Internal Audit not allowed...

Crusader

Trusted Information Resource
Here is a good one for ya'll...I went into a particular area and the supervisor said that I cannot audit anymore. I cannot speak to anyone about anything in regards to work-related topics. If I want to audit, I am only allowed to speak to their boss ...up in the office. O yeah, and anytime I go in this area, I am reported to the their boss about what I do and who I speak to.

Umm, really? I guess I have grounds for a corrective action and..?? Anyone else run into this before? This BTW is really stupid. And it is annoying. I have to wait to speak to Exec Mgmt when they return from a trade show...

I'm not going to bother speaking to their boss because he is a "disease" to this company and now he is spreading his disease. It was localized, but now it has spread.

Can't wait for Mgmt to return....:popcorn:

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Here is a good one for ya'll...I went into a particular area and the supervisor said that I cannot audit anymore. I cannot speak to anyone about anything in regards to work-related topics. If I want to audit, I am only allowed to speak to their boss ...up in the office. O yeah, and anytime I go in this area, I am reported to the their boss about what I do and who I speak to.

Umm, really? I guess I have grounds for a corrective action and..?? Anyone else run into this before? This BTW is really stupid. And it is annoying. I have to wait to speak to Exec Mgmt when they return from a trade show...

I'm not going to bother speaking to their boss because he is a "disease" to this company and now he is spreading his disease. It was localized, but now it has spread.

Can't wait for Mgmt to return....:popcorn:
Is this a big company - and where is your Boss?

Follow the chain of command or have another auditor do the audits - no need to get excited or am I missing something.

Anyone else run into this before?
Nope... Never. Definitely a new twist.
Not to mention that the supervisor is probably following his instructions
anyway. :notme:
Can't wait for Mgmt to return.
Yeah. Interesting times ahead. :cool:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I believe it is extremely important for organizations implementing a formal quality system to communicate the intent of internal audits, because it is very easy for people to misunderstand internal audits as a witch hunt. Before things get more confrontational, I would sit down with the concerned parties and explain what we are trying to accomplish with the program of internal audits.

If people still resist to the notion of supporting internal auditors performing their jobs, top management has to step in and make it very clear that auditees can not establish unilateral conditions for such assessments to take place.

Have the reasons for the resistance to internal audits been established? Frank dialogue is critical for the greater good of the organization. Before bringing this up to top management, I would try to sort this between the involved parties. In my experience, top management does not like to be brought in to solve internal disputes they expect the people to sort out. Sometimes, they will have to take sides, but it would be much healthier for all involved adults to try to resolve the issue before escalating it, in my opinion and experience.

Big Jim

Admin
I would do what you're doing - Avoid them until their bosses return. Auditing them on their terms would be invalid.

I agree with this. There is nothing to be gained by trying to reason with the unreasonable. Report it to top management as soon as you can and get them involved.

Auditing cannot take place under the control of the auditee.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Is this a big company - and where is your Boss?

Follow the chain of command or have another auditor do the audits - no need to get excited or am I missing something.

Time to send an email to the auditor from your registrar - the auditor should be aware (not blindsided) and they are your best alias in this project.

Crusader

Trusted Information Resource
The even more stupid thing was I asked the "leadman", who I wa attempting to audit, about allowing the registrar to audit and he said no. The same goes for the registrar as does for me.
:bonk:

I'll keep ya informed of what happens. We have a brand new CEO starting this week and he knows all about ISO. He even wants me to look into getting another site on board....rumors...

Big Jim

Admin
The even more stupid thing was I asked the "leadman", who I wa attempting to audit, about allowing the registrar to audit and he said no. The same goes for the registrar as does for me.
:bonk:

I'll keep ya informed of what happens. We have a brand new CEO starting this week and he knows all about ISO. He even wants me to look into getting another site on board....rumors...

There is a group of somebodies that are in for a rude awakening.

Top Bottom