Internal Audit of CNC Programing

paultyler

Involved In Discussions
I am looking for a checklist (questions to ask) to use to audit the CNC programing process in my organization.

Does anyone have some examples?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Paul: It's not sufficient to "do an audit" - before anyone can create a checklist, you have to know a) the audit criteria and b) the objective of the audit.

So, help us out here. What are you auditing CNC programming against and why?

If you have a clear understanding of both these points, then creating a checklist is BEST accomplished by YOU doing it. Anything you might get here is 1) not likely to be what your people do and 2) could need SO MUCH work, you'd be better off writing yourself - and wouldn't take more time than you thought you'd save.

There's another aspect to doing it yourself. It gives you an opportunity to go an have a discussion with the programmers etc and not have them think you 'made this stuff up". It'll be obvious if you have a bunch of questions you're asking and you don't know what or why you're asking them...

Trust me - do it yourself...

paultyler

Involved In Discussions
Trust me - do it yourself...

Thanks for the advice. I have already been there and done that. I made a checklist with some questions after talking to the programers about their process. I was just looking for suggestions.

I am doing a process audit approach.

Last edited:

suffelde

Involved In Discussions
Paul,

Andy is right. What are your internal and external requirements related to this process? Audit the "shalls".

Outside of that, remember to include treating the CNC programming process as a documentation process with all the 4.2 requirements coming into play. Also, consider 7.5.1 as it relates to controls required, and to the extent necessary, 7.6 if you are calibrating the CNC equipment. Don't forget disaster recovery and risk analysis, too. Good Luck.

BTW - there are a few more particulars that I use, but this will get you started.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H AS9100 Checklist for Internal Audit needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 4
F Internal Audit before Pre-Assessment ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Q Internal audit plan template Internal Auditing 6
L Internal audit during COVID-19 restrictions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
O ISO13485 implementation - Are internal audits expected before stage 1 audit? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
N Small Company - Internal audit process - Who does the audit? Internal Auditing 16
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G Addressing Non-Conformances from an Internal Audit that are not product related ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
S Internal audit discrepancy - We missed a few audits that were scheduled Internal Auditing 12
Raffy ISO 14001 9.2.2 Internal Audit Programme Content Internal Auditing 9
N Internal Audit Schedule – Who gets to set the schedule? Internal Auditing 16
V IATF 16949 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Program - "Process Changes" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
G Non Conformance During ISO 9001 Audit - Not All Internal Audits Completed General Auditing Discussions 19
B Using external FDA and ISO 13485 audit as internal audit Internal Auditing 6
T Internal Audit Schedule when Hiring Out Internal Auditing 7
D ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Training Advice Internal Auditing 10
M Internal audit consultant ISO 13485 (English speaker) Consultants and Consulting 3
S Implementing a 45001 Health & Safety standard - Internal audit plan wanted Internal Auditing 1
F Internal Audit - Procedure example Internal Auditing 5
C Internal Audit - Process Clause Matrix / Audit Checklist ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
CPhelan Internal audit - Combine similar nonconformities in one or keep separate? Internal Auditing 6
M Internal Audit Plan in Retail Internal Auditing 10
D Management of NC after internal system audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
A Purchasing - Internal Audit Questions Internal Auditing 8
N Comprehensive Compliance Matrix for Internal Audit Checklist Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
W Where to begin with an ISO 9001:2015 internal audit Internal Auditing 13
D Internal audit forms or checklists for a medical/veterinary laboratory General Auditing Discussions 5
E Informational Internal Audits - Wear multiple hats what can and can't I audit (so I'm not auditing my own work) Internal Auditing 144
E ISO 9001:2015 - Internal Audit Plan Clauses General Auditing Discussions 8
S Internal Audit Checklist for Application/Software development IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
S Internal Audit - Risk and Opportunity (ISO 9001:2015 ) Internal Auditing 1
F API Spec Q1 9th Edition Surveillance Audit - Questions about internal audits. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 23
Ashland78 IATF 16949 Internal Audit Checklist Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
Ed Panek Root Cause CAPAs from internal audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
K Student wanting Case Study about Internal Audit Report Internal Auditing 1
R How far apart can you schedule separate areas or departments in your internal audit? Internal Auditing 4
D Auditing Our Outsourced 2nd-3rd Party Internal Audit Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
A API Spec Q1 9th Edition - 12 month Internal Audit Schedule Audit Nonconformance Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
J Microsoft Teams to manage Internal Audit System? Internal Auditing 3
tony s An organization's Internal Audit Office certified to ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
Tagin Does ISO 9001:2015 require a full internal audit annually? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
S GM/VP softgrading internal audit finding - need feedback from an audit guru! General Auditing Discussions 11
M Internal Audit Assessment Criteria - ISO 13485:2016 Internal Auditing 21
V Process and Internal Audit Criteria matrix wanted Internal Auditing 8
S Internal Audit Completion Memorandum Internal Auditing 2
T Example wanted - Template for internal audit IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
a_bardi Is it possible to exclude internal audit from qms scope? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P Quality objectives - must they include CAPA and internal audit topic? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 28