Internal Audit Major Nonconformity or Not?

H

HRMaribeth

Hello:

I am in the midst of an internal audit within a smaller "machine shop" manufacturing company. While auditing quality and the CAR/PAR section. I asked how many CARs were written since my last internal audit (1 year ago). The answer was 18. As I reviewed these CARs, I found that all of these CARs were written by me, the auditor during our last two internal and external audits. Meaning: no one within the company has utilized the CAR/PAR system! To me... this is a system failure! ... or is it? Can it be written as a major nonconformity?? We may be improving but we have no record of it! How do you all feel about this? Would you write this as a major or minor nonconformity?

I need to open everyone's eyes and make them aware of the system we have in-place needs to be utilized.

Thank you for your thoughts on this on.. I would really appreciate your input.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

Reg Morrison

In my mind, the best way to make the employees use and improve the QMS is by relating real-case problems the organization had to endure.

Are you able to identify serious customer complaints, repeat problems, returned product, loss of revenue due to quality problems, etc?

If so, you should be able to demonstrate to the organization's top management and workforce how exercising their systems and processes, including the corrective action loop should have helped them in AVOIDING some of those problems. It is imperative that corrective action is perceived as a positive thing in the real world.

Out of the 18 corrective actions, can you make a correlation how things have improved for the business? Unless people clearly understand how corrective actions help them in avoiding repeat mistakes, crisis, fires, long days, stress, etc., the WIIIFM factor has not been used effectively.

Writing another CAR, major, critical, lethal (or any other superfluous categorization) would seem counter intuitive at this time.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Hello:

I am in the midst of an internal audit within a smaller "machine shop" manufacturing company. While auditing quality and the CAR/PAR section. I asked how many CARs were written since my last internal audit (1 year ago). The answer was 18. As I reviewed these CARs, I found that all of these CARs were written by me, the auditor during our last two internal and external audits. Meaning: no one within the company has utilized the CAR/PAR system! To me... this is a system failure! ... or is it? Can it be written as a major nonconformity?? We may be improving but we have no record of it! How do you all feel about this? Would you write this as a major or minor nonconformity?

I need to open everyone's eyes and make them aware of the system we have in-place needs to be utilized.

You don't say what standard is involved, but I would first not classify internal audit nonconformities as major or minor. Having said that, the audit trail should lead you to investigate the number of incidents wherein someone perhaps should have opened a CA. You say that you yourself wrote 18, presumably in a 12-month period, which seems extreme. I'm not suggesting that you were wrong to do it, just that 18 seems like an awful lot if IA CARs.

You also say that your were the auditor for your last two external audits as well as the internal ones. I'm not sure how that's possible. In any event, before you can "ding" anyone for not doing something, you need to be sure that it did indeed need to be done.

H

HRMaribeth

You're right, I spoke too soon and not with great detail. I would ask you to read between the lines. But to clarify.... There were 18 CARs written from both last year's internal audit and the other two audits which were conducted by Perry Johnson (our ISO Registrar) and also from our API external audit. Totaling 18. (API was a *&%$$).

My debate in my head is do I consider it a lack of training, lack of putting in the effort to log into our quality system, lack of understanding the importance of it and just go ahead and let it go and talk to managers later.... OR do I acknowledge it by writing a nonconformity during this internal audit so that a root cause will be defined and management can come up with a corrective action to figure out how to start using the system? Our Registrar will be here in May to conduct a 3-year recert audit. I think it would be wise to address it now so that he sees that I've recognized it and does not wonder the same thing I am now. Hmmm?

Randy

Super Moderator
A very long time ago when I was a young law enforcement officer I realized that I could meet the PD's requirement for "traffic contacts" by finding a "cherry patch" where ticket writing was a no brainer, no strain activity and guess what, I set records for "contacts" but actually contributed nothing to increasing motor vehicle safety.

Now in such a case as you've provided you gotta ask yourself a question "Have I found a cherry patch that results in no value?"

Auditing and the results are centered around a sample process, just because one auditor see's something and another auditor doesn't isn't really a deal unless the sample and circumstances are exactly, exactly the same.

Has every audit conducted by others been absolutely exactly the same as yours?

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
You're right, I spoke too soon and not with great detail. I would ask you to read between the lines. But to clarify.... There were 18 CARs written from both last year's internal audit and the other two audits which were conducted by Perry Johnson (our ISO Registrar) and also from our API external audit. Totaling 18. (API was a *&%$$).

My debate in my head is do I consider it a lack of training, lack of putting in the effort to log into our quality system, lack of understanding the importance of it and just go ahead and let it go and talk to managers later.... OR do I acknowledge it by writing a nonconformity during this internal audit so that a root cause will be defined and management can come up with a corrective action to figure out how to start using the system? Our Registrar will be here in May to conduct a 3-year recert audit. I think it would be wise to address it now so that he sees that I've recognized it and does not wonder the same thing I am now. Hmmm?
Can you let us know if you are Internal to the company or External, just involved in performing the internal audit as a part of some consultancy...

I am an internal auditor. Company employee. Management Rep.
Is this the only internal audit done during the year? When you say you were auditing "quality" and "CA/PAR" are you auditing against the standard, or are you auditing a process of the business and looking at how they use CAR/PARs to help with issues?

Part of the problem may be how the audits are being planned...

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
<snip>

I asked how many CARs were written since my last internal audit (1 year ago). The answer was 18. As I reviewed these CARs, I found that all of these CARs were written by me, the auditor during our last two internal and external audits. Meaning: no one within the company has utilized the CAR/PAR system! To me... this is a system failure! ... or is it? Can it be written as a major nonconformity?? We may be improving but we have no record of it! How do you all feel about this? Would you write this as a major or minor nonconformity?

Has the CAR/PAR system been established and communicated in such a way that it is user-friendly, user-accessible, user-known, and user-believable?

User-friendly | Is it simple and easy to understand? If it's complicated, paperwork-heavy and full of jargon that they do not understand, they won't use it.

User-accessible | Is the system set up that ANYONE can initiate one? Does it require going to a supervisor first?...because that will drop your number right there potentially.

User-known | Do people believe that they are responsible for quality and can initiate reports on discrepancies? Is the process set up to capture real-time product and production issues or is it established to be more about ISO-stuff like audits?

User-believable | Is it something that folks see value in and can believe will positively impact their job and satisfaction? Do people feel they will be taken seriously?

H

HRMaribeth

I did not realize when posting my "question" it would have such a wide array of responses. Your points have been well taken and thank you.

My auditing partner and I have figured out our course of action on this one.

At the end of the day... you must wonder why no one writes a CAR/PAR within our company. To me this is not right. NCRs addressed weekly within our company. There are many NCRs written. We have found that all nonconformities found are issued an NCRs and the Quality Inspector is responsble for them. After rethinking, many/some of these NCRs could have been written as a CAR/PAR and issued to another person other than the quality inspector. Not only will that involve everyone in the CAR/PAR process and get them involved but it will also document to external auditors that we are addressing our nonconformities, assigning responsibility, conducting root cause analysis, assigning corrective action and verifying the effectiveness of them.

Training will be included.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Raising a Major Nonconformance during an Internal Audit Internal Auditing 23
L Internal Re-audit after Major Finding during ISO 9001 Re-Certification Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
K How to categorize Minor, Major or Observation for Internal Audit NCR Internal Auditing 28
P Lack of 3rd Shift Internal Audit - Major or Minor NC (Nonconformance)? Internal Auditing 17
S Establishing Internal Audit Nonconformity Level Criteria - Major vs. Minor? Internal Auditing 46
J Internal Audit Findings - Major vs. Minor Finding - Defining the differences Internal Auditing 14
A Definition Major vs. Minor Nonconformance (Finding) - Internal Audit - Definition & Differences Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 38
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G Addressing Non-Conformances from an Internal Audit that are not product related ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
S Internal audit discrepancy - We missed a few audits that were scheduled Internal Auditing 12
Raffy ISO 14001 9.2.2 Internal Audit Programme Content Internal Auditing 3
N Internal Audit Schedule – Who gets to set the schedule? Internal Auditing 16
V IATF 16949 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Program - "Process Changes" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
G Non Conformance During ISO 9001 Audit - Not All Internal Audits Completed General Auditing Discussions 19
B Using external FDA and ISO 13485 audit as internal audit Internal Auditing 6
T Internal Audit Schedule when Hiring Out Internal Auditing 7
D ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Training Advice Internal Auditing 10
M Internal audit consultant ISO 13485 (English speaker) Consultants and Consulting 3
S Implementing a 45001 Health & Safety standard - Internal audit plan wanted Internal Auditing 1
F Internal Audit - Procedure example Internal Auditing 5
C Internal Audit - Process Clause Matrix / Audit Checklist ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
CPhelan Internal audit - Combine similar nonconformities in one or keep separate? Internal Auditing 6
M Internal Audit Plan in Retail Internal Auditing 10
D Management of NC after internal system audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
A Purchasing - Internal Audit Questions Internal Auditing 8
N Comprehensive Compliance Matrix for Internal Audit Checklist Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
W Where to begin with an ISO 9001:2015 internal audit Internal Auditing 13
D Internal audit forms or checklists for a medical/veterinary laboratory General Auditing Discussions 5
E Informational Internal Audits - Wear multiple hats what can and can't I audit (so I'm not auditing my own work) Internal Auditing 144
E ISO 9001:2015 - Internal Audit Plan Clauses General Auditing Discussions 8
S Internal Audit Checklist for Application/Software development IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
S Internal Audit - Risk and Opportunity (ISO 9001:2015 ) Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
F API Spec Q1 9th Edition Surveillance Audit - Questions about internal audits. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 23
Ashland78 IATF 16949 Internal Audit Checklist Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
Ed Panek Root Cause CAPAs from internal audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
K Student wanting Case Study about Internal Audit Report Internal Auditing 1
R How far apart can you schedule separate areas or departments in your internal audit? Internal Auditing 4
D Auditing Our Outsourced 2nd-3rd Party Internal Audit Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
A API Spec Q1 9th Edition - 12 month Internal Audit Schedule Audit Nonconformance Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
J Microsoft Teams to manage Internal Audit System? Internal Auditing 3
tony s An organization's Internal Audit Office certified to ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
Tagin Does ISO 9001:2015 require a full internal audit annually? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
S GM/VP softgrading internal audit finding - need feedback from an audit guru! General Auditing Discussions 11
M Internal Audit Assessment Criteria - ISO 13485:2016 Internal Auditing 21
V Process and Internal Audit Criteria matrix wanted Internal Auditing 8
S Internal Audit Completion Memorandum Internal Auditing 2