Integrating the FMEA Process to address identification of Aspects and Impacts

D

Diana Cadwalader

FMEA Process to id aspects/impacts

Hi. I have read through most of the threads posted here and must say that I have found a new fave site on the web. I am primarily a quality systems person, but have been asked to drive the implementation of 14001 in one of our smaller more contained tier 1 automotive facilities.

In attempting to revamp our fmea forms used in mfg so that they have less subjectivity and become more relavent to our processes rather than building an auto, it occurred to me that I could revamp the venacular around the severity and occurance levels and have a very solid tool for identifying aspects and their impacts and this would ensure a solid significance ranking. We have a process for id'g a/i at the facility but it is very subjective. I am looking for long term continual improvement of that system.

I have been told that quality systems people do not make good ems people,,,, so am seeking some expert opinion here.

Thanks so much for all the helpful info that has been posted here. I feel much better and more confident now in the interpretations that I have made and many of the steps taken thus far to get us ready for certification.

Regards
Di

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
I have been told that quality systems people do not make good ems people
Most of the people that say that aren't sharing the stuff they're smoking. Anybody can be a good EMS person. I just had dealings with a gentleman that is a highway engineer that is the MR for a great EMS. I'm the Lead and Surveillance Auditor for their certificate, and he understands EMS real well.

Marc has some good A&I info here (use the search machine on this site). Another good reference is Marilyn Blocks book on Aspects & Impacts.

D

Diana Cadwalader

Thanks

Randy- Thanks - the search engine is great. I have found that i have to be careful because I could literally spend all night in here reading and benchmarking.
You are right as well about Marily Blocks book. When we first considered implementing a global system, I had her in to do the initial iso14001 training to my global implementation team. The only downfall to that was that even though she brought alot of knowledge to the table, I found that there was not alot of good input or guidance relative to implementing in manufacturing environment or implementing with qs. Maybe we were just too green then and did not get the full benefits of the training.

Randy

Super Moderator
There are some providers out there (CEEM for one) that have courses on implementation and integration of QS & EMS. Marilyn Block (who I've never met or talked to) also has a book on integration of systems (it's kinda dated towards 9001:94 though). I'm not pushing any specific authors or organizations, I've just got some knowledge of these specific ones.

You might want to try even ol' Marc here, he's done some combined things recently. And he's close by.

kalehner

Involved - Posts
Advertiser
I have used and audited both FMEA and Non-FMEA aspect identification procedures. I prefer the non-FMEA approach. Here are some reasons why I don’t like FMEA for aspect identification:

· There is a tendency for FMEA to identify only aspects that have a high potential impact under abnormal circumstances. Many of the aspects that already have operational controls in place and should be in the EMS fall short in the ranking process because they are perceived to be already under control and therefore irrelevant.

· People working with the aspects (in the production areas) need to be engaged in the identification and significance determination process. It has been my experience that when you try to engage these folks in a complicated ranking system they loose interest in the process or worse do not respect the EMS. Its not that these folks are not bright. In fact they are usually very bright and are quick to recognize when something is being made harder than it needs to be.
· At some point a significance threshold value will need to be established for the ranking system. More often than not I have found that the organization establishes this value to return a limited number of aspects. I have yet to hear an organization give a good justification for the significance threshold value. Occasionally I will get an honest answer like “we only thought we could manage 10 significant aspects so we set the threshold value where it would only return that number of significant aspects.�

I know that many of the ISO 14001 “experts� swear by FMEA but I believe they are giving bad advice and causing a lot of unnecessary effort to be made during Implementation. If you feel compelled to prioritize your aspects do it after you have determined which are significant. Implementing an EMS is not like brain surgery. It does not take a highly gifted mind to do it. It is more like learning to ride a bicycle. Its better to learn to do it with someone there to help you get the feel for it. And maybe catch you if you are going to fall.

M

mdobovsek - 2005

Diana!
Do not get problematic your life.
I´m too from quality (the heavy one -pharmaceutical industry)

My advice:

We address the responsibility to detect aspects to our workers.
The approach:

identify an impact or posibility to one
relate it to an aspect from a list we (EMS managers) develop (not more than 20-30)---> purpose to group them for selecting as a objective

estimate impact:
2 levels matrix:
inside the plant, outside the plant (interested parties)
lo, mid and hi consecuences ----> 6 possible values of A

estimate frecuence of ocurrence:
each week
each month
each year
in 10 years
4 possible value of B

Multiply A x B

You get a number

EMS manager must define the number above one impact is significative----> operational documented control

Apply only common sense.

We are DNV certified

Good luck

PD: similar approach use Nasa at Glenn Space Center

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Integrating the FMEA process with problem investigation/RCA process and PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 4
M Informational Draft ANSM’S GUIDELINE Cybersecurity of medical devices integrating software during their life cycle Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B Integrating ISO 9001/27001 External Audits - Audit Time Reduced? Discounts? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Integrating a Contract Manufacturer's documentation into our Quality System ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Integrating API Spec Q1 with ISO 9001:2015 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 18
S Integrating ISO 20000 and ISO 31000 with ISO 9001 IT (Information Technology) Service Management 2
P Experience / advice for integrating API Q1 9th with a WCM program Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
C Integrating ISO 9001, 14001 & OSHAS 18001 - Do you need a Manual & Procedures? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
K Integrating acquired existing product into Quality Management System Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Integrating Multiple HSEQ Systems into a Single Harmonised Global System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Integrating a Multi-Management System - What documents & records must we have? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
B Integrating other standards into ISO9001 QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
GStough Integrating 3 System Standards - ISO 9001, ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 20
V Integrating ISO 14001 and EPA Responsible Recycling (R2) ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
M Integrating ISO 22000 and ISO 9001 - Food Safety Presentation for ISO Conference Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
P Integrating ISO 9001, TS16949, ISO 14001 & NOSA ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
F Integrating Third-Party Software into Software we Provide ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
J Integrating a Project Model in a Process Based Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
C Integrating Multiple Company Policies such Quality and an Environmental Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Integrating Quality, Environment and Safety documents - Risk Assessment Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
V Pros and Cons of integrating ISO 14001 and ISO 9001? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
M Integrating a Distributive Control System (DCS) into an existing 9001:2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Integrating ISO 14001 & 9001 into OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 65
J A First Course in Quality Engineering: Integrating Statistical and Management Methods Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
I Integrating EN ISO 9001 with JAA Regulations, QS, CAMO & MRO (Aviation Regulations). AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
S Integrating both ISO 13485 and TS 16949 into the same quality manual Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 7
B Integrating corporate's quality SOPs into our facility ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
J Integrating EFQM (European Foundation for Quality Management) Concepts within TS16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
A Integrating Continuous Improvement and Standardization - "The Toyota Way" Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 28
Sidney Vianna Integrating Q, E & S Management Systems - who is doing it? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 28
G Integrating MBNQA to the Quality Manual Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
C Integrating offshore development into our QMS? Software Development Software Quality Assurance 1
R Integrating Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism into ISO 9001 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
M Integrating ISO 13485:1996 with ISO 9001:1994 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
B Integrating Environment / H&S / Quality / Energy Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 12
xfngrs Integrating ISO 14001 with QS-9000 for a 'single' system Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
L Integrating ISO 14001 into QS-9000 w T/E or ISO 9001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 15
B Integrating EMS and QMS Audits - Is it worth it? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
B Integrating Audits - Is it worth it? General Auditing Discussions 1
J FMEA Handbook 2019 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Process FMEA Template with examples - Cold and Hot Forged components FMEA and Control Plans 4
B Why the Greek god Hephaestus should have done a design FMEA (DFMEA) on his giant robot APQP and PPAP 1
P Design FMEA - Detection Rating criteria ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
J Which OEM or customers are now requiring the new AIAG/VDA FMEA format? FMEA and Control Plans 0
C AIAG/VDA FMEA - Is the new better? FMEA and Control Plans 0
I Does anybody use Detection in medical device Design FMEA? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
P VDA AIAG FMEA - Slides for Quality Audience FMEA and Control Plans 4
P Design FMEA for Industrial Machinery FMEA and Control Plans 3
B AIAG/VDA’s FMEA Manual Is a Major Advance (my take on this subject) FMEA and Control Plans 2
B AIAG-VDA FMEA - When the new format will be required FMEA and Control Plans 5