Internal Audit Frequency - Remote Site (a Design Center)

Can anyone point me to the rule that defines the frequency of internal audits of a remote site, specifically a 200-person Design Center for a Design Responsible world leader in electronics?

I say it should be at least once every 12 months (gut feel, I know I should have it in writing). One of our clients is saying another consultant advised every 36 months and that the registered company management make that call based on a ‘risk assessment’. If anyone has any concrete guidance on this, it would be much appreciated.

The client is not yet registered to IATF 16949 and hasn't selected a registrar. They are a very large global brand who is now getting some pressure to be registered to IATF 16949 (Been registered to ISO 9001 since 1987; however, while they ARE design responsible, they conveniently ‘excluded’ that from their ISO 9001 registration (!!) with the blessing of their registrar. Clearly this will not be acceptable in the new IATF registration. (Can I assume the registrar would audit the remote site above every 12 months?)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Re: Question on Internal Audit Frequency - Remote Site (Design Center)

The only customer specific requirement that I know of, on this subject is the one from Volkswagen which requires "self audits" on a yearly interval.

Short of that, internal audits of remote support sites should always use status, importance, past performance, risk, etc... as inputs into the frequency determination. As the CB will assess the remote site on an annual basis, it would behoove the organization to do the same.

Roland Kelly

Starting to get Involved
I agree with Sidney.

From IATF Rules 5th Edition

5.5 Supporting activities
Supporting functions on site or remote (e.g., product design, contract review, purchasing, warehouse, etc.) shall be audited as required to support a site but shall be included in the initial stage 2 audit, at least once more during the surveillance audit cycle and at the recertification audit. The only exception is that clients with product design responsibility shall have their design unction(s), on site or remote, audited at least once within each consecutive twelve (12) month period.

When planning the initial stage 2 audit, the remote supporting function shall be audited prior to the site.

Regards,
Roland Kelly
Omnex, Inc.
Menlo Park, CA +1 (650) 208 8803 Cell

Can anyone point me to the rule that defines the frequency of internal audits of a remote site, specifically a 200-person Design Center for a Design Responsible world leader in electronics?

I say it should be at least once every 12 months (gut feel, I know I should have it in writing). One of our clients is saying another consultant advised every 36 months and that the registered company management make that call based on a ‘risk assessment’. If anyone has any concrete guidance on this, it would be much appreciated.
There are no "rules" defining the frequency for INTERNAL audits. As has been mentioned, the internal audit program should be based (as IATF states) on importance and in consideration of changes and past audits. So, since the design process is critical in defining "quality" it's unlikely that once a year is going to be sufficient - even if a CB auditor buys into once a year. Take a look at your design process and ask yourself "does it perform to plan?". Do you have problems meeting schedules? Do products need changes after the design is released? Do you have test failures, or the testing delay the release of product? Are your designs "right first time", in basic terms? If not, do some audits to find out why!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P IATF 16949 - Internal Audit Frequency Requirements Internal Auditing 2
F Changing the Frequency of Internal Audits - ISO/TS 16949 Internal Audit Requirements Internal Auditing 5
Q Reducing the Frequency of Audits - Internal Audit Programme 2012 Internal Auditing 13
D Internal Audit Frequency - What does "at Planned Intervals" mean? Internal Auditing 14
pammesue Advice about Internal Audit Frequency Internal Auditing 3
R Ideal Internal Audit Frequency and Scope - ISO 9001 Internal Auditing 6
B Internal audits 3 year plan? Internal audit frequency Internal Auditing 23
GStough Internal Audit Frequency Schedule: Monthly, Quarterly, or Bi-Annually? Internal Auditing 46
G Determining Internal Audit Frequency - ISO 9001 Clause 8.2.2.4 Internal Auditing 15
L Internal Audit Schedule - Frequency of internal audits Internal Auditing 9
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 4
F Internal Audit before Pre-Assessment ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Q Internal audit plan template Internal Auditing 5
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G Addressing Non-Conformances from an Internal Audit that are not product related ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
S Internal audit discrepancy - We missed a few audits that were scheduled Internal Auditing 12
Raffy ISO 14001 9.2.2 Internal Audit Programme Content Internal Auditing 5
N Internal Audit Schedule – Who gets to set the schedule? Internal Auditing 16
V IATF 16949 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Program - "Process Changes" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
G Non Conformance During ISO 9001 Audit - Not All Internal Audits Completed General Auditing Discussions 19
B Using external FDA and ISO 13485 audit as internal audit Internal Auditing 6
T Internal Audit Schedule when Hiring Out Internal Auditing 7
D ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Training Advice Internal Auditing 10
M Internal audit consultant ISO 13485 (English speaker) Consultants and Consulting 3
S Implementing a 45001 Health & Safety standard - Internal audit plan wanted Internal Auditing 1
F Internal Audit - Procedure example Internal Auditing 5
C Internal Audit - Process Clause Matrix / Audit Checklist ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
CPhelan Internal audit - Combine similar nonconformities in one or keep separate? Internal Auditing 6
M Internal Audit Plan in Retail Internal Auditing 10
D Management of NC after internal system audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
A Purchasing - Internal Audit Questions Internal Auditing 8
N Comprehensive Compliance Matrix for Internal Audit Checklist Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
W Where to begin with an ISO 9001:2015 internal audit Internal Auditing 13
D Internal audit forms or checklists for a medical/veterinary laboratory General Auditing Discussions 5
E Informational Internal Audits - Wear multiple hats what can and can't I audit (so I'm not auditing my own work) Internal Auditing 144
E ISO 9001:2015 - Internal Audit Plan Clauses General Auditing Discussions 8
S Internal Audit Checklist for Application/Software development IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
S Internal Audit - Risk and Opportunity (ISO 9001:2015 ) Internal Auditing 1
F API Spec Q1 9th Edition Surveillance Audit - Questions about internal audits. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 23
Ashland78 IATF 16949 Internal Audit Checklist Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
Ed Panek Root Cause CAPAs from internal audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
K Student wanting Case Study about Internal Audit Report Internal Auditing 1
R How far apart can you schedule separate areas or departments in your internal audit? Internal Auditing 4
D Auditing Our Outsourced 2nd-3rd Party Internal Audit Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
A API Spec Q1 9th Edition - 12 month Internal Audit Schedule Audit Nonconformance Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10