Internal Audit - Is This A Nonconformance?

C

Carla

Internal Audit

I am conducting internal audits and when performing the one for management responsibility, I questioned the auditee about responsibility and authority and benchmarking. This "manager" had written procedures (which I knew he had) but at the time of the audit did not remember he had written them. I pointed out that the procedures existed and he pretty much made a joke about it, stating that these were pretty good procedures he had written.

Can I write a non-conformance for him not knowing he has procedures he should be following? Note: I could not prove that the procedures were not being followed.
If I can write a non-conformance for this what section would it be under?

Thanks,
Carla

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Bruce Epstein

one auditor's view

Personal opinion:

IF the procedure is being followed, and IF when asked how he operates, this "manager" describes the process that is defined in the procedure, then for me, this indicates that the quality policy and management system are indeed well understood and implemented within the organization.

Nowhere in ISO9001:2000 does it state that anyone needs to be able to cite chapter and verse of the procedures, rather that they exist, are respected, and are periodically reviewed for suitability, applicability and effectiveness.

However, if you wanted to make a point, I would report a "remark" (not an NC) against chapter 5.3 phrase d: "Top management shall ensure that the quality policy is communicated and understood within the organization".

Other opinions?

Bruce

M

M Greenaway

I agree with Bruce.

You could not say that the documented system was not being followed, and you could not say that the system was ineffective. These are the two crucial issues in an audit (effectiveness probably more so than compliance).

You might argue that the document was 'not available at the point of use' if you want to argue that the managers inability to locate the document means that it was un-available. But it is a pretty minor issue in itself.

You might use it as an audit trail to see if he can locate other applicable documents that he might use. If he is unable to locate any quality system documentation it might give more weight to an NC.

Just goes to show that no-one actually uses procedures !

R

Randy Stewart

I agree with the other comments also. The one issue I would look at is how can the procedure be reviewed for applicability if the approval authority doesn't know it exists? If you have evidence that the procedure is being followed I would hesitate in writing an NC. I would look at it more as the system is working but you need a little tune up to ensure the procedures maintain their applicability.
:bigwave:

A

Aaron Lupo

Re: Internal Audit

Originally posted by Carla

Can I write a non-conformance for him not knowing he has procedures he should be following? Note: I could not prove that the procedures were not being followed.

Thanks,
Carla
No, if you have nothing that supports your n/c. You should have objective evidence that the procedure is not being followed then how can you write the n/c what would you to support it? It is very difficult to wite an n/c with no evidence. JMHO

T

tomvehoski

I believe you can write a nonconformance against this.

ISO 9001: 2000 4.1 General Requirements: "The organization shall establish, document, implement and maintain a quality managment system..."

In this case a procedure has been established and documented, but not implemented effectively. I would not have a problem if someone could not recite the procedure from memory, but not knowing of the existance of procedures that relate to one's job is an indication of lack of implementation and maintenance.

If this is someone responsible for management and involved in management review, there may also be a nonconformance against 5.6.1 "Top management shall review the organization's quality management system..." How can the system be reviewed if management does not know it exists?

It may not be a huge nonconformance, but it is something that should be documented and corrected.

M

M Greenaway

Tom

I would consider the procedure implemented effectively if the guy is doing what it says in the procedure. Just because he cannot put his hand on it does not mean it isnt effectively implemented.

Also with regard to management review you could know the system exists without knowing every single procedure in it.

Still dont think its an NC.

E

energy

Re: Internal Audit

Originally posted by Carla

Thanks,
Carla
Here we go. :vfunny: I agree with M. Greenway on this one. Believe it?
Carla, You couldn't prove that the procedures were not being followed. Put your pen away, even though you are bent on writing an N/C. You're job isn't to issue N/C's. It's to ensure compliance to the standard/procedure. If you can't find something to write up, don't feel bad. You still did your job.:ko: :smokin:

M

M Greenaway

Right on Jim.

I was also going to suggest that the procedure was not required.

.....and energy agreed with me !! that has really made my day :bigwave:

R

Randy Stewart

Well **** MI is freezing over today, could there be a connection with Energy agreeing with M G ???????

:biglaugh:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A API Spec Q1 9th Edition - 12 month Internal Audit Schedule Audit Nonconformance Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
R Internal Audit Scope Requirements - Audit Nonconformance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
Q Raising a Major Nonconformance during an Internal Audit Internal Auditing 23
E "Internal" CAPA (Audit Nonconformance) Issuance to your own Department Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
J Auditing the Internal Auditing Process - Audit Nonconformance General Auditing Discussions 3
R Internal Audit Report Nonconformance Follow Ups Internal Auditing 5
S Do you tie a Nonconformance (NC) into the last Internal Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
E Internal Audit Nonconformance Classification Internal Auditing 18
S External Auditor Findings when an Internal Audit found a Nonconformance Yesterday Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
T Incorrect Data in Inventory List - Internal Audit Nonconformance Nonconformance and Corrective Action 33
P Lack of 3rd Shift Internal Audit - Major or Minor NC (Nonconformance)? Internal Auditing 17
P Internal Audit NC (Nonconformance) is not closed - Is it a nonconformity? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
C SA 8000 Internal Audit - Anyone knows what a nonconformance in 9.7/9.7a be like? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 14
S TS 16949 Clause 8.5.2 Audit Nonconformance for not issuing internal CARs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
Antonio Vieira The importance of some processes... Internal Audit, Management Review, Nonconformance Management Review Meetings and related Processes 3
C Internal Audit Training Help - Audit Nonconformance Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 11
J Nonconformance reports written only through internal audit findings? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
A Definition Major vs. Minor Nonconformance (Finding) - Internal Audit - Definition & Differences Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 38
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 4
F Internal Audit before Pre-Assessment ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Q Internal audit plan template Internal Auditing 5
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G Addressing Non-Conformances from an Internal Audit that are not product related ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
S Internal audit discrepancy - We missed a few audits that were scheduled Internal Auditing 12
Raffy ISO 14001 9.2.2 Internal Audit Programme Content Internal Auditing 5
N Internal Audit Schedule – Who gets to set the schedule? Internal Auditing 16
V IATF 16949 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Program - "Process Changes" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
G Non Conformance During ISO 9001 Audit - Not All Internal Audits Completed General Auditing Discussions 19
B Using external FDA and ISO 13485 audit as internal audit Internal Auditing 6
T Internal Audit Schedule when Hiring Out Internal Auditing 7
D ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Training Advice Internal Auditing 10
M Internal audit consultant ISO 13485 (English speaker) Consultants and Consulting 3
S Implementing a 45001 Health & Safety standard - Internal audit plan wanted Internal Auditing 1
F Internal Audit - Procedure example Internal Auditing 5
C Internal Audit - Process Clause Matrix / Audit Checklist ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
CPhelan Internal audit - Combine similar nonconformities in one or keep separate? Internal Auditing 6
M Internal Audit Plan in Retail Internal Auditing 10
D Management of NC after internal system audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
A Purchasing - Internal Audit Questions Internal Auditing 8
N Comprehensive Compliance Matrix for Internal Audit Checklist Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
W Where to begin with an ISO 9001:2015 internal audit Internal Auditing 13
D Internal audit forms or checklists for a medical/veterinary laboratory General Auditing Discussions 5
E Informational Internal Audits - Wear multiple hats what can and can't I audit (so I'm not auditing my own work) Internal Auditing 144
E ISO 9001:2015 - Internal Audit Plan Clauses General Auditing Discussions 8
S Internal Audit Checklist for Application/Software development IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1