Interim PPAPs - Is this normal for GM, triplication of paperwork?

A

Alan Greatbatch

Have any of you guys had to submit 'Interim PPAPs'?
I have a customer, whose end customer is part of the GM conglomerate, that demands an interim PPAP. Which, basically, is a PPAP with some documents missing. We shipped pre-production parts (electronic components) and now have been asked for an interim PPAP consisting of all the documents that we have for a full PPAP plus a timing plan for documents that are not yet ready (R&R studies, Cp&Cpk data, reliability data etc.)plus completion of the "GM-1411 Interim recovery worksheet" (which sadly is not the latest revision on their own website). Is this normal for GM, triplication of paperwork?

------------------
Alan Greatbatch

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C

Christian Lupo

I dont think there is anything "normal" about GM's procedures, and the situation you described does not surprise me. My experience w/GM is: The requirements GM places on your company are SQE/A dependant. I know GM suppliers that have been working from "interim" PPAP's for years! It is not uncommon for a SQE/A to accept a PPAP just to have that persons successor reject it.

L

Laura M

Originally posted by Alan Greatbatch:
Have any of you guys had to submit 'Interim PPAPs'?
and now have been asked for an interim PPAP consisting of all the documents that we have for a full PPAP plus a timing plan for documents that are not yet ready (R&R studies, Cp&Cpk data, reliability data etc.)plus completion of the "GM-1411 Interim recovery worksheet" (which sadly is not the latest revision on their own website). Is this normal for GM, triplication of paperwork?

I've done plenty of interim PPAP's. The interim worksheet should serve as the Timing
Plan. Unless there are so many issues that a separate plan was requested. As for "is this normal for GM, triplication of paperwork? Seems to happen quite often anyways....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Design verification for interim design outputs - sampling rationale ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M FDA News FDA Safety communication – Interim Results of Duodenoscope Reprocessing Studies Conducted in Real-World Settings Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S PPAP Levels compared to Interim Class APQP and PPAP 1
G Interim Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 6
D FDA Guidance on Interim Use of ISO13485 for Medical Device Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Supplier PPAP for Interim Materials - Oil to test functionality of finished product IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
G Interim PPAP Guideline and what Documents are Needed APQP and PPAP 3
W Gage Block Interim Test Guidance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
M Can I release an "Approved PPAP" if one purchased component has a Interim Approval APQP and PPAP 2
V Repercussions for Interim Approval of Supplier PPAP's APQP and PPAP 3
V Can I get Full PPAP approval when some components are at interim approval? APQP and PPAP 12
S SFDA Regulation of Medical Device Recall (Interim) - MOH decree No. 82 China Medical Device Regulations 1
R Interim Stages of Medical Device Manufacturing Production ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M 8D timing questions and Interim Action Response Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
A Receiving a 'Major' (Hold Point) during an Interim Assessment Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
D Interim Approval APQP and PPAP 3
K ISO DIS 9001:2000 - Interim Standard ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
J Standards Australia releases Interim 9000-2000 series ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
Crimpshrine13 PPAPs (How far down the tiers are we supposed to get PPAPs)? APQP and PPAP 19
J Distribution and PPAPs for products they do not manufacture APQP and PPAP 3
M What are Yellow and Green PPAPs for Daimler? APQP and PPAP 4
T Requirement for PPAPs from all Suppliers APQP and PPAP 6
G TS 16949 External Lab for Raw Material Certs for PPAPs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 26
E Being asked to do PPAPs - I'm new to the APQP Process APQP and PPAP 12
V FORD Phased PPAPs Information APQP and PPAP 3
J Annual PPAPs - Keeping Up with Hundreds Of Customers And Hundreds Of Part Numbers APQP and PPAP 12
O Dimensional Results Requirements for PPAPs APQP and PPAP 6
Q Supplier PPAPs - Self Certified - First tier supplier to Ford APQP and PPAP 1
C How Many PPAPs? We currently submit 160+ PPAPs per year APQP and PPAP 6
Gabble Supplier delivery of same material to different manufacturing locations - PPAPs Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
T PPAPs for job shops that produce short run assemblies (i.e 100 to 10,000 units) APQP and PPAP 9
A What regulations must a distributor follow when submitting PPAPs? APQP and PPAP 1
G 1st Articles / Initial Sample Submissions - Requirements for submitting PPAPs Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
T Electronic APQP and PPAPs - Seeking Recommendations Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
E Normal Condition Hazards in Risk Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
adir88 Tools for Normal and Fault Conditions ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
0 Interesting Discussion Analysis of half normal distribution in minitab Using Minitab Software 11
qualprod What is the Normal Flow in an ERP for Manufacturing? Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
A Touch current in single fault conditions test and earth leakage current in normal conditions test, are they really different tests? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
D Do we need normal data for gage r&r studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
L How to evaluate the process capability of a data set that is non-normal (cannot be transformed and does not fit any known distribution)? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
R Non Normal Data in a historically normal process Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
N Apply control limits to a non-normal distribution Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
Q What is the difference between normal and licensed internal auditor? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 9
J Is a stable process also normal at the same time? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
S Jewelry vs. Normal Laboratory Balances - Accuracy and calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R Non-normal Distribution Selection where the system is constantly being corrected Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
J Is My AS9100 certification Auditor Normal? Registrars and Notified Bodies 9
Y Process Capability for Non-Normal Data - Philosophical Questions Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
D Interpreting Normal vs Weibull Capabilities Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4