SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Intel-Macs owners now have an official second OS option - Windows XP

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Staff member
Admin
I run 'Virtual PC' and Windows 2000 on my Mac from time to time because now and again I need to run a PC program, but I'm not a fan of booting into 1 OS alone as an either or. I'd prefer to have a virtual machine running so I can easily switch back and forth. But maybe I'm missing something here. Anyway, for a Mac person this is interesting:
Intel-Macs owners now have an official second OS option

Ever since the release of Apple's Intel-based Macs, the user community has been attempting to find ways to install Windows XP on their Macs. Because of issues regarding how Apple has designed its new computers, initial attempts at installing Windows XP were met with frustration. While a method has now be devised to install Windows, must users are staying away do to the complexity of the method and the risks involved. Lack of proper drivers are also a factor.

Today however, Apple has released what it calls Boot Camp Beta, a download for current Intel-Mac owners that allows them to install Windows XP without hacking their Windows XP installation CD. Apple says that in its next major release of OS X, called Leopard, Boot Camp will be fully integrated. For now, users can download the 85MB Boot Camp Beta directly from Apple's website.

Boot Camp lets you install Windows XP without moving your Mac data, though you will need to bring your own copy to the table, as Apple Computer does not sell or support Microsoft Windows. Boot Camp will burn a CD of all the required drivers for Windows so you don't have to scrounge around the Internet looking for them.

Apple's Boot Camp will also provide users with officially working drivers to get their Windows XP up and running.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Marc said:
I run 'Virtual PC' and Windows 2000 on my Mac from time to time because now and again I need to run a PC program, but I'm not a fan of booting into 1 OS alone as an either or. I'd prefer to have a virtual machine running so I can easily switch back and forth. But maybe I'm missing something here. Anyway, for a Mac person this is interesting:
I think it's only a matter of time before the Mac OS is abandoned altogether. The switch to Intel processors was the beginning of the end, and I think you should expect to see Macs (or some form of Apple computer) shipping with Vista installed in the next few years.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Place your bets. The death of the Mac OS (actually the Mac its self) has been talked about and predicted for years.

J

jaimezepeda

Jim Wynne said:
I think it's only a matter of time before the Mac OS is abandoned altogether...
I switched from Windows to OS X about 9 months ago. I don't plan to go back to Windows on my home 'puter. It is too bad that my office is a Windows shop.

Jaime

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
jaimezepeda said:
I switched from Windows to OS X about 9 months ago. I don't plan to go back to Windows on my home 'puter. It is too bad that my office is a Windows shop.

Jaime
I'm not a party to the "my OS is better than your OS" squabbles. In the end it's always what people want that determines what sells and what doesn't, and what people want isn't always related to what's "best." My prediction regarding the final triumph of Windows is based on the fact that there are an awful lot of people who want an Apple computer but don't want the limitations of the architecture. The fact that those people don't understand that the limits of the architecture are what sets Macs apart doesn't matter. Don't try to apply logic in marketing if you're trying to sell things to illogical people.

S

scott31

Jim Wynne said:
My prediction regarding the final triumph of Windows
Microsoft hasn't been triumphant (with the exception of market share and profits) over anyone in a very long time. I have started using Linux (Debian and Fedora Core) and the more I have researched and learned I have realized that the Microsoft has some serious problems. Microsoft isn't stable, since Windows 2000 it is bloated and slow, updates/security patches have become a national past-time. Thier answer to creating a new technology has been to buy someone elses. Licensing costs are just plain perverse and at some point they drop support for aging operating systems. I want to make it clear that I am not bashing Microsoft I am stating some serious limitations. I don't think Mac is dying it has a pretty strong hold in the graphics industries.

Interesting Articles:

http://www.redmondmag.com/news/article.asp?EditorialsID=7317

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,18727678%5E31037,00.html

J

JerryStem

Forget XP...

...I'd rather try OS X on my PC....... Not real sure about Macs but I believe PC's have a better selection for hardware parts, let alone software. But I've heard good things about OS X so I wouldn't mind a choice.

Jerry

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Many people are saying the same thing - Release a version of Mac OS which will work on 'standard' windows boxes. It really doesn't matter to me - It's not the hardware. It's the OS. I prefer Apple but the few times I've had problems they have always had excellent customer support. When I bought this iMac there were problems with a batch of motherboards. Apple sent someone to my house to replace it (they know who had the bad boards by serial number).

Personally I haven't seen a PC program which won't run under virtual PC on my Mac so I have no interest in dual boot. I'm not a gamer so speed per se isn't a problem. I did read a review this AM where XP was installed on one of the new Macs and they ran Doom and a couple of other programs and they said the games run as fast as on a standard intel box.

PC World has first impressions of what it's like to run Windows with Boot Camp, the recently announced official dual-boot software for the Intel Macs. From the article: "Back in Windows, I got right down to business and installed a few games to put the graphics and sound support to the test. The quick and dirty verdict on performance? Most impressive. Doom 3 and Far Cry both ran smoothly with high-end graphics options turned on. In both cases, I had to tweak visual settings manually, since the games automatically set themselves to very low settings. Far Cry, for example, autodetected very low settings, but it ran without a hitch when I bumped the resolution up to 1280 by 720, with all visual quality options set to 'High."

Personally, I think Apple has hit another high note. I predict sales increases and more people switching.

I will say one thing... I see so many people talking about Apple as an 'also ran' because it doesn't have the installed user base windows has. I say, big deal. Apple is a quite profitable company and has endured for over 30 years now. Many people fail to remember, or just don't know, that Apple made and sold the first 'useable' personal computer. To base the success of Apple in the vein of comparing it to Microsoft and Apple's small market share is akin to comparisons such as BMW being an also ran because it doesn't sell more cars than Toyota or GM or such.

Over the years I've watched as companies have spent millions upon millions of dollars and manhours just in response to Micosoft bugs, viruses and worms. My Macs have never skipped a beat. Got my first Mac in 1986 and have never regretted it. I've worked on all kinds of boxes over the years (I'm from the early 1970's punchcard days, so I've used a lot of different machines over the last 35 years.), including DOS / Windows (have a Windows machine behind me running a server that's on 24/7/365), *nix, *BSD (this server is running FreeBSD), Amiga, and Linux. For what I do every day, I prefer the Mac OS.

But - It's all a matter of taste. Some people like fish, others prefer beef. I buy what I like and others will buy what they prefer.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Virtualization is what I'm waiting for. I'm betting that OS x 4.5 will be awsome and by then a virtual machine for XP and probably for Vista will undoubtedly be available. From Wired News
Although Apple says it has no plans to create a virtualization product for the Mac, the advantages of this approach are strong enough that a number of rivals are rushing to market with Mac virtualization products even as Apple offers its dual-boot option.

On Thursday, Herndon, Virginia-based Parallels released a public beta of its virtualization software package, Parallels Workstation 2.1.

"What's the value of a dual-boot solution? Is there any value? I don't really think so," said Parallels marketing manager Benjamin Rudolph.

Virtualization is heating up in the corporate market, and it's likely only a matter of time before it becomes standard issue on most computers. In a sign of what's to come, VMWare this week announced it would give away a key specification for defining and formatting virtual machine environments. Microsoft fired back by offering up its Virtual Server 2005 R2 Enterprise Edition, also for free.

Virtualization for the Mac has been slower to market, but promises to explode. CodeWeavers, the primary corporate backers of the open-source Wine Project, which allows Windows applications to run in Linux, has said it will release a Mac OS X version of CrossOver Office, a shrink-wrapped version of the technology.

Alexandre Juilliard, who oversees Wine, said Mac users will get to try it themselves in the very near future. "No date is set, but it's probably a matter of a couple of months now," he said.

M

M Caruso

http://www.dealcatcher.com/forums/m_402248/tm.htm

Here is a post about someone installing the new Boot Camp and getting the infamous "Blue Screen of Death". He includes a picture.

I personally will be keeping my PC and Windows setup. There are just too many things that I own for that setup, it makes no sense ($) for me to look at another type of system.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc CrossOver public beta: Allows Windows apps to run without Windows on Intel-based Macs After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Intel to lay off more than 10,000 workers World News 0
Marc OSx86 10.4.4 Security Broken - Apple's latest release of OS X for Intel After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
Marc Intel releases is WiMax chip - And Rewrites History After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
C Multiple owners for one listed device Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
A ISO 13485 - Internal Auditor Independence and Process Owners ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K Process Owners signing Internal Audit Reports Internal Auditing 6
R Reorganization - Some New Employees were placed as Managers over some Owners Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
F Can a Process have two owners? Companies merged ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L ISO/TS 16949:2002 Certified company with new owners and name IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B Additional site to be included in TS Cert. (Common owners & some functions) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
K One site reporting to several business owners ? How to structure? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
F Process Owners and Process Documentation which Affects Multiple Departments Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
A ISO 17020 system owners - please share your experience General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Top Management are the owners and are complete jerks - When the crowd is gone ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
D SUV, truck owners get a big tax break - Revisited Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
Wes Bucey Quality versus "delight" - Low complaints but few "raves" by vehicle owners World News 16
T New division / Different owners - Quality policy - Different signatures/logos/header IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3