Inter-relations

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anita Alston

What to do with newfound knowledge

I think the most important thing we can do as managers, employees, or citizens, is model appropriate behavior. Doesn't ethical behavior come down to the Golden Rule: do unto others as you would have them do unto you ?
Anyway, I heard an ethicist state that; and, it makes sense to me. We take in information every day of our lives. We choose our attitudes and behaviors, and the knowledge that we want to share with others. Keep what makes sense to us in improving our environments (work and otherwise), and pass it on, if we think it will be helpful. But, essentially, the most important thing we can do is model the behavior that we would want imparted onto us: integrity, fairness, cooperation, etc. I think what frustrates me most is the incongruities that I see/experience from management officials who talk the talk, but do not walk the walk.
Anita Alston

M

Mike Moran

Sum not equal to all of the parts

Great discussion folks. I have been out of town on business travel, but I have caught up now and like your entries. The numbers can alswaya come out the way management wants them to if the true objective is that the sum equals all of the parts, however that mentality or style bull dozes the people for the sake of the numbers. When that happens, the intangibles kick in i.e.; morale, productivity, days off, not looking out for the best product or purchses for a company....the list goes on and on. The bottom line is that the numbers are one thing, but the human factors play a huge part in how good/bad the numbers are and what the data truly means for a decision.

The classmate submission on writing a paper was a good example, but I agree with Steve; with all of the data gathering the paper should be more than the sum because the writer can add to it their personal touch in putting the story together.

Maybe a bad is a good example. When they all show up and play well, they are great. Throw out a piece and have one or two of the members play while having the flu and you may have a different sound altogether.

T

tammye

class discussion

Hi Steve,
I had replied to this a while ago, but don't see it in the gradebook. Can you double check? Thanks a bunch, I need all the points I can get!
Tammy

B

bmccabe - 2006

Better late than never.
Your question examines a department’s interaction to other internal bodies. Read this and see if you find analogs at a macro level. I can offer only opinion.

The trend of corporate America in the past decade is to outsource employment to off-shore facilities where labor is pennies on the dollar. For a single company, their costs are lower, and margin has increased. As more companies flock to achieve a greater margin, 3rd world countries enjoy more jobs, higher wages, and an increasing quality of living. At the same time, here in America, the reverse is true. This in turn causes the dollar to weaken, and other currencies to strengthen. The profit margin continues to increase due to a favorable exchange rate. Now the exchange rate moves in opposite directions, due to incredible earnings reports from the DOW index – Only this time, fewer people can afford the product, because their jobs were exported, and they now work at Wal-Mart. In a race to achieve the highest possible profit margin and net, the demand pool was drained. Now how much profit can be earned? What now is the median affect – Are all the “parts” summing to a favorable result?

“Business decisions”, at every level, are seldom designed for long term universal benefit.

I tried to explain this before, take a good look –You produce and sell milk. To lower your costs (in hope of increasing profit) you stop feeding the cows. This is corporate Americas mentality – Again, at every level.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
tammye said:
Hi Steve,
I had replied to this a while ago, but don't see it in the gradebook. Can you double check? Thanks a bunch, I need all the points I can get!
Tammy
The gradebook is updated. Sorry for the delay.

L

Lori Beeler

Grade Book

Hi Steve,
I cannot find the grade book. I know I have been there before but darned if I can remember how I got there. Can you give me a clue?
THanks much.
Lori Beeler

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Lori Beeler said:
Hi Steve,
I cannot find the grade book. I know I have been there before but darned if I can remember how I got there. Can you give me a clue?
THanks much.
Lori Beeler
It's under Tools. I have not posted the final course grades as a few people still remain to take the final. Hopefully they will complete tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom