SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Intended Use wording: What is suitable for the instruction manual?

K

Kh_Nadja

Hi All!

We are looking for placing our medical device on the EU market. I am now working with instruction manual for the product.

Mentioning the product Intended Use in the manual is required by many standards.
But the Intended Use for our device is worded more as a legal statement in officialese, so, if placed in the manual as is, it might not make any sense for a lay user to whom the manual is addressed.

Is it Ok to have a simplified wording of Intended Use specifically for the purpose of including it into the user manual? Or shall there be just one and only Intended Use wording for a certain product?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
The instruction leaflet should be written in a way that is clear and understandable to the end user. The purpose of the instruction leaflet is to instruct the end user what the deveice is, what it can be used for, in what circumstances it is not appropriate to use and also how to use it. It is not intended as a legal document to protect the manufacturer.

I would go as far as to say that an unintelligable instruction leaflet would mean that the product does not comply with essential requirement 1!
...This shall include:
— reducing, as far as possible, the risk of use error due to the
ergonomic features of the device and the environment in which
the device is intended to be used (design for patient safety)

K

kgott

Hi All!

We are looking for placing our medical device on the EU market. I am now working with instruction manual for the product.

But the Intended Use for our device is worded more as a legal statement in officialese, so, if placed in the manual as is, it might not make any sense for a lay user to whom the manual is addressed.

If I saw a user manual that was full of legalese I don't think I would touch the product with a barge pole. My first thought is that there is obviously something wrong with it.

sreenu927

Quite Involved in Discussions
You must put the same intended use statement that you have used in your regulatory submissions.
In the instructions for use, as steps or description - you may simplify it.

Else, you can contact your Notified Body!

Regards,
Sreenu

When discussing Intended Use the strict legal requirements that are part of a US FDA submission (Intended Use / Indications for Use) can confuse the situation.

As this is in the EU section of the forums we can, perhaps, restrict ourselves to discussion on Intended Use for EU use. On looking at Annex 1 of the MDD clause 13 - Information supplied by the manufacturer - you will find that Intended Use is not actually used. At 13.4 we have
If the intended purpose of the device is not obvious to the user, the manufacturer must clearly state it on the label and in the instructions for use.
I'm sure that most manufacturer's would like to have Instruction Manuals that can satisfy requirements on both sides of the Atlantic. We get around this by having a "Regulatory Statements" page that includes the US Intended Use and Indications for Use statements and then have the actaul Instructions that (hopefully!) make sense to our users.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Mandatory wording of Intended Use Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
A Intended Purpose on device label EU Medical Device Regulations 7
T Risks of failure to meet intended use ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
ernieto Intended use reagents EU Medical Device Regulations 6
J Significant change related to design and intended use EU Medical Device Regulations 3
U Intended use - Taiwan EU Medical Device Regulations 2
U Intended Users in IFU (Instructions for Use) EU Medical Device Regulations 5
G Same intended use devices - Technical file EU Medical Device Regulations 5
B IEC 60601 Cl. 8.4.3 - ME EQUIPMENT intended to be connected to a power source by a plug / Plug discharge IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
MDD_QNA We have a device with two intended uses and we want to remove one EU Medical Device Regulations 14
K Intended Use-Class I Self Certified - Intended Use and Indications for Use statements EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational FDA order – All manufacturers of surgical mesh intended for transvaginal repair of anterior compartment prolapse (cystocele) to stop selling and distr Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
W IEC 60601-1-2 Susceptibility/Immunity for device intended to be used in patient body IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
O FDA- CDRH - Design considerations for devices intended for home use US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
K Difference between intended purpose and intended use of the device EU Medical Device Regulations 9
O New stability - Yes or No - Similar product but for different intended use EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Definition Intended Results - What does "Intended Results" mean? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
I Medical Device - Bundled 510(k) for multiple intended uses Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
M Devices intended to administer medicinal products - MDD 93/43, Annex I, 7.3 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Q The ability of computer software to satisfy the intended application ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
X IEC60601 Battery powered devices intended for measuring bio-impedance IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
P Updating a Medical Device's Intended Use Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Ronen E Proposed reclassification of Ultraviolet (UV) Lamps intended to tan the skin Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
B New 510k for change to Intended Use - Prescription to OTC 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
K Indication for Use/Intended Use/New Use - Different look but functionally the same 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S Prescription or non-prescription -Labeling/intended use makes the distinction? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
Ronen E Design Considerations for Devices Intended for Home Use (FDA guidance) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
I Confirmation of Computer Software to satisfy Intended Application Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
M 510k Predicates with different Intended Use Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
V Medical Device Intended Use Document - Risk Analysis Documentation Requirements ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 12
B Does a US FDA Class I (exempt) device require a Statement of Intended Use? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
B Using Components not intended for Medical Devices Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
G Additional Intended Use Predicate 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
C Indications for Use vs. Intended Use in User Manual 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
P Excessive Temperature - Parts of equipment not intended to supply heat IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
G Cl 4.2, ISO 14971:2007 - Intended use & identification of characteristics related... ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
A Clause 8.5 Continual Improvement - What is intended by the standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T A confusing Non-conformity - No defined QMS processes intended for 'Management' ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
thisby_ Intended Use vs. Intended Purpose vs. Intended by the Manufacturer - Doubts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
G New intended use - Validation of a class IIb implantable (non-active) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Sidney Vianna Intended Applicability of the Aerospace 91XX Standards AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
T "Indication for Use" used in 510(k) - Indications for Use vs. Intended Use ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Q ISO 9001 Clause 7.6 - Computer software to satisfy the intended application Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
S How to confirm the ability of computer software to satisfy the intended application? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Question about 7.3.6 - Validation - We are unable to elicit the intended application ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Are there any guidelines for writing an Intended Use statement? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
M Quality Manual Quandary - An intended change was not incorporated! Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
Marc Role of ISO 9004:2000 - Not Intended As Guidance For Compliance With ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Ashland78 MSA clause or wording needed. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
P Establishment Registration and Device listing - Wording of 807.20 (a) (6) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3