Internal Audit of our ISO 9001 Quality Systems prior to the Registration Audit

M

maranellohouse

Hi all. I hope I've got this in the correct section, apologies if I haven't.

Bit of background first.
Our company have seconded me into the role of Quality Manager tasked with writing our Quality Management system, a role I've been doing for the past year now. Although I have been working for the Company 30 years, it was in an Operational role and I had absolutely no previous experience of ISO 9001 or how to implement a QMS.
However I have by pretty much by using up all of my brain sells, managed to write our Quality manual and our procedures manual.

The Quality manual is about to be signed off by the management, 3rd draft, pleased with that since it was from scratch.

Which brings me to my point.
My next challenge is to carry out an audit of our new quality systems to see we carry out everything we say we do.
I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of a template, checklist or form to help me build an audit plan.

My boss is very keen to have our company certified by June this year, but I'm very keen to actually get the systems bedded in place because I truly believe it will improve our business greatly.
I've been one of those people who have commented on how we do things wrong and now I have the chance to actually do something about it, so I really don't want to fluff the audit setup now that I've got this far..
So any help you guys can give me on the subject would be very greatly appreciated. I have recently become a lead Auditor in ISO but I'm still learning each day.

Thanks in advance, Stuart

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

harry

Super Moderator
Re: ISO 9001 Quality audit.

......................... Which brings me to my point. My next challenge is to carry out an audit of our new quality systems to see we carry out everything we say we do.
I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of a template, checklist or form to help me build an audit plan. .............................
Welcome to the Cove.

You can use a gap analysis checklist to see if you've covered all grounds. Since there were not much changes in ISO 9001: 2008, the ISO 9001:2000 version is still good. You can find a few of them in our post attachments list.

Alternatively, you can ask for a copy from your potential CB. Many will provide you with one.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Welcome to the Cove!

It's true that registrars will expect to see a complete round of audits done prior to certification visit.

We have a Post Attachments function - see the green button in the header. I did a search using key words "audit plan" and came up with this list.

A search using key words "audit checklist" produced this list.

You get the idea... those attachments are within threads discussing the topics. I am sure you will get a great deal of insight from them.

I hope this helps!

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Hi all. I hope I've got this in the correct section, apologies if I haven't.

Bit of background first.
Our company have seconded me into the role of Quality Manager tasked with writing our Quality Management system, a role I've been doing for the past year now. Although I have been working for the Company 30 years, it was in an Operational role and I had absolutely no previous experience of ISO 9001 or how to implement a QMS.
However I have by pretty much by using up all of my brain sells, managed to write our Quality manual and our procedures manual.

The Quality manual is about to be signed off by the management, 3rd draft, pleased with that since it was from scratch.

Which brings me to my point.
My next challenge is to carry out an audit of our new quality systems to see we carry out everything we say we do.
I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of a template, checklist or form to help me build an audit plan.

My boss is very keen to have our company certified by June this year, but I'm very keen to actually get the systems bedded in place because I truly believe it will improve our business greatly.
I've been one of those people who have commented on how we do things wrong and now I have the chance to actually do something about it, so I really don't want to fluff the audit setup now that I've got this far..
So any help you guys can give me on the subject would be very greatly appreciated. I have recently become a lead Auditor in ISO but I'm still learning each day.

Thanks in advance, Stuart
Hi Stuart,
welcome on the forum.
My advice is to be helped by a quality consultant if you want to reach the goal in a very challenging time.
Your top mgmt shall also sponsor this giving attention and resources,
I would like to suggest to treat this as project with project mgmt approach , otherwise there is the risk to forgot something and not staying in time. The cooperation of all is key as well process approach pursuing for QMS processes.:bigwave:

M

maranellohouse

:bigwave: Hi guys.

Thank you for taking the time to respond and for the links. I'm finding them most useful in basing my audits setup.

Its great to find a place were I can feel comfortable when finding my feet. So thank you for that.

My 2 bosses and myself for now appear to be the ones who get the concept of moving the business on using ISO but not everyone concerned has bought into it yet. Its going to be a challenge moving them out of the silos they have built and been in for quite a few years now, but for us to move in the right direction its very much needed and although at the start I to felt threatened by it, I now welcome the challenge.

I can see how much it will benefit what we do, and if I'm honest I feel privilaged at being asked to put the setup in place. One thing I don't want to do is let the boss down after him putting the confidence in me to do it, so I have to get it right.
No pressure then. :mg:

S

snmurray

It's true that registrars will expect to see a complete round of audits done prior to certification visit.
Is that true of the subsequent surveillance audits as well? In other words, we crammed in several System audits(multiple facilities) early in 2011 prior to our certification audit in March. Are we required to then do the same for the next surveillance audit? Or can when then go to an annual audit Schedule?

I have created an audit schedule for 2012 which is 25% complete, however, I received a non-conformance during my recent surveillance audit. The registrar claims that the audit schedule is not necessarily done by the calendar year but rather on a cycle - from Surveillance audit to Surveillance audit.

That does not sound like a requirement of the standard...

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Is that true of the subsequent surveillance audits as well? In other words, we crammed in several System audits(multiple facilities) early in 2011 prior to our certification audit in March. Are we required to then do the same for the next surveillance audit? Or can when then go to an annual audit Schedule?

I have created an audit schedule for 2012 which is 25% complete, however, I received a non-conformance during my recent surveillance audit. The registrar claims that the audit schedule is not necessarily done by the calendar year but rather on a cycle - from Surveillance audit to Surveillance audit.

That does not sound like a requirement of the standard...
The registrar is wrong unless there's something to the contrary in your contract with the registrar.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Raffy ISO 14001 9.2.2 Internal Audit Programme Content Internal Auditing 3
G Non Conformance During ISO 9001 Audit - Not All Internal Audits Completed General Auditing Discussions 19
B Using external FDA and ISO 13485 audit as internal audit Internal Auditing 6
D ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Training Advice Internal Auditing 10
M Internal audit consultant ISO 13485 (English speaker) Consultants and Consulting 3
W Where to begin with an ISO 9001:2015 internal audit Internal Auditing 13
E ISO 9001:2015 - Internal Audit Plan Clauses General Auditing Discussions 8
S Internal Audit - Risk and Opportunity (ISO 9001:2015 ) Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
tony s An organization's Internal Audit Office certified to ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
Tagin Does ISO 9001:2015 require a full internal audit annually? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
M Internal Audit Assessment Criteria - ISO 13485:2016 Internal Auditing 21
L Please review my ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Plan Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 7
T ISO 13485: 2016 Internal Audit - Is sampling on projects allowed? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
O ISO 9001:2015 Transition Internal Audit completion thread ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
L Need HELP with Internal Audit Program ISO 13485.2003 Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 3
S ISO 9001:2015 - Internal Auditing - Audit to the Standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
P Internal Audit Schedule Complexity (ISO 9001:2015 ) Internal Auditing 3
J Internal Audits - Closing Audit Deficiency Reports (ISO 13485) Internal Auditing 4
Z ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Template/Form Advice Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
T ISO 9001:2015 Clause 9.2.2 Internal Audit - Corrective Action Report Format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Q Incorrectly Performed ISO 9001:2008 Internal Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
B Thoughts on performing an ISO 9001:2015 Remote Internal Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L Auditing Design and Development in ISO 9001 (Internal Audit) Internal Auditing 1
C ISO 9001:2008 Surveillance Audit - No Internal Audits Internal Auditing 9
A Developing a ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Plan and Schedule ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 40
A Internal Audit - Coverage for ISO 9001:2015 Internal Auditing 4
dubrizo Audit Findings: Writing against Internal an ISO Clause Internal Auditing 10
T Suggestions for Internal Audit OFI for ISO 14001 Internal Auditing 2
M ISO 13485 Audit Questions - Internal Auditor Training and other Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
J Can I conduct Internal Audit for combined ISO 9001, ISO 13485 and ISO 14001? Internal Auditing 37
P Is Internal and external audit of Account Department applicable to any ISO standard Internal Auditing 5
P Can internal ISO 17025 Auditor conduct ISO 9001 Audit ISO 17025 related Discussions 7
F ISO/TS 16949 internal audit scope and annual plan Internal Auditing 2
D Internal Audit Checklist for the latest ISO/TS 16949 standard IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
L Who can perform ISO 9001:2008 Internal Audit prior to our Registration Audit? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
C ISO 27001:2013 ISMS Internal Audit Checklist/Questionnaire IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 20
M ISO 13485 Certification - Internal Audit Program Required ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
E Internal Audit Requirements of an ISO 14001 system ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
T Should the Internal audit for ISO 9001 cover all elements of the standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Risk Management (ISO 14971:2007) Internal Audit Checklist ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
P ISO 9001 Internal audit rotation in a small company Internal Auditing 7
G ISO 9001 Internal Audit Checklist ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
C ISO 17025 Internal Audit of an "Internal Audit Process" ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
C ISO/TS16949 Requirements for Internal Audit Trainer IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
I Types of Internal Audit findings based on ISO 9001 Clause 8.2.2 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
Q Interpretation of 8.2.2.4 Internal Audit Plans in ISO TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
L Internal Re-audit after Major Finding during ISO 9001 Re-Certification Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
B Internal Audit Requirements for ISO 9001 Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D ISO 9001:2008 Internal Audit ? Strategic Department Internal Auditing 6
L ISO 13485 Internal Audit Schedule example needed Internal Auditing 9