Intended use - Taiwan

Dear All,
I posted not too long ago a question concerning a difficulty we are experiencing in registering a new RF based device in Taiwan:

Long time ago our EU NB advised us during a submission of a new device class IIB that we amend the intended users section in the IFU from:

Intended users: Healthcare professionals

To:
Intended users: Healthcare professionals (Doctors or Nurses)

Meaning to add Dr and nurses.

We are now facing some RA difficulties in Taiwan requesting to omit Dr and Nursed.

We came to know that our NB requested that we explain what does it mean "Health care professionals" and we replied "doctors and nurse, meaning it was their request.

Provided we dont wish to create a special configuration fso that the same device bearing the Medical CE will be also sold in Taiwan:

• If Taiwan doesn’t need the Medical CE for registration, but its still there, are we allowed to create a separate IFU with or without the CE medical with their requested intended use and add it to the machine which bears the Medical CE mark?
  • If they need the medical CE mark, it means that the IFU must be with the CE mark as well with the same intended use as in Europe even though its sold outside of the EU?
Thanks
Udi

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

monoj mon

Involved In Discussions
  • If Taiwan doesn’t need the Medical CE for registration, but its still there, are we allowed to create a separate IFU with or without the CE medical with their requested intended use and add it to the machine which bears the Medical CE mark?
  • If they need the medical CE mark, it means that the IFU must be with the CE mark as well with the same intended use as in Europe even though its sold outside of the EU?
Although I don't directly handle our products' approval in Taiwan, but I do contribute (time to time) by preparing some of the summary documents for our products' (without CE mark or 510k) approval in Taiwan. Based on my experience, you can submit your application independent of your CE status. I assume, you are aware of the fact that you will need to write almost everything in Chinese! Specially the Labeling. If you submit your application independent of CE or 510k, you may need to provide similar amount of documents you provided for CE, including a well-written Clinical Evaluation Summary. While submitting, you can try providing information about your CE status (including your CE mark on the labels/IFUs) and consult with TFDA reviewers about it.

Sicco

Involved In Discussions
Hi Udi,
there shouldn't be a problem to prepare different version - with labelling without the CE mark - it is also your protection because you could face some obstacles if such device would be re-sale to Europe (this is not so probably but it could happen)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U Intended Users in IFU (Instructions for Use) EU Medical Device Regulations 5
G Same intended use devices - Technical file EU Medical Device Regulations 2
B IEC 60601 Cl. 8.4.3 - ME EQUIPMENT intended to be connected to a power source by a plug / Plug discharge IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
MDD_QNA We have a device with two intended uses and we want to remove one EU Medical Device Regulations 14
K Intended Use-Class I Self Certified - Intended Use and Indications for Use statements EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational FDA order – All manufacturers of surgical mesh intended for transvaginal repair of anterior compartment prolapse (cystocele) to stop selling and distr Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
W IEC 60601-1-2 Susceptibility/Immunity for device intended to be used in patient body IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
O FDA- CDRH - Design considerations for devices intended for home use US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
K Difference between intended purpose and intended use of the device EU Medical Device Regulations 9
O New stability - Yes or No - Similar product but for different intended use EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Definition Intended Results - What does "Intended Results" mean? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
I Medical Device - Bundled 510(k) for multiple intended uses Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
M Devices intended to administer medicinal products - MDD 93/43, Annex I, 7.3 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q The ability of computer software to satisfy the intended application ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
X IEC60601 Battery powered devices intended for measuring bio-impedance IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
P Updating a Medical Device's Intended Use Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
K Intended Use wording: What is suitable for the instruction manual? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
P Mandatory wording of Intended Use Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Ronen E Proposed reclassification of Ultraviolet (UV) Lamps intended to tan the skin Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
B New 510k for change to Intended Use - Prescription to OTC 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
K Indication for Use/Intended Use/New Use - Different look but functionally the same 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S Prescription or non-prescription -Labeling/intended use makes the distinction? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
Ronen E Design Considerations for Devices Intended for Home Use (FDA guidance) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
I Confirmation of Computer Software to satisfy Intended Application Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
M 510k Predicates with different Intended Use Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
V Medical Device Intended Use Document - Risk Analysis Documentation Requirements ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 12
B Does a US FDA Class I (exempt) device require a Statement of Intended Use? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
B Using Components not intended for Medical Devices Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
G Additional Intended Use Predicate 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
C Indications for Use vs. Intended Use in User Manual 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
P Excessive Temperature - Parts of equipment not intended to supply heat IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
G Cl 4.2, ISO 14971:2007 - Intended use & identification of characteristics related... ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
A Clause 8.5 Continual Improvement - What is intended by the standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T A confusing Non-conformity - No defined QMS processes intended for 'Management' ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
thisby_ Intended Use vs. Intended Purpose vs. Intended by the Manufacturer - Doubts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
G New intended use - Validation of a class IIb implantable (non-active) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Sidney Vianna Intended Applicability of the Aerospace 91XX Standards AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
T "Indication for Use" used in 510(k) - Indications for Use vs. Intended Use ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Q ISO 9001 Clause 7.6 - Computer software to satisfy the intended application Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
S How to confirm the ability of computer software to satisfy the intended application? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Question about 7.3.6 - Validation - We are unable to elicit the intended application ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Are there any guidelines for writing an Intended Use statement? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
M Quality Manual Quandary - An intended change was not incorporated! Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
Marc Role of ISO 9004:2000 - Not Intended As Guidance For Compliance With ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L A Taiwan company want to sell Class I medical device (510(k) exempt) on Amazon, should we register with FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
F Guidance in English for PMS requirements for Taiwan Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
J What are a Taiwanese Medical device subcontractor's legal responsibilities with Taiwan regulations? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
B Taiwan Medical Device registration - Production or legal office Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
J EU CE Mark Validity in Non EU countries - Brazil. Taiwan, China, Japan, Mexico EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C Registration Process for Medical Devices in Taiwan Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 11