Integrity lost? Conflict of Interest? ISO 9000 'Keepers' Profit from their books

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Integrity lost?

OK…here I go again on my soapbox.

A few weeks ago I attended a 9K2K transitioning seminar sponsored by ASQ. The course included instruction materials including a copy of the book "ISO 9001:2000 Explained". As we worked our way through the material and referenced the book, I found it to be very helpful.

About halfway through the day, I happened to flip the book over to read a little about the authors. Here is what is says (no editing on my part, but not the full text)

"Charles A. Cianfrani is the U.S. Expert representative to ISO/TC/176/SC2/WG18, the Working Group that wrote ISO 9001/4:2000."

"Joseph J. Tsiakals is the medical device technical expert on the ISO/TC 176 writing team for ISO 9001:2000 and previously was the lead U.S. Expert representative for the development of ISO 9001:1994. Mr. Tsiakals is a member of the board of directors of the Registrar Accreditation Board."

"John E. (Jack) West is chairman of the U.S. Technical Advisory Group for ISO/TC 176 and Lead Delegate for the United States to the International Organization for Standardization committee responsible for the ISO 9000 family of quality management standards."

Well, yes….these guys are the experts, that is why the book is so helpful…..but I don't like it. Not one bit. Not only do they get to write the standard, they publish the book (ASQ Member Price: $36.00, List Price: $45.00) on how to understand it, and one of them is on the board of the RAB.

I am not so naïve not to understand this is how the real world operates. But how can integrity be bought?

OK….steam blown for the day. Thanks for listening!

:frust: :frust: :frust:

CarolX

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Atul Khandekar

Quite Involved in Discussions
I would think those who wrote it are the best people to explain it. You agree that the book is helpful.

Should they charge money for it?:confused: Well, why not?:confused:

M

M Greenaway

But do they have a vested interest in making the standard vague and incomprehensible in order to be able to publish a book on the subject, or are they just milking the whole third party certification facade for what its worth ?

Is it wrong ?

IMHO - yes.

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
The ASQ ISO 9001:2000 Handbook was written by the three mentioned for $96.00. Seems like a conflict of interest. Both books are good reference books but do not tell all. I think most who bought the books figured that they would be a tell all. But, I guess the TC has to come to some type of agreement! Do not forget all the speeches, public and private instruction. Hey, someone has to make some $$$$ on ISO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D

David Hartman

Let's not forget that this version of the standard, once authored, went through several years of review and modification by a very LARGE committee (several countries of committees in-fact). So to blame the vagueness of the documents on the 3 men named here seems more than a little unfair. After all, do any of you know what their "original" draft looked like?

Perhaps the only way that these men feel that they can maintain their integrity is to provide books that include the details that they were forced to leave out (just a hypothesis, but just as valid as putting all of the blame for its' vagueness on them). And if they can make some money out of keeping their integrity, great for them - after all any of us could author similar books (many of you have written reams of text on the subject right here in the Cove). :)

I agree with M. Soemthing is wrong if a book has to be written to expalin a standard or specification. If those were the same people that authored the standard then why not incorporate those thiughts into the original.
IMO forget the self-help-books. The standard is rather easy to read and comprehend, at least easier than most. Implement it as you understand it and present it to your CB. If they do not agree, then each of you should present evidence of your interpretations and come to an agreement.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I would see a conflict of interest, and integrity problems, only if these guys purposefully made the standard more difficult to understand with the intention of making money off a "how-to" book. If someone can show me evidence this happened, then I have a problem with it. Otherwise, I don't. The standard could not have been made 100, 200, 300 pages long to include detailed explanations, examples, etc.

I asked myself, if I were the co-author of a standard on how to do the measurements that I do in my work, AND I wrote the standard as well as I possibly could, would I feel guilty if I later wrote a more in-depth book on the measurements for profit. I don't think so. I think this is fairly standard practice and do not see a problem with it. Why shouldn't I profit from my hard work and knowledge, just like we all do in our daily work? JMO.

E

energy

No! I don't believe it.

Mike S. said:

I would see a conflict of interest, and integrity problems, only if these guys purposefully made the standard more difficult to understand with the intention of making money off a "how-to" book.
Who knows what evil lurks in the minds of ..........?

Mike S. said:

Why shouldn't I profit from my hard work and knowledge, just like we all do in our daily work? JMO.
You little prostitute, you!:biglaugh: :ko: :smokin:

A

Aaron Lupo

Sam said:

I agree with M. Soemthing is wrong if a book has to be written to expalin a standard or specification. If those were the same people that authored the standard then why not incorporate those thiughts into the original.
IMO forget the self-help-books. The standard is rather easy to read and comprehend, at least easier than most. Implement it as you understand it and present it to your CB. If they do not agree, then each of you should present evidence of your interpretations and come to an agreement.
I agree with Sam, ISO 9K2K is very easy to understand and or interpret the way that best suits your organization and as long as your registrar/notified body agrees or accepts your reasoning that’s all that matters. Buying a book that explains 9K2K is a waste of money IMHO.

I would say no to conflict of interest. Should you buy the book again IMHO no, just read the standard and make it work for your company.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
ISO GUY said:

I agree with Sam, ISO 9K2K is very easy to understand and or interpret the way that best suits your organization and as long as your registrar/notified body agrees or accepts your reasoning that’s all that matters. Buying a book that explains 9K2K is a waste of money IMHO.

I would say no to conflict of interest. Should you buy the book again IMHO no, just read the standard and make it work for your company.
Sam and Isoguy,

Y'all must be lots smarter than I am! Of course this was a foregone conclusion to many, but if it weren't for the Cove as a resource I'd have lots of questions on ISO issues that confuse ME, so I'd probably buy a book. But I gotta wonder, are ALL the people who ask questions on the Cove about ISO, and ALL the folks who do buy the books really dumb or are guys like Sam and Isoguy just really much smarter than the average bear? :confused:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Lot Integrity - Process Steps where Identification is Lost (eg.: Quench) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
T ISO 17025:2017 requirement 5.7.b. about maintenance the integrity of the management system ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
R What is meant by Use of COMPONENTS WITH HIGH-INTEGRITY CHARACTERISTICS in ME EQUIPMENT (clause no 4.9) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
J Integrity of electronic digital records - Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Package Integrity Test ASTM F 2096 or ASTM 1929 Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
V Every good documentation practice observation is an data integrity issue US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
V What is the criteria to cite an good documentation practices observation as an data integrity related issue US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
Sidney Vianna ISO 9001 News Tirelessly Improving the Brand Integrity of ISO 9001 - Working Group under ISO TC 176 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 42
I HEPA Filter Integrity test ISO class 9 room Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
Q MHRA has released a new guidance document related to 'GXP' Data Integrity EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R Wet Signature Document Attachments in SAP - Risk on Data Integrity issue? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
E Definition Integrity - The meaning of the word INTEGRITY in ISO 13485 Control of Records Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
V Data Quality and Data Integrity - Audit Trail - Part 11 - WHO - FDA - MHRA - PDA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
N Foil Package Integrity Testing ISO 4074 Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
D Integrity and Inspection of Concrete Blocks Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
sagai Safety Integrity Requirement as per ISO/IEC 61508 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
somashekar 5.4.2 b) Integrity of QMS in Change Management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
H Package Integrity Testing Acceptance Criteria ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Suggested process to show compliance for this 820.120(a) for Label Integrity 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M How to validate a Dye Test method used to evaluate Package Integrity Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 8
N High Integrity Components Definition according to clause 4.9 of IEC60601-1 3rd ED IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 43
I SIL (Safety Integrity Level) calculation per IEC 61508. Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
V ISO 26262 - How to handle OEM ASIL A (Automotive Software Integrity Requirements) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
J Outline of Data Integrity Training or a Data Intergrity Agreement example wanted Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
S A question on Maintaining the Integrity of the QMS (5.4.2) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
H Surgical Sealant Package Integrity Test for Glass Vial Filled Product Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
W Oven Leak Test Method - Integrity of the chamber to hold gas Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
J Container Closure Integrity & Sterility Test - The Dye Immersion Method Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 16
A Internal auditors independence & integrity Internal Auditing 9
bobdoering Determining a Good Variable for Small Scale Weld Integrity Capability Evaluation Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
K Data Integrity Verification Tool Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
I How Must Safety Integrity Level (SIL) For Ball Valves Be Calculated? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
T Automotive Software Integrity Level (ASIL) - What are the Requirements & Details? Software Quality Assurance 2
A Import Data Integrity Software Quality Assurance 2
S Employer asking me to compromise on integrity Career and Occupation Discussions 46
R Meat Sample Integrity General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Q How to handle the integrity of electronic data in databases? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 13
A Integrity of Flue gas analyzer? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
Y Label Integrity Validation - Instances of labels peeling off unexpectedly Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
D cGMP and Batch Integrity of Bulk Storage Tanks US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
D Industry Standard for Brazed Joint Integrity - Customer Specification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
apestate Integrity in reporting, and Poorly defined Tolerances and Requirements Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
Marc NIST 'High Integrity Software Systems Assurance' resource (site semi-abandoned) Software Quality Assurance 2
P Lot integrity - We have many paperwork problems - Wht can I do? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
S Cost of Poor Quality (CoPQ) - Scrap element of calculation includes lost margin? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
B Am so sorry but i am lost (Aerospace) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
Marc Have you Lost some "Points"? (16 August 2018) Forum News and General Information 4
M True Position / GD&T - I'm staring at this drawing and I'm lost Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
J Calibration Recall - Lost Gages procedure example wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Jim Wynne GD&T Symbols: Lost in Translation Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5