set folk off on the wrong track. As others have also said, it should not involve putting a number of separate systems together, but rather taking a fresh view of where the organisation is going and how it will get there, and then defining a management (and operational) system to control it. Too many folk seem to think that "integrated management" just means getting a single audit against more than 1 external standard.

In the UK, the IQA have an IMSIG (Integrated Management Special Interest Group). I put this (see attached) together some time ago to try to explain my views ...

Attachments

• MandOS_IMS.pps
    86 KB · Views: 578
B

BSMITH

Not Exactly

MikeL said:
I often find that this is the sort of activity where financial people in an organisation start getting interested in (quality) systems.

There is a lot of discussion on this forum about getting the CEO involved in quality. Financial people are the same.

I think it has to do with pushing the right buttons.

When I say that we do financial audits as part of an integrated contractor audit, these audits are not tied to the quality system; instead, a Quality Assurance Engineer is responsible for coordinating the audit program. We have many more requirements that are not directly tied to quality, safety or environmental management systems.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Sidney Vianna said:

Count my company in on this. ISO 9001...ISO 14001...ISRS...OHSAS 18001...SOX...

The best part is that these standards/guidelines have requirements for activities that we already have processes. We're now streamlining them...reducing duplication and the likelihood of errors.

I mean, we already do this stuff right? We don't think about admitting a load of raw materials thinking only about the quality of the product...then the radioactivity...then the oily nature of it. It's all three at once...SEQ.

R

Randy Stewart

I agree RCB. This is how we operate, it doesn't matter if it's an OSHA, ISO or whatever, it is how the company does business. :applause:

Top Bottom