Internal Audit - Procedure example

Falcon419

Starting to get Involved
We are an ISO 9001:2015 certified company and just went through our recertification. One of the observations was on our Internal Audit program. We have a schedule that lays out the clauses and processes it relates too, we may audit 3 defined areas this quarter and 4 next quarter.... it was mentioned that we should be auditing the areas of the company that we as a quality group are seeing issues rather than following a schedule. I am curious to view other company Internal audit schedules and procedures for some improvement ideas if anyone is willing to share.

Randy

Super Moderator
Is your audit effective for you the way you do it? Yes or No

Does your senior leadership get what they need from the audit the way you currently do it? Yes or No?

If the answers are Yes, continue to march.

If the answers are No, find out what the problems are, correct them and march on.

Don't change a stinking thing because of an auditor's likes or dislikes, comments, wishes or desires.

Eredhel

Quality Manager
So the auditor is suggesting you audit...fewer areas? That's a new one. But no I wouldn't chase that rabbit at all.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Don't change a stinking thing because of an auditor's likes or dislikes, comments, wishes or desires.
There is a REQUIREMENT in the standard that audits should be scheduled based on risk:
"...which shall take into consideration the the IMPORTANCE of the processes concerned, CHANGES affecting the organization, and the RESULTS of previous audits..."
A fixed audit schedule, for the most part, does not comply with the intent of the standard.

John Predmore

Trusted Information Resource
we should be auditing the areas of the company ... seeing issues rather than following a schedule.

I suggest you do both. Your internal audit plan should be both comprehensive (schedule to touch every area every year) and risk-based (pay more attention to areas with known issues) . An annual plan ensures comprehensive coverage, but visit areas with issues more frequently, and reserve time during every periodic audit to evaluate recent Corrective Action Reports or other problem-resolution activities.

Eredhel

Quality Manager
Could we get the actual language from the auditor? I didn't get the impression it was about what Sidney is referencing. I could be wrong tho.

Top Bottom