Interim Control Plans

G

GregRus

I've recently started in a machine shop as QE and am trying to make needed improvements. Currently there are no work instructions, process flow diagrams, P/DFMEAs, MSA or control plans. The calibration system is under control and the shop floor operators/machinists are pretty skilled.

I'm trying to balance short term solutions vs long term ones. For short term I plan to use process control plans to start to help with customer returns. Above mentioned tools would follow afterwards.

Any thoughts on this approach? Thx

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
You don't say what type of market(s) you're dealing with, but in any event you should remember that the key in process control plans is having a plan for process control. Simply establishing inspection requirements by edict won't help much in the long run. You need to find out why the customer returns are happening and get control of that.

G

GregRus

Thanks for the response Jim. We make various parts used in industrial applications.
The customer returns are manufacturing defects. There is a real lack of any quality system in place. Right now I'm in fire-fighting mode. My short term intent is to instill some order in some areas and then drive more permanent solutions but this will take some time.
I've been peeling back the onion but am starting to cry.

G

GregRus

In retrospect maybe the broader question should have been when walking into a manufacturing organization like this with next to nothing for a quality management system where is the best place to start?

I'm trying to get my arms around the beast.

O

oldmanian

Greg,
The beast can be hard to attack. I know, when we started on the road to ISO certification we had returns above 7.5%. We decided to concentrate on the returns first and we established a ranking of the parts returned. Concentrating on the part with the largest number of returns we found the main reasons for the rejects and then set up controls over those defect causes, plating, inspection measurements, damage in transit etc.
We found after ten or so products that the reasons for the returns were similar in a lot of the cases. This allowed us to put in place across the board controls for these causes. Attacking the major causes of rejects allowed us to control over 80% of the causes of rejects. Maybe that is a start point for you. Get a plan for control and then chip away at the beast.

S

Shetudubey

Hi GregRus,

I am in same situation that you are in. The way i would do is first get the current work instructions for all the processes. Then compare them with the customer complaints root causes and see what is missing in the work instructions. The key is to understand what is being done and then compare it with what needs to be done. I hope this helps!!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Merging two AS9100 Companies: how to manage interim period AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
P Interim Order Authorization Changes Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
R Design verification for interim design outputs - sampling rationale ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M FDA News FDA Safety communication – Interim Results of Duodenoscope Reprocessing Studies Conducted in Real-World Settings Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S PPAP Levels compared to Interim Class APQP and PPAP 1
D FDA Guidance on Interim Use of ISO13485 for Medical Device Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Supplier PPAP for Interim Materials - Oil to test functionality of finished product IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
G Interim PPAP Guideline and what Documents are Needed APQP and PPAP 3
W Gage Block Interim Test Guidance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
M Can I release an "Approved PPAP" if one purchased component has a Interim Approval APQP and PPAP 2
V Repercussions for Interim Approval of Supplier PPAP's APQP and PPAP 3
V Can I get Full PPAP approval when some components are at interim approval? APQP and PPAP 12
S SFDA Regulation of Medical Device Recall (Interim) - MOH decree No. 82 China Medical Device Regulations 1
R Interim Stages of Medical Device Manufacturing Production ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M 8D timing questions and Interim Action Response Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
A Receiving a 'Major' (Hold Point) during an Interim Assessment Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
D Interim Approval APQP and PPAP 3
A Interim PPAPs - Is this normal for GM, triplication of paperwork? APQP and PPAP 2
K ISO DIS 9001:2000 - Interim Standard ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
J Standards Australia releases Interim 9000-2000 series ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
O Process Flow Diagram, DFMEA, PFMEA, Control Plan integrated softwares FMEA and Control Plans 3
V Over 60 dimensions CMM measurement in control plan APQP and PPAP 4
A Document control system for QMS in Google Drive? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
V Opinion on gauge control graphic General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S ISO 14001 Operational Planning and Control - Proving evidence of communicating environmental requirements to suppliers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
V How to control odour outside paintshop ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
G FMEA versus control plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
K ISO 2859-5 (single run production) control plan issues FMEA and Control Plans 2
E Control Charts ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
E Control of Sterile Barriers made by the supplier Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
E Do anyone have document of automotive production risk and control of risk? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
M X-MR Control Chart Rules (Particularly the MR) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
I Clinical study suppliers (service providers) -- extent of control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
P Product Requirements Control during Design Changes Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
T Control Excel template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
J Document Control of Online Management Software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
R 8.7 Control of Nonconforming Outputs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
W Document control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
S Control plan - Multiple batches Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Q Control Plan and the frequency of sampling FMEA and Control Plans 11
A ISO 9001:2015 8.5.6 and 7.5.3 Document Control Questions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
qualprod Sheets into a spreadsheet document control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Rene Minassian Control of (TMME) Testing and Measurement Equipment Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
C Control Plan APQP and PPAP 7
D Control of Records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
M Document Control - Applying Suitable Identification to Obsolete Documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
L Control of Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
S Control plan for "highly automated processes" FMEA and Control Plans 3
D Document Control Question involving DocuSign US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
R SCORING OF MILLER MARITAL LOCUS OF CONTROL SCALE Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2