SBS - The best value in QMS software

Internal Audit Guidelines for someone new

K

keipee

hi!
I'm always reading from this site and find the information very useful..However, this is my first time to post and hopefully gain positive results. I worked for a manufacturing company whose majority of employess are fresh graduates. We are currently working towards ISO 9001, 14001 and 18001 certification. We have finished our internal audit and about to draft our first audit report. We are consulting an employee from our sister company but she cant extend her full time support to us. I am doing the initiative to research on how to go about the certification. I am only the lead auditor and not the management representative, our management representative apparently is not that devoted to our target certification. Can you please give me some guideline about all aspects of internal auditing? I just want assurance that we are on the right track. Please help!!! Thanks :)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: Internal Audit Guidelines

Hello keipee, and welcome among the posters. :bigwave:
Can you please give me some guideline about all aspects of internal auditing? I just want assurance that we are on the right track.
Wow... What an interesting first post, and of course we will try to lend you a helping hand. Your apparent enthusiasm alone is a hint about being on the right track. :agree1: However, it would make things simpler if you could break that "all aspects of internal auditing" down into more manageable portions, by asking specific questions (just like I imagine that you do during an audit).

First off, I suggest that you tell us about that first audit, and how it went. Did you encounter any snags?

/Claes

Last edited:

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin

Welcome to the Cove keipee :bigwave:

I suppose this would have been covered when you completed the Lead Auditor course, right ?

K

keipee

hi!
let me just give a background regarding our company. We are very lean muti-funtional organization with only one product line. We presume that documentation and implementation would not be that difficult but my colleagues had a very time to squeeze in documentantation and other activities to their loaded schedule. Our part time consultant (not actually consultant but an employee from our sister company who helps us, we refer her as such), draft the audit matrix, audit plan and schedule. Still I would like to have some idea how to make those. By next year, we'll be working on our own.
Our internal audit, I think is good enough for beginners except that we were not able to meet the schedule because of concerned personnel availability. We did not even conduct audit for the top management and marketing(both function of the management since we are mutifunctional organizarion). They are reluctant about it. Our audit findings are not yet signed. We have a form for audit findings. Is consistency in formatting required? Some auditors only put the affected clause number without the title, some include both. Also, I have no idea how to prepare an audit report. As of the moment, Im still searching and asking questions. After the report, what I know is that I need to convert findings to request for corrective action, but I dont which of the findings should be converted to corrective action. Is there a guideline? Should I follow certain rules? Or is it base on my judgement? After the corrective action, what's next? I hope this doesn't sound stupid. I have not attended the lead auditor course and I think we don't have ample time for that. Our target is to get certified by early January, 2010. Please guide me.

B

brahmaiah

hi!
I'm always reading from this site and find the information very useful..However, this is my first time to post and hopefully gain positive results. I worked for a manufacturing company whose majority of employess are fresh graduates. We are currently working towards ISO 9001, 14001 and 18001 certification. We have finished our internal audit and about to draft our first audit report. We are consulting an employee from our sister company but she cant extend her full time support to us. I am doing the initiative to research on how to go about the certification. I am only the lead auditor and not the management representative, our management representative apparently is not that devoted to our target certification. Can you please give me some guideline about all aspects of internal auditing? I just want assurance that we are on the right track. Please help!!! Thanks :)
The attached files are useful for the conduct of internal audit.
You may request again for any further clarifications.
V.J.Brahmaiah

Attachments

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin

Welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

It does indeed look like you have challenges to face. The biggest ones I can perceive from here is the cooperation from auditees. I also struggle with that: Incomplete audit responses, or lack of a response of any kind. For that you might need what we call an escalation process: if no response by ___ time frame, the thing gets elevated as a Management Action Notice to the next higher up - every time, right up to CEO if need be. In this way you can show the audit is a process, not an approach. Such a thing needs to be clearly defined in the audit process document; I hope you have one.

The same document also should have the form to be used for recording requests for corrective action, and auditors need to use the form properly. To help that occur, the form should be clear and easy enough to use, yet have everything you need for the thing to be used as a record for understanding what was found, what the cause was determined to be, what action was set out for the issue and what the effectiveness review found to verify resolution.

I've learned that audit reports don't need to be lengthy. I used to write things that I believe could help process owners improve their effectiveness, but it looks like most people didn't read them anyway. :( Maybe they don't have time, maybe it just looks like Jedi speak to them.

But the audit report should have a minimum of information. I did a search in our Post Attachments (see the green button in the header of this page) and found this list of things pertaining to audits. Maybe you could look through them and get some insight that could help. Feel free to use and/or adapt them for your work.

This thread
includes a number of example audit reports.

As for a guideline for all aspects of auditing, I have found ASQ's Certified Quality Auditor book to be good (disclaimer: I am an ASQ member) but if you want something right now, for free, I found this guidebook for you.

I hope this helps!

hi!
It appears to me as if you may be 'lead auditor' in title only. Have you had some formal training of any kind? To be asking such basic questions fills me with doubt, here's why:-

If the plan is to be certified in January next year, there will have to be some pretty major changes to your audit competencies (and that of any workers doing audits - since they appear to not be doing a good job). It also sounds as if they are auditing to the ISO standard(s) not to the internal quality management system - your processes. They (and you) shouldn't be worried about 'clauses' and it sounds to me like they don't have a very good 'grasp' of that either....

Not only is it highly likely you will get a major NC for your internal audit program but because your audits were in effective - since the auditors were not competent to evaluate your quality management system, you are also highly likely to find major non-conformities in other parts of the system.

I'd suggest you either find someone who is a properly qualified, experienced auditor to work with you, coach you, or have them do your audits. Either way, if you want to continue with your audits, you or someone needs to get some practical help. This stuff can't be learned from a book........

K

keipee

Thanks guys!
This forum is great! I know that I can always find good, quick responses.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

Hi,
best luck to you!
Besides, all the good tip of the previous posts,I would like to suggest a gap assessment on the systems you are in plan to be certified for.
This could allow the see the entire organization, involving all the process owner and creating awareness and a common ground to pursue for this important achievement.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q SPC Internal Assessment Check List or Audit Guidelines Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
J TS 16949 Internal Audit Guidelines Internal Auditing 1
A Add MDSAP to Internal Audit Schedule Medical Device Related Regulations 0
J IATF 16949 Internal Audit question - Auditor's responsibility Internal Auditing 6
S IATF 16949 Internal Audit Example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
R AS9100D internal audit checklist or ISO 9001 2015 to AS9100 D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M ISO 13485:2016 internal audit checklist Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
A Internal Audit Questions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
salaheddine96 Internal audit planning Internal Auditing 2
M ISO 9001 Major Nonconformance Internal Audit Schedule/COVID-19 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
E MDR internal audit Internal Auditing 1
U Internal Auditor not trained but done Audit for some process Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
B Looking for 10 Internal Audit Online Training Participants ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 7
F Internal Audit before Pre-Assessment ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Q Internal audit plan template Internal Auditing 12
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G Addressing Non-Conformances from an Internal Audit that are not product related ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
S Internal audit discrepancy - We missed a few audits that were scheduled Internal Auditing 12
Raffy ISO 14001 9.2.2 Internal Audit Programme Content Internal Auditing 10
N Internal Audit Schedule – Who gets to set the schedule? Internal Auditing 16
V IATF 16949 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Program - "Process Changes" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
G Non Conformance During ISO 9001 Audit - Not All Internal Audits Completed General Auditing Discussions 19
B Using external FDA and ISO 13485 audit as internal audit Internal Auditing 6
T Internal Audit Schedule when Hiring Out Internal Auditing 7
D ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Training Advice Internal Auditing 10
M Internal audit consultant ISO 13485 (English speaker) Consultants and Consulting 3
S Implementing a 45001 Health & Safety standard - Internal audit plan wanted Internal Auditing 1
F Internal Audit - Procedure example Internal Auditing 5
C Internal Audit - Process Clause Matrix / Audit Checklist ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
CPhelan Internal audit - Combine similar nonconformities in one or keep separate? Internal Auditing 6
M Internal Audit Plan in Retail Internal Auditing 10
D Management of NC after internal system audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
A Purchasing - Internal Audit Questions Internal Auditing 8
N Comprehensive Compliance Matrix for Internal Audit Checklist Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
W Where to begin with an ISO 9001:2015 internal audit Internal Auditing 13
D Internal audit forms or checklists for a medical/veterinary laboratory General Auditing Discussions 5
E Informational Internal Audits - Wear multiple hats what can and can't I audit (so I'm not auditing my own work) Internal Auditing 149
E ISO 9001:2015 - Internal Audit Plan Clauses General Auditing Discussions 8
S Internal Audit Checklist for Application/Software development IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
S Internal Audit - Risk and Opportunity (ISO 9001:2015 ) Internal Auditing 1
F API Spec Q1 9th Edition Surveillance Audit - Questions about internal audits. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 22
Ashland78 IATF 16949 Internal Audit Checklist Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
Ed Panek Root Cause CAPAs from internal audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
K Student wanting Case Study about Internal Audit Report Internal Auditing 1