Internal Audit - Covering all relevant areas - What areas might NOT be relevant?

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Internal Audit

Hi everyone,
I had problem with regards to our Internal Audit that was been conducted but failed to cover all relevant areas as defined in the Master Plan. E.g if the scope include the following: Control of Records, Training and Awareness, Management Review, Document Control, Control of Nonconforming Product. What could be the necessary corrective action if we failed to cover all of them? What could be the best corrective action we could make so that we would not experience the problem?

During audit,we failed to make a clear justification on why such areas were not covered during the audit nor there was a plan to complete the audit...
My question do we need to revise our specs according to our needs? How?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Raffy

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
During your audit cycle you must audit each element of the standard and your organization. Not all elements will apply of course to every part of your organization.

I would say if you got an NC for not auditing something go and audit it. Review your audit plan, make adjustments, and continue to march. If your review indicates that you still do not need to audit certain things for whatever reason, make sure it is documented. It will be hard to justify not auditing those relevent areas that you identified in your Master Plan though.

gpainter

You must follow your audit schedule. If your schedule says audit purchasing once every six months then do it.

M

M Greenaway

Raffy

This is one good reason to use checklists, they ensure coverage of everything you want covered in an audit.

E Wall

Just Me!
Super Moderator
Another take

Raffy, you might also want to consider having someone other than the auditor (we use the plant MR - QA Mgr) review the Audit Report and supporting documentation for closure approval. We are all human and prone to occasional errors which are hard to catch if we've done all the prep and actual work on a project (be it reports, audits, checklists, etc...)

This provides for another pair of experienced eyes to review all information making sure any loops are closed (so to speak) and serves to keep the MR up to date on current status of all audits.

V

Vash Stampede

I think the problem basically is not the system on how you would perform auditing, but basically the auditors who won't perform their job., e.g auditing per se...however ,problem like this is that you must set an alarm. One should be looking on your plans and tracj peridoically who were the auditors that who don't perform the job....then if they are not escalate the problem to the higher level for example in your operations meeting where the GM was there to help you solve your problem.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Vash

barb butrym

Your working papers could have a table for n/c observations in the areas listed as global elements....a 0 would indicate that there were none noted...I personally would rather have examples of good samples listed...but hey, not everyone feels like that...what I do is have a desk review of those tables, then assign action/follow up at subsequent audits based on the results...and call that review a major part of the element audit for the year...do a pareto of all audits for management review. I call it horizontal auditing.

So........if I were doing an audit of doc control i would look at/audit the procedure for change and approval review ECNs(or whatever)...then i would check the tables of the audits (am now using a data base for this) and see what renegade doc issues, distribution, rev issues, etc were noted..saves me from going out into the entire factory on a hunt....the resulting report is the audit for doc control...

Do the same for records, training, n/c stuff, calibration, policy, resourses, communication, id & trace, insp status, ESd, safety, storage etc.... Saves mega time and covers more area.......

did i go off in the wrong direction? i read the original post quickly..if i did ...sorry

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Internal Audit Training Material covering ISO 9001, ISO 14001 & OHSAS 18001 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
C Internal audit checklist covering various standards/regulations Internal Auditing 2
U Internal Auditor not trained but done Audit for some process Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
B Looking for 10 Internal Audit Online Training Participants ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 7
F Internal Audit before Pre-Assessment ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Q Internal audit plan template Internal Auditing 6
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G Addressing Non-Conformances from an Internal Audit that are not product related ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
S Internal audit discrepancy - We missed a few audits that were scheduled Internal Auditing 12
Raffy ISO 14001 9.2.2 Internal Audit Programme Content Internal Auditing 9
N Internal Audit Schedule – Who gets to set the schedule? Internal Auditing 16
V IATF 16949 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Program - "Process Changes" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
G Non Conformance During ISO 9001 Audit - Not All Internal Audits Completed General Auditing Discussions 19
B Using external FDA and ISO 13485 audit as internal audit Internal Auditing 6
T Internal Audit Schedule when Hiring Out Internal Auditing 7
D ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Training Advice Internal Auditing 10
M Internal audit consultant ISO 13485 (English speaker) Consultants and Consulting 3
S Implementing a 45001 Health & Safety standard - Internal audit plan wanted Internal Auditing 1
F Internal Audit - Procedure example Internal Auditing 5
C Internal Audit - Process Clause Matrix / Audit Checklist ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
CPhelan Internal audit - Combine similar nonconformities in one or keep separate? Internal Auditing 6
M Internal Audit Plan in Retail Internal Auditing 10
D Management of NC after internal system audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
A Purchasing - Internal Audit Questions Internal Auditing 8
N Comprehensive Compliance Matrix for Internal Audit Checklist Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
W Where to begin with an ISO 9001:2015 internal audit Internal Auditing 13
D Internal audit forms or checklists for a medical/veterinary laboratory General Auditing Discussions 5
E Informational Internal Audits - Wear multiple hats what can and can't I audit (so I'm not auditing my own work) Internal Auditing 149
E ISO 9001:2015 - Internal Audit Plan Clauses General Auditing Discussions 8
S Internal Audit Checklist for Application/Software development IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
S Internal Audit - Risk and Opportunity (ISO 9001:2015 ) Internal Auditing 1
F API Spec Q1 9th Edition Surveillance Audit - Questions about internal audits. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 23
Ashland78 IATF 16949 Internal Audit Checklist Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
Ed Panek Root Cause CAPAs from internal audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
K Student wanting Case Study about Internal Audit Report Internal Auditing 1
R How far apart can you schedule separate areas or departments in your internal audit? Internal Auditing 4
D Auditing Our Outsourced 2nd-3rd Party Internal Audit Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
A API Spec Q1 9th Edition - 12 month Internal Audit Schedule Audit Nonconformance Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
J Microsoft Teams to manage Internal Audit System? Internal Auditing 3
tony s An organization's Internal Audit Office certified to ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
Tagin Does ISO 9001:2015 require a full internal audit annually? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
S GM/VP softgrading internal audit finding - need feedback from an audit guru! General Auditing Discussions 11
M Internal Audit Assessment Criteria - ISO 13485:2016 Internal Auditing 21
V Process and Internal Audit Criteria matrix wanted Internal Auditing 8